U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 04:48 PM

359 posts, read 264,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Wheres the problem? As long as Quebec remains a Canadian province the active efforts at the curtailment of this civil liberty is the problem.
I dont vote PLQ i vote PQ in an effort to help you achieve your independence.
Take your case to the federal government. Like the freedom party members and other now defunct anglo-lebensraum supporters. The federal government didn't back the anglo minority then, and it won't back you the anglo minority now either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 04:58 PM

34,389 posts, read 41,490,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
Take your case to the federal government. Like the freedom party members and other now defunct anglo-lebensraum supporters. The federal government didn't back the anglo minority then, and it won't back you the anglo minority now either.
The point of the topic is to point out how Quebec is eradicating the English culture, the Longueuil issue i thought to be a prime example of how it happens.
If i really had a problem i'd just move 60 miles west or south and Quebec would all of a sudden be totally irrelevant.In the mean time its a discussion forum and i;m generating discussion,

Old 07-08-2015, 06:25 PM

163 posts, read 154,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
One of the great ironies of Quebec is that Anglo-Quebecers strongly support the Quebec Liberals (PLQ) thinking that the PLQ will protect their rights while the Part Quebecois (PQ) will take them away. The reality is that both parties act virtually the same regarding the Anglo minority. It should come as no shock that Couillard hasn't put his neck on the chopping block by supporting Anglo rights.

The best hope for Anglo-Quebecers is to ditch the PLQ and support independence. Why? Only through independence will English Canadians cease to be a threat. Quebec's insecurities lie in being a French province in an English country. Only through extensive and complicated laws (such as banning English at council meetings) can the Quebecois find the security they crave while remaining in Canada. In an independent Quebec, the Anglo minority of 8% would no longer be a threat, but instead an asset. Imagine the day when knowledge of English is strongly encouraged by Quebec's government and international corporations once again feel comfortable establishing themselves in Montreal. Nonetheless, Anglo-Quebecers will once again vehemently oppose the PQ (and PKP), foolishly believing that the PLQ is looking out for their best interests.
It is maybe a matter of seeing that we who want independence are not as we are portrayed in the English-language media. We do not even have a fair chance there. We are only mentioned to be berated as evil anglo-haters and like that. You make excellent points and I agree with what you have said. It is now in the point where Quebec only has one option which is to move forward so that the language issue is no longer a issue. Actually, in my own opinion, this banning of English is really really stupid and doesn't get us anywhere. So what do we do? You are right, independence solves the problems that prevent us from being stuck as we are now. And after independence the old fear of Anglo-Canada is no longer an issue because an border is there instead of Bill 101 which is only a law. So it would be nice to see my children's children be educated in English fluently and see it valued like it should be. It is sad, because English is the Latin of the world and today it is so hard to really learn it beyond a mild level because we have to protect against the the chance of Quebec disappearing.

Seriously, look at what PBeauchamp says, does he sound like the type of guy you Anglo-Canadians want to work with for next 100+ years? To me this type of thinking is really detrimental to Canada and Quebec. Maybe it's time to say: OK, we are different. But we can be really good friends. Just like Canada and the Us are super friends and similar, but you don't say "OK, let's merge with the US". Of course not, it is respected that Anglo-Canada and America are two countries and you work past that. Why cannot that be like Canada and Quebec? Instead we have guys like PBeauchamp being supported by the ROC.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:33 PM

163 posts, read 154,351 times
And you know I thought I would add this: I know I am probably hated or viewed with suspicion by 99% of the Canda forum because of my name which basically a slogan that means "independent Quebec" in English. But let me ask you to look at everything I have ever said. I never insult Anglo-Canadians. I don't put down my friends at all because they are my friends.

Now look at your friends in Québec like PBeauchamp (who is an adamant supporter of Québec staying in Canada) and you tell me who sounds like your friend. Guys like me want what is best for Canada based on some harsh realities in Québec, but PBeauchamp and his types who support Québec staying in Canada are only doing it to get the money that they can. I will tell you with 100% confidence that if Québec's economy becomes good enough the PBeauchamp types who support a Québec staying in Canada will ditch Canada in an instant. Guys like him are probably 50% of francophones who want to stay in Canada. It is only conditional. "We will stay in Canada if you give us....(insert something)". But for us, it isn't about money or what we can get before ditching you.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:46 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,144,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViveLeQuebecLibre View Post
And you know I thought I would add this: I know I am probably hated or viewed with suspicion by 99% of the Canda forum because of my name which basically a slogan that means "independent Quebec" in English. But let me ask you to look at everything I have ever said. I never insult Anglo-Canadians. I don't put down my friends at all because they are my friends.

Now look at your friends in Québec like PBeauchamp (who is an adamant supporter of Québec staying in Canada) and you tell me who sounds like your friend. Guys like me want what is best for Canada based on some harsh realities in Québec, but PBeauchamp and his types who support Québec staying in Canada are only doing it to get the money that they can. I will tell you with 100% confidence that if Québec's economy becomes good enough the PBeauchamp types who support a Québec staying in Canada will ditch Canada in an instant. Guys like him are probably 50% of francophones who want to stay in Canada. It is only conditional. "We will stay in Canada if you give us....(insert something)". But for us, it isn't about money or what we can get before ditching you.
Quebec gets what its entitled to like any other Province through transfers - so Pbeauchamp or anyone else is misguided if they thinks Quebec is milking the R.O.C and even if it is, Canada is a 1.8 trillion dollar economy, the 8 billion dollars per year it gets is largely an irrelevant pittance not worth much in the way of worry - which is why you don't see a large scale revolt in the R.O.C advocating to kick Quebec to the curb.. There are other provinces whose citizens get more in transfer payments per head than Quebec citizens including a few east of you - I can tell you the R.O.C doesn't really care about that either - it comes with the territory.

