U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 11:51 PM

34,423 posts, read 41,537,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
I never understood why English people on this forum are so opposed to Quebec being all french. I think it's really cool having a province run in a completely different language in my country! I also love the bilingualism in Canada, how all merchandise is in both English and French and all announcements in airports and airplanes are made in both languages in every part of Canada. For this reason I really do not want Quebec to separate from Canada. English gets boring it's fun to hear French as well. I just wish more western Canadians spoke French. Nobody speaks French here... I haven't heard french being spoken here by a person in public in like two years. The only people I know here who know how to speak French is my sister and her friend and I myself am learning. It's sad more people don't want to learn the language in western Canada, I think it's fun learning a new language. I wish the french language had more influence in this part of Canada, like making little french speaking neighborhoods. They have one in Winnipeg. I bet in Toronto french is spoken way more than here. Anyways I guess my point is I wish the French language was seen as a part of Canada rather than just Quebec. I'm not saying that all employers should make it mandatory that you speak French, I just wish french was taken more seriously in other parts of Canada.
No one is opposed to Quebec being all French if thats the way the demographic naturally goes.What some people are against (Me)is having that total French position being legislated into a fact totally ignoring other cultures that may once have been a viable co culture in Quebec.
Your pipe dream of neighborhoods west of Quebec becoming French is nice and the ROC becoming much more French is nice but it will never happen,fact is Quebec is French and English is irrelevant the ROC is English and French is irrelevant so if you want to become French a move to Quebec is your only option although i think your aspirations to become French would soon sour after being subjected to the strict linguistic rules and regulations of bill101 that every one in Quebec is expected to abide by And of course the disdain you will be subjected to for not actually being French.
GM10 ya need to come to Quebec for a few years to get a more complete experience..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 12:12 AM

481 posts, read 427,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Thats an old wives tale, no Anglo in Quebec would expect to be served in English, most Anglos are bilingual and can take care of themselves in French or at least give it a damn good try if their French is lacking., i'm sure you can cherry pick an incident or two but on the whole Anglos would find it a very rude and discourteous course of action to insist a francophone talk to them in English.
You have obviously never worked in customer service.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:14 AM

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
You have obviously never worked in customer service.[/quote
As we are dealing with our own experiences and opinions in 40 years here in Montreal i've never experienced an Anglo demanding to be spoken to in English,in fact uttering SPEAK TO ME IN ENGLISH would assure you would get no service. Not saying it never happens but IMO the situation is so rare it should not be considered a defacto response from Anglos.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:04 AM

21,959 posts, read 27,390,495 times
[quote=jambo101;40508693]
Quote:

As we are dealing with our own experiences and opinions in 40 years here in Montreal i've never experienced an Anglo demanding to be spoken to in English,in fact uttering SPEAK TO ME IN ENGLISH would assure you would get no service. Not saying it never happens but IMO the situation is so rare it should not be considered a defacto response from Anglos.
It doesn't happen exactly in that way but it happens all the time. I don't work in customer service but I see it several times a week. I suppose to someone who works in customer service it happens several times a day.

From locals, not tourists BTW.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Yes i do think its elitist.Whats it to you if some one moves to Quebec and ends up living in an entirely non Francophone demographic.
Lets not confuse some one who refuses to speak or learn French with some one who in their daily lives has little use for the French language.
There is no such thing as a completely non-francophone demographic in Quebec. Even in the anglo enclaves of the West Island there are many francophones working in businesses and retail, and they are served by regional metropolitan and provincial services like police, fire, paramedic, transit, etc. that mostly employ francophones.

Even if you live in Westmount or Beaconsfield you're in contact with francophones all the time.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
I never understood why English people on this forum are so opposed to Quebec being all french. .
Note that we aren't even talking about Quebec being ''all'' French, but ''predominantly French''. Which is still too much for some people.

I appreciated your post BTW!

Old 07-22-2015, 07:47 AM

[quote=Acajack;40509350]
Quote:

It doesn't happen exactly in that way but it happens all the time. I don't work in customer service but I see it several times a week. I suppose to someone who works in customer service it happens several times a day.

From locals, not tourists BTW.
You are seeing people in Quebec not just saying they cant speak or understand French but actually demanding to be spoken to in English?....bs!
Or must be a militant brand of Anglo up in the Gatineau.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:55 AM

[quote=jambo101;40510937]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You are seeing people in Quebec not just saying they cant speak or understand French but actually demanding to be spoken to in English?....bs!
Or must be a militant brand of Anglo up in the Gatineau.
Didn't you yourself recently report on this very forum that someone called to speak to your fully bilingual daughter and addressed her in French, and she requested/asked/demanded* that the person switch to English for her?

*unsuccessfully, it is true

Old 07-22-2015, 08:12 AM

[quote=Acajack;40511042]
Quote:

Didn't you yourself recently report on this very forum that someone called to speak to your fully bilingual daughter and addressed her in French, and she requested/asked/demanded* that the person switch to English for her?

*unsuccessfully, it is true

Good point but different circumstance she was quite capable of speaking French or English she just found it rude that the government would hire unilingual francophones to converse with an obvious Anglo demographic in the west island of Montreal.She didnt demand to be spoken to in English she was just responding to the Question "do you speak French" .
Obviously a case of a francophone being raised in the francophone school system and not having a clue how to speak English meeting an ordinary Anglophone young lady being raised in Montreals English school board and being fully bilingual..In my experience its by far the norm for francophones demanding to be served or spoken to in French than it is Anglos demanding to be served in English.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:14 AM

[quote=jambo101;40511282]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Good point but different circumstance she was quite capable of speaking French or English she just found it rude that the government would hire unilingual francophones to converse with an obvious Anglo demographic in the west island of Montreal.She didnt demand to be spoken to in English she was just responding to the Question "do you speak French" .
Obviously a case of a francophone being raised in the francophone school system and not having a clue how to speak English meeting an ordinary Anglophone young lady being raised in Montreals English school board and being fully bilingual..In my experience its by far the norm for francophones demanding to be served or spoken to in French than it is Anglos demanding to be served in English.
Well, duh... francophones are the largest group by far in both the city, metro and province!

In my experience you see a lot of both in Montreal and Gatineau, and any person working in the service sector would likely agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or