Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 08:34 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times

Advertisements

Changing Bill101 to make an outright ban on English in at least city council meetings seems to be favored by many as Quebec in its linguistic obsession strives to become a place devoid of English.

Longueuil language dispute draws crowd to city hall - Montreal - CBC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 11:33 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,864,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Changing Bill101 to make an outright ban on English in at least city council meetings seems to be favored by many as Quebec in its linguistic obsession strives to become a place devoid of English.

Longueuil language dispute draws crowd to city hall - Montreal - CBC News
The obvious solution is to separate. The increasingly redundant (and increasingly complicated) linguistic politics would be solved by independence in one fell swoop and the government could start dealing with more pressing problems - like Quebec's economy - without being strapped down by fear of an English Canadian takeover.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:47 PM

As Quebec more and more isolates itself linguistically from the rest of North America i too think the logical next step is separation, Quebec has built itself into an almost entirely French speaking nation within the almost entirely English speaking rest of North America. and it continues to look for new ways to eliminate the English language within its borders even though the Anglo demographic has been reduced to a mere 8% of Quebecs population.
Another story that i thought was a separatist issue and was struck down in the courts has now resurfaced under Couillards liberal government
Quebec will table new sign regulations this fall | Montreal Gazette

Last edited by jambo101; 07-08-2015 at 01:05 PM..

Old 07-08-2015, 01:58 PM

692 posts, read 957,431 times
Quote:
As Quebec more and more isolates itself linguistically from the rest of North America i too think the logical next step is separation, Quebec has built itself into an almost entirely French speaking nation within the almost entirely English speaking rest of North America. and it continues to look for new ways to eliminate the English language within its borders even though the Anglo demographic has been reduced to a mere 8% of Quebecs population.
Another story that i thought was a separatist issue and was struck down in the courts has now resurfaced under Couillards liberal government
While I think banning English from City Council meetings legally is a step too far, I can see their point.

Why would you hold city council meetings in a language that only 50% of the community speaks, when you could hold them in the language that 1) is the official language of that community and 2) is spoken by 95% of the population?

It's akin to holding city council meetings in NYC in Spanish...yes, 1/3 of the population speaks it but 2/3rds don't, so you're just alienating the majority.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
While I think banning English from City Council meetings legally is a step too far, I can see their point.

Why would you hold city council meetings in a language that only 50% of the community speaks, when you could hold them in the language that 1) is the official language of that community and 2) is spoken by 95% of the population?

It's akin to holding city council meetings in NYC in Spanish...yes, 1/3 of the population speaks it but 2/3rds don't, so you're just alienating the majority.
Why is it a problem if the Councillor after speaking in French then wants to translate the proceedings into English for the benefit of his Anglo constituents in Greenfield Park? a totally legal course of action.
Your analogy to NYs Spanish community isnt really the same as Spanish isnt recognized as an official language in the USA.

Last edited by jambo101; 07-08-2015 at 02:49 PM..

Old 07-08-2015, 02:59 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,864,662 times
Quote:
One of the great ironies of Quebec is that Anglo-Quebecers strongly support the Quebec Liberals (PLQ) thinking that the PLQ will protect their rights while the Part Quebecois (PQ) will take them away. The reality is that both parties act virtually the same regarding the Anglo minority. It should come as no shock that Couillard hasn't put his neck on the chopping block by supporting Anglo rights.

The best hope for Anglo-Quebecers is to ditch the PLQ and support independence. Why? Only through independence will English Canadians cease to be a threat. Quebec's insecurities lie in being a French province in an English country. Only through extensive and complicated laws (such as banning English at council meetings) can the Quebecois find the security they crave while remaining in Canada. In an independent Quebec, the Anglo minority of 8% would no longer be a threat, but instead an asset. Imagine the day when knowledge of English is strongly encouraged by Quebec's government and international corporations once again feel comfortable establishing themselves in Montreal. Nonetheless, Anglo-Quebecers will once again vehemently oppose the PQ (and PKP), foolishly believing that the PLQ is looking out for their best interests.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:28 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post

The best hope for Anglo-Quebecers is to ditch the PLQ and support independence. Why? Only through independence will English Canadians cease to be a threat. Quebec's insecurities lie in being a French province in an English country. Only through extensive and complicated laws (such as banning English at council meetings) can the Quebecois find the security they crave while remaining in Canada. In an independent Quebec, the Anglo minority of 8% would no longer be a threat, but instead an asset. Imagine the day when knowledge of English is strongly encouraged by Quebec's government and international corporations once again feel comfortable establishing themselves in Montreal. Nonetheless, Anglo-Quebecers will once again vehemently oppose the PQ (and PKP), foolishly believing that the PLQ is looking out for their best interests.
Whatever you're smoking, you should sell it. You'd be able to finance your own revolution.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:57 PM

542 posts, read 503,204 times
Quote:
Where's the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
One of the great ironies of Quebec is that Anglo-Quebecers strongly support the Quebec Liberals (PLQ) thinking that the PLQ will protect their rights while the Part Quebecois (PQ) will take them away. The reality is that both parties act virtually the same regarding the Anglo minority. It should come as no shock that Couillard hasn't put his neck on the chopping block by supporting Anglo rights.

Why should we go out of our way to protect English? I work a lot with the PLQ and take my word, we aren't worried about the small anglo demographic. Why should we? They have 9 other provinces to move to. The language in Quebec is French, not English. We are looking out for interest of Quebec, not the local anglos. That's why we are the Parti Liberal Québecois and not the Liberal Anglo Party. I appreciate every anglo who votes PLQ but we aren't obligated to protect their ethnic interests. Quebec comes first.

Old 07-08-2015, 04:02 PM

I dont think Hobbes is smoking anything he is just stating some very on point opinions.

Old 07-08-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
Where's the problem?
Wheres the problem? As long as Quebec remains a Canadian province the active efforts at the curtailment of this civil liberty is the problem.
Quote:
The French language was previously declared the sole official language of Quebec with the adoption of the official language act in 1974. nonetheless Quebec is constitutionally obliged to provide English services in the courts and the Quebec parliament
I dont vote PLQ i vote PQ in an effort to help you achieve your independence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada