U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 07:32 PM

66 posts, read 109,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Watching my Anglo culture get legislated out of existence here in Quebec and commenting on it is in your opinion making a mountain out of a mole hill?,really?.
Am i expected to Just accept bill101,language police etc and be expected to remain silent and just assimilate totally into the French culture and abandon my own culture ?
And you dont see this complaining as justified?
As for doing something about it? other than continue to be a participant of any protests,and discussing the plight of Quebecs Anglos on forums theres not much i can do about the issue.
I do agree that not much can be done at this point, but the first thing anyone can do is not leave the province.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 09:32 PM

34,394 posts, read 41,499,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
however the fact that people grow up here their whole lives and still flat out refuse to learn to speak French shows just how necessary these laws are.

Like I said before, Francophones in the ROC learn English just fine. Are Quebec's Anglos simply stupid?
Now you are calling Anglophones stupid? under the misguided notion that Anglophones dont learn French? All the Anglophones i know here in Quebec are functionally bilingual work in predominantly francophone environments,live in francophone neighborhoods are sending their kids to either French schools or French immersion schools, so i'm not sure where you are getting this idea that a huge numbers of Anglophones are refusing to learn and speak French.
My own two daughters did 80% French till grade 6 then 60% French through the rest of their schooling and that was in an English school they are now fluently bilingual and tell me they cant get out of Quebec fast enough..Me thinks your idea that Anglos dont become bilingual is synonymous with that fat English lady in Eatons.

As for just leaving this province? you'll be pleased to know Quebec and i will part company as soon as my wife retires in 3-4 years,for me that will end a 45 year residence here in Quebec,for my wife she will be the last of 7 generations of empire loyalist stock that made their home in eastern Granby..
Kingston is on the top of our short list.

Last edited by jambo101; 07-10-2015 at 10:41 PM..

Old 07-12-2015, 02:07 PM

579 posts, read 468,753 times
Let's say that the future of English in Quebec depends, to an extent, on how many immigrant families (as a proportion of the total number of immigrant families) will assimilate to English vs. French.

Perhaps I'm wrong but roughly 60% of the immigrants to Quebec in the past 10 years or so leaned towards French.

Old 07-13-2015, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machjo View Post
Meanwhile the non-Anglophones who made the effort to learn French as his second language has to waste his time sitting through interpretation in English because someone was too lazy to learn the common language?
You seem to be implying all English in Quebec be eliminated because if English is needed its because people are too lazy to learn French. Going by your logic can you think of any reason for the justification of English in Quebec?
Theres a lot of Anglos in not only Canada but in North America, i think you are outnumbered by a factor of 350 million to 7 million, you are going to hear a lot of English in your lifetime you will encounter many who for whatever reason dont speak French you can either accept this fact or you can become an Anglophobe.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:24 PM

21,947 posts, read 27,365,858 times
Quote:
Meanwhile the non-Anglophones who made the effort to learn French as his second language has to waste his time sitting through interpretation in English because someone was too lazy to learn the common language?
This is a good point. The harshest words I generally hear about the anglophone community in Quebec are not from old stock French Canadians, but by far they come from allophone immigrants who have often made great efforts to learn French for their new lives here.

They sometimes even say things like: "WTF is up with anglos in Quebec? They're born and raised here and cannot speak a lick of French, and yet I arrived here three years ago with ZERO French and can now get by just fine. If they don't like the fact that Quebec is French then they can GTFO to Ontario!"

Old 07-13-2015, 05:23 PM

[quote]
Quote:
Then let's make Montreal monolingually English, Esperanto, whatever, but don't waste tax dollars on translation and interpretation. Choose one language and have everyone learn it. That said, the private sector should be free to choose the language policy of its choice

Montreal is doing just fine as a French city where there is a large bilingual component to its make-up.

As for implying Anglos dont speak French or dont even try to learn the language because they are too lazy i call BS on this whole line of rubbish thinking.
A good read on the plight of students going to school in Montreal=
http://induecourse.ca/language-in-qu...for-a-rethink/
As for wasting tax dollars on useless linguistic translations i'm sure the ROC would be more than happy to comply.

Last edited by jambo101; 07-13-2015 at 05:45 PM..

Old 07-13-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

They sometimes even say things like: "WTF is up with anglos in Quebec? They're born and raised here and cannot speak a lick of French, and yet I arrived here three years ago with ZERO French and can now get by just fine. If they don't like the fact that Quebec is French then they can GTFO to Ontario!"
The normal Anglo raised in Quebec has been in intensive French immersion since kindergarten while the normal francophone child starts learning English in grade 3 or 4 for an hour or two per week,probably why so many francophones cant speak a lick of English..
As for your emotional outburst of basically telling Anglos to go back where they came from?You to have the option of voting for Quebec separation and can GTFO out of Canada if you dont like it,.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
This is a good point. The harshest words I generally hear about the anglophone community in Quebec are not from old stock French Canadians, but by far they come from allophone immigrants who have often made great efforts to learn French for their new lives here.

Yeah, because we know this a realistic representation of most Anglophones in Quebec. Comments like these just display the general contempt for Anglophones just because they are there and exist. I actually do think the mentality of Anglophones is PART of the problem but what exactly is "GTFO to Ontario!" supposed to imply? Especially considering this just seems like some random made-up quote you're using here to stir the pot.

There's a difference with being a minority for a couple years as opposed to being a lifetime minority, wouldn't you agree? Not saying that this excuses anything but once again shows a lack of understanding for the Anglophone minority among the majority who never take these kind of things into consideration. I can be labeled an "angryphone" or something if that makes my comments more unimportant to you but really your judgement on the Anglophone community is quite wrong.

Last edited by Nationalistdefeator; 07-13-2015 at 07:49 PM..

Old 07-13-2015, 09:00 PM

21,947 posts, read 27,365,858 times
Guys, guys, guys...

I never said that was my view. Just repeating what I've occasionally heard. I've also had Quebec anglos complain about it to me. So it is out there.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Guys, guys, guys...

I never said that was my view. Just repeating what I've occasionally heard. I've also had Quebec anglos complain about it to me. So it is out there.
In that case I would have to agree. I've experienced this myself among certain Allophones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or