Another thing is, even if Quebec's economy becomes 'good enough' as you say to leave Canada (whatever that means to be honest) - there is still a process to follow to reach sovereignty. It isn't just a matter of magic... There still has to be a referendum, there still has to be negotiations of terms with the R.O.C and also First Nations groups within Quebec... If the majority of Quebecers vote for sovereignty I think the R.O.C would endorse negotiations towards that goal (something that we haven't seen happen yet).. What things look like after that is anyone's guess but this is all speculation and we could be talking about what if scenario's until we're all blue in the face. Most Canadians don't lose any sleep over whether Quebec is going to separate or not - if it comes to it, it comes to it.. We hope you stay but I don't think you're going to get the R.O.C to beg for it! You stay because you want to or you (in a majority fashion) decide to go your own way and enter negotiations towards that goal.

Last edited by fusion2; 07-08-2015 at 07:02 PM..

Old 07-08-2015, 08:16 PM

695 posts, read 736,990 times
Quote:
Why is it a problem if the Councillor after speaking in French then wants to translate the proceedings into English for the benefit of his Anglo constituents in Greenfield Park? a totally legal course of action.
Your analogy to NYs Spanish community isnt really the same as Spanish isnt recognized as an official language in the USA.
And English is not an official language of Quebec.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:49 PM

34,389 posts, read 41,490,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
And English is not an official language of Quebec.
I never said it was, however in this case its not illegal for Mr Myles to translate to English the proceedings of Longueuils municipal government to his constituents in Greenfield Park A city in its own right that was amalgamated with the city of Longueuil in 2002,as it was more than 50% Anglo its bilingual status as a city also got transferred in the Amalgamation, This bilingual status is now at risk of being revoked in not only Greenfield park but many other towns and villages that at the moment benefit from bilingual status as evidenced in the once thriving Anglo demographic of the Eastern townships=http://www.lifeinquebec.com/only-thr...the-townships/

Similar situation happening with Quebec health institutions in the form of Bill10=
http://globalnews.ca/news/1666830/so...ebecs-bill-10/.

Similar situation happening with Quebecs education system
http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/quebec-co...ions-1.2397307.

Which gets back to the topic of English in Quebec, i'd give it another generation and there will be no English left in Quebec as Quebec continues to push hard for ever more linguistic legislation directed at that 8% remaining Anglo demographic..

Last edited by jambo101; 07-09-2015 at 12:01 AM..

Old 07-10-2015, 02:03 AM

66 posts, read 109,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
Where's the problem?

Why should we go out of our way to protect English? I work a lot with the PLQ and take my word, we aren't worried about the small anglo demographic. Why should we? They have 9 other provinces to move to. The language in Quebec is French, not English. We are looking out for interest of Quebec, not the local anglos. That's why we are the Parti Liberal Québecois and not the Liberal Anglo Party. I appreciate every anglo who votes PLQ but we aren't obligated to protect their ethnic interests. Quebec comes first.
Sure, but I really think its quite strange how francophones such as yourself just can't seem to understand Anglophone frustrations considering it's a minority-related problem much like yours in the entirety of Canada. Only difference is that your minority is protected by an insular culture and government.

It absolutely baffles me how most of your ilk cannot comprehend this simple comparison.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:10 AM

66 posts, read 109,242 times
Quote:
I never said it was, however in this case its not illegal for Mr Myles to translate to English the proceedings of Longueuils municipal government to his constituents in Greenfield Park A city in its own right that was amalgamated with the city of Longueuil in 2002,as it was more than 50% Anglo its bilingual status as a city also got transferred in the Amalgamation, This bilingual status is now at risk of being revoked in not only Greenfield park but many other towns and villages that at the moment benefit from bilingual status as evidenced in the once thriving Anglo demographic of the Eastern townships=Only Three Bilingual Villages to Remain in the Townships | Life in Québec

Similar situation happening with Quebec health institutions in the form of Bill10=
Social media used to highlight ‘side effects’ of Quebec’s Bill 10 - Montreal | Globalnews.ca.

Similar situation happening with Quebecs education system
Quebec confirms plan to abolish school board elections | CTV Montreal News.

Which gets back to the topic of English in Quebec, i'd give it another generation and there will be no English left in Quebec as Quebec continues to push hard for ever more linguistic legislation directed at that 8% remaining Anglo demographic..
What was the point of starting this thread anyways? Just so you can proclaim yet again that you think Anglophone culture will completely die off eventually? I honestly don't understand your intentions here.

If anything, the destruction of the Anglophone community will be due to its own apathy and pessimism rather then some orchestrated extermination of Anglos.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:56 AM

695 posts, read 736,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nationalistdefeator View Post
Sure, but I really think its quite strange how francophones such as yourself just can't seem to understand Anglophone frustrations considering it's a minority-related problem much like yours in the entirety of Canada. Only difference is that your minority is protected by an insular culture and government.

It absolutely baffles me how most of your ilk cannot comprehend this simple comparison.
Truth be told, Quebec's language policy is simply reactionary to the language policies implemented by Anglophones both within Quebec and throughout Canada. Anglophone Quebecers are afforded more rights and privileges than any linguistic minority in Canada. If you think it's "frustrating" being an Anglophone in Quebec, try being a Francophone in Ontario or Nova Scotia and you'll learn what real frustration is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or