U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2015, 12:47 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,139,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Canada is your country,your homeland and is the home of your culture, Are you embarrassed to express that pride?do you feel ashamed when asked to express your pride of country?Maybe thats the source of some of our differing viewpoints AJ while IMO its an honor to be allowed to express my pride in my country for you its something private to be hidden away or not commented on at all.Canada is a great country and i'm proud to be a citizen of it.
I'm the first to say that we should never be blindly arrogant about our society.. Its far from a perfect one but it is rather peculiar that any display of Canadian pride is met with criticism from some circles.. Lots of nations citizens get out the flag of the home country and show some pride and appreciation for the place.. Its more healthy than being indifferent imo...

Anyway, i'm glad you are a proud Canadian Jambo, this is as much your country as it is any one of us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 01:39 PM

34,381 posts, read 41,471,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

Anyway, i'm glad you are a proud Canadian Jambo, this is as much your country as it is any one of us!
Every modern map i see of Canada has Quebec included as one of Canada's provinces,as such it includes all the peoples and cultures of Quebec being a part of Canada, the whole country is the culmination of all cultures and languages together in one country under one flag,

http://assets.vancitybuzz.com/wp-con...153.jpg?1f48cf

Old 08-09-2015, 06:32 PM

359 posts, read 264,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Jambo, you often criticize Americans for extreme and intolerant political views but the way you try to pigeonhole people in order to squeeze your desired level of Canadian pride and love out of them is precisely the type of thing that many Canadians criticize about the U.S.

Isn't it ironic?
I'd say.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:39 PM

18,273 posts, read 10,374,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
I'd say.
Of course you would!

Old 08-10-2015, 02:23 AM

34,381 posts, read 41,471,780 times
Quote:
Jambo, you often criticize Americans for extreme and intolerant political views but the way you try to pigeonhole people in order to squeeze your desired level of Canadian pride and love out of them is precisely the type of thing that many Canadians criticize about the U.S.

Isn't it ironic?
Are you implying Americans dont have extreme and intolerant political views? I dont see what going to the P&C section of the forum and debating these views has to do with my patriotism for my country Canada.
But if you think i'm trying to in some way induce people to show their patriotism for Canada so what?that seems to only be a problem for Quebeckers who in general are rather confused when the term patriotism for ones country is mentioned.
Are you actually trying to give my patriotism for Canada some sort of negative connotation ?

Old 08-10-2015, 06:33 AM

14 posts, read 14,733 times
Quote:
Equalization for Quebec amounts to about a coffee per person per day. That's not what pays for all of the services Quebec anglophones get in Quebec...If equalization makes such a difference, you'd think provinces like these could also provide gold-plated services to their francophone minorities, no?
I'm not sure why you see it this way. That Quebec anglos may benefit from some services that Quebec does better than other provinces is not Quebec being nice to anglos, it's being nice to everyone there and it would just be illegal to exempt them - hence the exclusion in other less direct ways . The way you have worded it suggests the other provinces are not being nice to francophone minorities when they could be.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:45 AM

14 posts, read 14,733 times
Quote:
Canada is your country,your homeland and is the home of your culture, Are you embarrassed to express that pride?do you feel ashamed when asked to express your pride of country?Maybe thats the source of some of our differing viewpoints AJ while IMO its an honor to be allowed to express my pride in my country for you its something private to be hidden away or not commented on at all.Canada is a great country and i'm proud to be a citizen of it.
I'm British. Not sure 'proud' is the right word but I am proud of certain things that are British or perceived as British. The Health Service (including prescription coverage); The Social Security system (though not as good a safety net as it once was); Oversees Aid; The BBC; sense of fair play; legal system etc

But I have no sense of Pride in "homeland" just because I'm British.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:27 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,348,673 times
Quote:
But if you think i'm trying to in some way induce people to show their patriotism for Canada so what?
Trying to coerce or shame or force people into *feeling* the same sense and level of pride that you have is actually borderline fascist.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Are you actually trying to give my patriotism for Canada some sort of negative connotation ?
It's only negative when you try and force everyone to feel and act the same way you do.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Are you implying Americans dont have extreme and intolerant political views? I dont see what going to the P&C section of the forum and debating these views has to do with my patriotism for my country Canada.
Of course Americans can have extreme and intolerant political views. With your constant pestering about Canadian pride and patriotism, you're simply proving to us that, in spite of the constant denial, some Canadians can be that way too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or