U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 11:43 PM

11,265 posts, read 13,177,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse44 View Post
these things were all the rage with outdoorsman kinds of people up here when i was younger. I've never used one but i think they're supposed to be between paintball guns and....real guns or something? I don't think they can seriously harm or kill you unless you shoot someone directly in the eye or some other orifice.

i've definitely seen them at canadian tire.

lol!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 07:36 AM

18,327 posts, read 10,398,747 times
That Linx is something! Charging handle is already back in battery and the ejected case is no more than 18" away. Top and bottom picatinny rails with a side mount bipod that I assume rotates down to lock? Removal of LED flash necessary to use bi-pod?

Shooter has a rather light grip on the fore-grip because it looks like he is supporting the weight instead of wrapping fingers around the grip but the weapon has not jumped too high in recoil. Bullpups are great for recoil mitigation but I had no idea they were that effective.

Mag change outs and charging while still keeping butt plate tucked might be a problem because everything is so close to your cheek but hey a work-around wouldn't take long to adapt to.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:23 PM

12,703 posts, read 8,775,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I'm kinda confused here. I can go to Canadian Tire and get a Crossman bb gun that looks just like an M-417.

^^^^^That is a Crossman BB gun. I have a hard time believing this thing is a prohibited weapon. Especially when we consider I can buy a Lynx .50 cal rifle, and it is considered a NON-RESTRICTED weapon. Meaning, I could keep it in my trunk, basically.

The one on the left below, is a .50 cal bullet. lol
I can see why. Now I'm really confused. Here are some BB guns for sale at Canadian Tire.

Air Pistols | Canadian Tire

Here's what I found on the RCMP site.

BB Gun Determined to be Prohibited Firearm - Royal Canadian Mounted Police

and

Prohibited Firearms - Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Anyone know how this works??

Old 07-11-2015, 09:24 PM

220 posts, read 210,550 times
If they are prohibited than why sell them?

Old 07-11-2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I can see why. Now I'm really confused. Here are some BB guns for sale at Canadian Tire.

Air Pistols | Canadian Tire

Here's what I found on the RCMP site.

BB Gun Determined to be Prohibited Firearm - Royal Canadian Mounted Police

and

Prohibited Firearms - Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Anyone know how this works??
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpingfalcon View Post
If they are prohibited than why sell them?

The RCMP link points to two air rifles in particular. The Model FX18HB c.4.5. air rifle (full stock), and the FX18IIHB c.4.5. air rifle (folding stock).

If I understand correctly, these air rifles were singled out because they are built using authentic frames and receivers from a Chinese variant of the AK-47, and the AK-47 is a prohibited firearm in Canada. The RCMP considers the frame, or even the receiver on it's own to technically be a firearm. The RCMP's worry, is that by "basically" changing the barrel and bolt, you have yourself a prohibited firearm.
Which, according to section 2 of the Criminal Code, also violates the "anything that can be adapted for use as a firearm" rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
That Linx is something! Charging handle is already back in battery and the ejected case is no more than 18" away. Top and bottom picatinny rails with a side mount bipod that I assume rotates down to lock? Removal of LED flash necessary to use bi-pod?

Shooter has a rather light grip on the fore-grip because it looks like he is supporting the weight instead of wrapping fingers around the grip but the weapon has not jumped too high in recoil. Bullpups are great for recoil mitigation but I had no idea they were that effective.

Mag change outs and charging while still keeping butt plate tucked might be a problem because everything is so close to your cheek but hey a work-around wouldn't take long to adapt to.
And it's only $15,000 CDN.

That sucker is made for cracking engine blocks. It's basically artillery. lol

Not for lefties though, so I'm out.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:12 AM

34,435 posts, read 41,537,489 times
Canada takes gun ownership really really seriously, if the RCMP are saying BB guns sold at Canadian Tire are prohibited weapons i'm going to err on the side of caution and not be tempted to buy one as if RCMP attitudes are anything like border guard attitudes on guns i really dont need the hassle and will instead stick to targeting empty cans with my slingshot.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:14 AM

No, jambo. Just these ones are because the makers used authentic parts from an AK-47, which can be bought at ridiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiculous ly low prices.

Everything else is fine.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:27 AM

This AK-47 receiver stuff has been percolating for some time now.

There have been any number of attempts to produce and market just the receivers themselves as something other than an AK-47 identifiable part. The receiver is the heart of the weapon and basically akin to the chassis of a car. Each time this is done they sell for a time until someone brings a light onto them. work-arounds have included stampings with serial numbers clearly defining their origin and intent as SEMI auto and nothing else but everyone knows the parts that determine the fully auto mode of this weapon (and many others) are the bits that go into the receiver during the build-up.

That particular part of the AK is much like the old Sten gun in it's simplicity and ability to be manufactured using minimal sophistication of tools. Part of the attraction of that weapon is it's ability to be duplicated or repaired by some goat herder with forge experience and a hammer. It has been said and proven that if you have a good quality older shovel in the back of your garage, you have the similar quality and thickness of flat steel to make an AK receiver using nothing more than common hand tools.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=ak+47...EH_Bf9ocNPs%3D

If the link remains functional; you'll notice by scrolling, a U.S. price under one of the photos of just $39.95.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:43 AM

My take on all of this is the obvious attempt at duplicating as close as possible the look of a modern semi-auto actual firearm bordering on "willful negligence" by the manufactures.

Perusing the CanTrash site shows a couple of BB and Pellet pistols that are more historical and familiar as plinkers like the Grossman and Brownings that more closely resemble an old Colt Woodsman that modern policemen would be less familiar with BUT; those others like the Bersa.......they're an accidental shooting by cop waiting to happen.

Any police officer seeing one of those things in the hands of ANYBODY is going to elevate his pulse rate immediately, and deservedly so, due to their inability to be discerned from the real deal.

If plinking targets or pests is your desire, one of the old break-barrel .177 pellet rifles will do that nicely.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:19 AM

34,435 posts, read 41,537,489 times
Just got back from Canadian Tire, they do have a good selection of BB guns that the clerk pointed out were Air Soft and were perfectly legal as long as muzzle velocity was under 500fps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or