U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 06:50 AM

21,962 posts, read 27,416,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nationalistdefeator View Post
In that case I would have to agree. I've experienced this myself among certain Allophones.
I've heard Quebec anglos complaining about getting attitude from French-oriented immigrants in Quebec who treat them like johnny-come-latelys or even "invaders".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 09:34 AM

34,463 posts, read 41,580,248 times
English in Quebec?
While Anglophobia was once the domain of the separatists i'm seeing it growing well beyond the separatist demographic..
canada.com - Canadian news, entertainment, television, newspapers, free email and more

As for the idea Most of the English dont speak French,
My daughter is a typical Anglo kid who went to the local English school here in Lasalle.Yesterday the phone rings and my daughter answers it, i over hear her say my name is obviously English i'd prefer to speak English,i then hear her say ok then we'll speak French,for the next 45 minutes she spoke flawless and unfaltering French to this person on the other end of the phone who turned out to be a provincial official from the Office de la Norms Du Travail it was concerning a case she has pending.
While she didnt make an issue of it she found it a little rude of the official to call some one who is obviously English and then refuse to speak English to them.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-15-2015 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: Link deleted at user's request.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvanung View Post
Let's say that the future of English in Quebec depends, to an extent, on how many immigrant families (as a proportion of the total number of immigrant families) will assimilate to English vs. French.

Perhaps I'm wrong but roughly 60% of the immigrants to Quebec in the past 10 years or so leaned towards French.
I would gather that it's higher than 60% for French for immigrants arriving more recently.

The 60-40 split is likely to include everyone currently here (maybe even all allophones including those born here), including those who arrived in the 1950s even, who were almost certain to adopt English back then.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:03 AM

579 posts, read 469,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acajack View Post
i would gather that it's higher than 60% for french for immigrants arriving more recently.

the 60-40 split is likely to include everyone currently here (maybe even all allophones including those born here), including those who arrived in the 1950s even, who were almost certain to adopt english back then.
70%? 80%?

Old 07-15-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvanung View Post
70%? 80%?
It's hard to say.

If you look at the top 10 countries that immigrants come from:

China
France
Algeria
Haiti
Morocco
Iran
Cameroon
Colombia
Tunisia
Mexico

... only China really would have most people primarily oriented towards English. Iran can likely go either way, the Latin American countries probably lean to French (in the Quebec context anyway) and all of the others lean heavily towards French.

Plus you have a ton of francophone African countries that are small but if grouped together would be near the top of the list.

Other stats I found...

About three quarters of immigrants are allophones. Close to 20% are native francophones. And only 3% are native anglophones.

When it comes to knowing languages, 25% know French only. 15% know English only. A third know both English and French and the rest (about 30%) know neither language.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
English in Quebec?
While Anglophobia was once the domain of the separatists i'm seeing it growing well beyond the separatist demographic..
canada.com - Canadian news, entertainment, television, newspapers, free email and more

As for the idea Most of the English dont speak French,
My daughter is a typical Anglo kid who went to the local English school here in Lasalle.Yesterday the phone rings and my daughter answers it, i over hear her say my name is obviously English i'd prefer to speak English,i then hear her say ok then we'll speak French,for the next 45 minutes she spoke flawless and unfaltering French to this person on the other end of the phone who turned out to be a provincial official from the Office de la Norms Du Travail it was concerning a case she has pending.
While she didnt make an issue of it she found it a little rude of the official to call some one who is obviously English and then refuse to speak English to them.

Mod cut.
Funny but the idea of fielding a call from a native anglophone and then expecting them to switch to French for a 45-minute conversation would probably never cross the mind of a fluently bilingual Franco-Ontarian.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Funny but the idea of fielding a call from a native anglophone and then expecting them to switch to French for a 45-minute conversation would probably never cross the mind of a fluently bilingual Franco-Ontarian.
The point was that Anglophones do learn French and most of those who have gone through the English school system are fully functional in French.it wasnt so much about the unilingual nature of the government employee.

Last edited by jambo101; 07-15-2015 at 10:23 AM..

Old 07-19-2015, 07:04 PM

66 posts, read 109,453 times
Something interesting that I found, I'm surprised most people don't know about this. I guess our community is just far too pessimistic while felling "victimized" constantly.

Census 2011: Most English-speakers in Quebec homes in decades

This article from 2012 states the increase in Anglophones that was indicated in the 2011 census from the previous 2006 census. If you even look at the prior census you'll notice that there was an increase from 2001 to 2006 as well.

2006 Census: The Evolving Linguistic Portrait, 2006 Census: Evolution of the language situation in Quebec: Increase in the number of the anglophone and francophone population but decline of their relative weight in Montréal

Also, here's an interesting demographic map of Anglophones in the province. It's determined by the Official language minority data not mother-tongue.

http://www.cbc.ca/montreal/features/...ne-census-map/

Old 07-20-2015, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nationalistdefeator View Post
Something interesting that I found, I'm surprised most people don't know about this. I guess our community is just far too pessimistic while felling "victimized" constantly.

Census 2011: Most English-speakers in Quebec homes in decades

This article from 2012 states the increase in Anglophones that was indicated in the 2011 census from the previous 2006 census. If you even look at the prior census you'll notice that there was an increase from 2001 to 2006 as well.

2006 Census: The Evolving Linguistic Portrait, 2006 Census: Evolution of the language situation in Quebec: Increase in the number of the anglophone and francophone population but decline of their relative weight in Montréal

Also, here's an interesting demographic map of Anglophones in the province. It's determined by the Official language minority data not mother-tongue.

Living English | Interactive: Where are Quebec's Anglos? Map of population distribution from 2011 Census | CBC Montreal
Shhh... don't tell anyone but another thing about this that's related to what jambo is claiming is the number of anglos in Quebec who can't speak French and speak only English ticked up slightly during the last census period. For the first time since around 1970s.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Shhh... don't tell anyone but another thing about this that's related to what jambo is claiming is the number of anglos in Quebec who can't speak French and speak only English ticked up slightly during the last census period. For the first time since around 1970s.
The fact that there are a few Anglos in Quebec that cant speak French is a major irritant to you and the cornerstone of many of your debating points.get over it as there are many people in Quebec who dont speak French or dont speak English or dont speak either, big deal .

Those maps if anything show the total irrelevance of the Anglo demographic in Quebec,limited to a small enclave on the western periphery of the island of Montreal, an outsider might question why Quebec is so obsessed with this tiny demographic and wasting money on ever more legislation and linguistic infrastructure to combat this non existent threat to the francophone culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or