Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 08:31 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nationalistdefeator View Post
I agree, seems like every time there's some guy who is "refused" service in English it just happens to be a news story, then all the typical redundant Anti-Quebec comments pour in on those kind of articles from CBC,CTV or Global.
I actually find this is unfortunate. This is a community with a rich history, but it's going to be extremely challenging for it to have any kind of viable future if its young people keep getting the message from their elders that Quebec totally sucks as a place to live. The real danger probably lies there.

I don't live in Ontario anymore, but if I did (well, I could anyway since it's right across the river, but what would be the point?) and I went around butting heads with people by insisting that they speak French, and then complained to the media, I could fill the headlines every single day with tales of ''mistreatment''... but what purpose would that serve? Would it actually help the Franco-Ontarian community or hurt it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 11:09 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nationalistdefeator View Post
I agree, seems like every time there's some guy who is "refused" service in English it just happens to be a news story, then all the typical redundant Anti-Quebec comments pour in on those kind of articles from CBC,CTV or Global.
The motivation for this topic was the Longueuil mayors attitude toward English being spoken at council meeting from a representative of a community that has a large Anglo demographic, IMO this attitude represents how the Anglo culture is being marginalized in Quebec and being systematically eradicated by the thousand cuts analogy.Do you think this to be nothing more than just another typical redundant Anti-Quebec news story?I think its a great example of the attitude levied on todays Anglo population in Quebec.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:57 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You focus in on the weirdest things. Almost all Quebec road signs in Quebec are pictograms like in Europe.

What do you want them to do, write ''Rue St-Pierre - St. Peter Street"? Translate the names of towns?
Do you feel that the renaming of towns and streets to French names is needed? Should the Anglo heritage be erased?

Old 07-31-2015, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
You also have MASSIVE issues with the administration of services in New York simply because so many people here don't speak English and don't care to.
The difference is that New York started out it its American life (leaving aside the Dutch interval) as English-speaking. Montreal's French majority was far narrower until the Quebec government began showing its Francophone fangs at the Anglophones. Montreal's Jewish population, for example, dropped from about 150,000 to about 75,000 within a few years of the infamous November 1976 elections. Toronto's correspondingly rose from about 75,000 to 150,000 and hasn't looked back. Should Quebec be permitted to continue forcing out its Jewish and Anglo minorities?
Quote:
Imagine having to be bilingual in a foreign tongue in your own country in order to administer free, taxpayer subsidised services to people who refuse to learn English.
That wouldn't have been a problem if Anglos were not subject to discrimination and more or less forced out.

Quote:
When you impose official bilingualism to cater to a proportionately small percentage of the population, you end up disenfranchising the majority.
Then should the OLA and the corresponding Charter sections be repealed since they "end up disenfranchising the majority" of English speakers in Canada as a whole.

Quote:
Unrelated, but Gatineau is NOT functionally bi-lingual. In fact it is MUCH less bilingual than Montreal. It just so happens that Francophones in Gatineau have higher-than average English skills than Francophones in most of the rest of Quebec (Montreal notwithstanding)
English is effectively a world language. Why would the Francophones not wish to participate in the world?

Old 07-31-2015, 06:26 AM

692 posts, read 957,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The difference is that New York started out it its American life (leaving aside the Dutch interval) as English-speaking. Montreal's French majority was far narrower until the Quebec government began showing its Francophone fangs at the Anglophones. Montreal's Jewish population, for example, dropped from about 150,000 to about 75,000 within a few years of the infamous November 1976 elections. Toronto's correspondingly rose from about 75,000 to 150,000 and hasn't looked back. Should Quebec be permitted to continue forcing out its Jewish and Anglo minorities?
That wouldn't have been a problem if Anglos were not subject to discrimination and more or less forced out.

Then should the OLA and the corresponding Charter sections be repealed since they "end up disenfranchising the majority" of English speakers in Canada as a whole.

English is effectively a world language. Why would the Francophones not wish to participate in the world?
This is comical.

