U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-20-2015, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,937 posts, read 27,320,303 times
Reputation: 8601

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The fact that there are a few Anglos in Quebec that cant speak French is a major irritant to you and the cornerstone of many of your debating points.get over it as there are many people in Quebec who dont speak French or dont speak English or dont speak either, big deal .

Those maps if anything show the total irrelevance of the Anglo demographic in Quebec,limited to a small enclave on the western periphery of the island of Montreal, an outsider might question why Quebec is so obsessed with this tiny demographic and wasting money on ever more legislation and linguistic infrastructure to combat this non existent threat to the francophone culture.
You've activated the Great Jambo Remote Mind Reader again, so it seems!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-21-2015, 02:15 AM
 
34,355 posts, read 41,427,648 times
Reputation: 29840
Commenting on your disdain for Anglos who for whatever reason dont speak French particularly those who live in Quebec doesnt really take any mind reading abilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2015, 01:12 PM
 
695 posts, read 736,010 times
Reputation: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Commenting on your disdain for Anglos who for whatever reason dont speak French particularly those who live in Quebec doesnt really take any mind reading abilities.
Why shouldn't we show disdain for someone who shows disdain for the people in the province they live in by refusing to learn its official language?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2015, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Canada
5,685 posts, read 6,531,390 times
Reputation: 8188
It appears that the English and the French are equally linguistically arrogant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2015, 03:04 PM
 
34,355 posts, read 41,427,648 times
Reputation: 29840
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
Why shouldn't we show disdain for someone who shows disdain for the people in the province they live in by refusing to learn its official language?
Knowing French and living in Quebec is definitely to ones advantage but why view the person with disdain just because in their life circumstance they dont need to become so bilingual they could carry on the conversation we are having here in French, any Anglo/immigrant living in Quebec is going to be bilingual if not at least have some comprehension of French, but some never grew up with French,they relocated here and live and work in a language other than French,sounds kind of elitis/pompous to expect every one to become fluent in French whether they need it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2015, 03:17 PM
 
695 posts, read 736,010 times
Reputation: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Knowing French and living in Quebec is definitely to ones advantage but why view the person with disdain just because in their life circumstance they dont need to become so bilingual they could carry on the conversation we are having here in French, any Anglo/immigrant living in Quebec is going to be bilingual if not at least have some comprehension of French, but some never grew up with French,they relocated here and live and work in a language other than French,sounds kind of elitis/pompous to expect every one to become fluent in French whether they need it or not.
You think it's elitist to expect someone who moves to your community to learn your language?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2015, 03:50 PM
 
34,355 posts, read 41,427,648 times
Reputation: 29840
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
You think it's elitist to expect someone who moves to your community to learn your language?

Yes i do think its elitist.Whats it to you if some one moves to Quebec and ends up living in an entirely non Francophone demographic.
Lets not confuse some one who refuses to speak or learn French with some one who in their daily lives has little use for the French language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2015, 04:33 PM
 
873 posts, read 813,674 times
Reputation: 554
I never understood why English people on this forum are so opposed to Quebec being all french. I think it's really cool having a province run in a completely different language in my country! I also love the bilingualism in Canada, how all merchandise is in both English and French and all announcements in airports and airplanes are made in both languages in every part of Canada. For this reason I really do not want Quebec to separate from Canada. English gets boring it's fun to hear French as well. I just wish more western Canadians spoke French. Nobody speaks French here... I haven't heard french being spoken here by a person in public in like two years. The only people I know here who know how to speak French is my sister and her friend and I myself am learning. It's sad more people don't want to learn the language in western Canada, I think it's fun learning a new language. I wish the french language had more influence in this part of Canada, like making little french speaking neighborhoods. They have one in Winnipeg. I bet in Toronto french is spoken way more than here. Anyways I guess my point is I wish the French language was seen as a part of Canada rather than just Quebec. I'm not saying that all employers should make it mandatory that you speak French, I just wish french was taken more seriously in other parts of Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2015, 08:39 PM
 
695 posts, read 736,010 times
Reputation: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Yes i do think its elitist.Whats it to you if some one moves to Quebec and ends up living in an entirely non Francophone demographic.
Lets not confuse some one who refuses to speak or learn French with some one who in their daily lives has little use for the French language.
yet these are the very same people who cause an uproar when someone refuses to serve them in English...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2015, 11:22 PM
 
34,355 posts, read 41,427,648 times
Reputation: 29840
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
yet these are the very same people who cause an uproar when someone refuses to serve them in English...
Thats an old wives tale, no Anglo in Quebec would expect to be served in English, most Anglos are bilingual and can take care of themselves in French or at least give it a damn good try if their French is lacking., i'm sure you can cherry pick an incident or two but on the whole Anglos would find it a very rude and discourteous course of action to insist a francophone talk to them in English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top