Montreal had a larger Anglophone population at one point but for the overwhelming majority of its history it has been a majority Francophone city founded by French speakers. Montreal's Anglo population that left, did so because they never learnt French and thus couldn't survive in a Quebec that no longer catered to them at the expense of others and refused to treat them as a cut above the Francophone majority. Quebec didn't force out anybody, the people that left were people who made a conscious decision to not adapt to the society in which they lived and basically were throwing a tantrum because they no longer held the privileges they once enjoyed.

Again, someone please explain to me how Anglos are discriminated against when they enjoy at their disposal and in their preferred language:
-Universities
-Hospitals
-Schools
-Media

ALL funded by the taxpayers of Quebec, the majority of whom are Francophone

Literally the ONLY stipulation is that you learn enough french to work and interact with wider Quebecois society. That's it. And yet somehow that was too hard for the Anglos that left. Good riddance.

As for the OLA...that is a FEDERAL law which only applies to the FEDERAL government. Individual provinces are free to write their own language laws, so it's a nonissue. And yes, English is a world language. But most things of any importance that are produced in English almost inevitably get translated into Spanish, French, Japanese, Arabic, Chinese and German...so if you speak another major language (which French just so happens to be) then you don't have that much of a need for English. Most Francophones worldwide don't speak English and get by just fine.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
This is comical.

Montreal had a larger Anglophone population at one point but for the overwhelming majority of its history it has been a majority Francophone city founded by French speakers. Montreal's Anglo population that left, did so because they never learnt French and thus couldn't survive in a Quebec that no longer catered to them at the expense of others and refused to treat them as a cut above the Francophone majority. Quebec didn't force out anybody, the people that left were people who made a conscious decision to not adapt to the society in which they lived and basically were throwing a tantrum because they no longer held the privileges they once enjoyed.

Again, someone please explain to me how Anglos are discriminated against when they enjoy at their disposal and in their preferred language:
-Universities
-Hospitals
-Schools
-Media

ALL funded by the taxpayers of Quebec, the majority of whom are Francophone

Literally the ONLY stipulation is that you learn enough french to work and interact with wider Quebecois society. That's it. And yet somehow that was too hard for the Anglos that left. Good riddance.

What a load of total bs is that what they are teaching kids in the French schools these days?
One can only imagine the attitude that this francophone dispenses to Anglos who have the misfortune to fall into his sphere of influence.

Last edited by jambo101; 07-31-2015 at 08:05 AM..

Old 07-31-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What a load of total bs is that what they are teaching kids in the French schools these days?
One can only imagine the attitude that this francophone dispenses to Anglos who have the misfortune to fall into his sphere of influence.
You beat me to it. What the Francophone argument seems to be is that they'd made life uncomfortable enough for the Anglophones that the Anglophones are forfeit any rights they may have enjoyed.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:10 PM

692 posts, read 957,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
You beat me to it. What the Francophone argument seems to be is that they'd made life uncomfortable enough for the Anglophones that the Anglophones are forfeit any rights they may have enjoyed.
It's the anglos own damn fault they're "uncomfortable". Francophones in the rest of Canada learn English but somehow anglos expect to be catered to in Quebec.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:37 PM

909 posts, read 1,153,566 times
I personally never had issues of a francophone speaking to me in English when I was in Quebec. (though I was in Montreal). However when I was in France, I had many difficulties. So I personally never experienced someone in Quebec refuse to serve me in English, if I did however, I would definitely not freak out like some other anglophones. I would try to speak in my broken French and if that didn't work I would assume they don't speak English and move on. It's ridiculous some of the news stories I heard of English speakers being upset and causing a scene because they weren't served in English. News flash: when you're in Quebec, the main language of life is French, they should know that already.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:39 AM

[quote=GM10;40657301] We get it,thats why almost all Anglos in Quebec are functionally or fluently bilingual and our kids come out of school fully bilingual. For those Montreal Anglos that didnt want to integrate/assimilate into the Quebec mosaic its only a move of 60 miles west or south and French then becomes irrelevant.
The vast majority of francophones outside Quebec dont have to learn English as they are usually several generations removed from their francophone heritage and are basically Anglo from birth, i'd say its the rare unilingual francophone who leaves Quebec and relocates to the ROC. Also those francophones outside Quebec arent subjected to the English equivalent of Bill101 and its language police and a plethora of anti francophone language legislation.,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada