U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 01:28 PM

3,458 posts, read 4,029,709 times

Advertisements

If anyone thinks Neil MacDonald would write something just "To be nice", then they definitely have never followed his work. This guy pulls no punches. Hopefully his replacement is just as dedicated to exposing propaganda as him. When he doesnt agree with something the US does, he definitely does not hold back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 01:30 PM

12,753 posts, read 8,840,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
If anyone thinks Neil MacDonald would write something just "To be nice", then they definitely have never followed his work. This guy pulls no punches. Hopefully his replacement is just as dedicated to exposing propaganda as him. When he doesnt agree with something the US does, he definitely does not hold back.
True...but he's human and he's leaving a job that holds a lot of memories for him. He's being nice to his host, to a point.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:35 PM

3,458 posts, read 4,029,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
True...but he's human and he's leaving a job that holds a lot of memories for him. He's being nice to his host, to a point.
America was just as fortunate to have him as he was to have a great job and live in a great city. His work will be missed.

I do understand your point of course, but it is also fair to assume he has some positive views of the US because he has had time to get to know the country and understand it is much different on the ground vs what is presented to the outside world. That stands for both the positive and negative (many have an overly rosy view of the US at times as well) aspects of the country.

Plus alot of returning Canadians who dont mind a verbal tussle with their countrymen do have a tendency to stir the pot and say positive things about living in the US, because they know they will get a rise out of a certain segment of the population. ; )

Old 07-20-2015, 01:58 PM

22,037 posts, read 27,516,167 times
The Dark Side of Acajack wonders if he would have dared to say "English Canadians don't know who they are, but Quebecers do!", on the English CBC instead of the French network!

Old 07-20-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The Dark Side of Acajack wonders if he would have dared to say "English Canadians don't know who they are, but Quebecers do!", on the English CBC instead of the French network!
Did he say that ? Hmmm. Well he doesn't speak for all English speaking Canadians. This one, knows who he is as do millions of others.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:26 PM

261 posts, read 204,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, in fairness he said that English Canadians tend to define themselves in opposition to Americans, as in, "I am not American", while Quebecers will identify themselves as such. That does not necessarily mean they perfectly know who they are, and I'm sure you'll agree that there is a lot of debate in Quebec over what the Quebec nation is all about, who and what we are, and so on. And as for English Canadians, they may "know" what they are, in the sense that the definition they give to their nation is the negation of what they feel they dislike about the American one.

But yes, I agree that this is the sort of thing you'll hear on Radio-Canada but probably not read on CBC.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post
Well, in fairness he said that English Canadians tend to define themselves in opposition to Americans, as in, "I am not American", while Quebecers will identify themselves as such. That does not necessarily mean they perfectly know who they are, and I'm sure you'll agree that there is a lot of debate in Quebec over what the Quebec nation is all about, who and what we are, and so on. And as for English Canadians, they may "know" what they are, in the sense that the definition they give to their nation is the negation of what they feel they dislike about the American one.

But yes, I agree that this is the sort of thing you'll hear on Radio-Canada but probably not read on CBC.
Your translation was better than mine!

As for Quebecers, I'd say they know who they are as much as anyone. They just don't know where they want to go!

Old 07-20-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post

Part, if not most, of the " I am not American " response is simply that. A response. The world seems to compare us to Americans all the time.

In a way, Acajack's earlier post stating that he doesn't subscribe to the Montreal = Paris, or Quebec = France for that matter, seems to suggest there is a bit of " I am not French " in a Quebeckers identity as well.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Part, if not most, of the " I am not American " response is simply that. A response. The world seems to compare us to Americans all the time.

In a way, Acajack's earlier post stating that he doesn't subscribe to the Montreal = Paris, or Quebec = France for that matter, seems to suggest there is a bit of " I am not French " in a Quebeckers identity as well.
Naah. I just think it is inaccurate. Deep down I probably wish that Québec was a bit more France-French than it actually is.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:28 PM

2,566 posts, read 2,199,373 times
Every country has its limits and definitions on what constitutes as politically correct. Even in America, even among the most die-hard tea party GOPs, there is still political correctness:

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/pol...ans-not-to-me/

http://dailycaller.com/2015/07/20/co...omments-video/

When Donald Trump attacked McCain saying that there's nothing special about being a veteran or Vietnam POW, all the GOP groups blasted him for "treason" and "being un-American" and "attacking our veterans" and "being disrespectful to our armed forces" and "inciting hurtful speech towards an American hero". Even if some right-wing GOPs like to broadcast the fact that they dislike Obama's political correctness, apparently even American right-wingers have their own version of political-correctness as well.

I mean, even Fox News's O'Reilly, the patron saint of American free-speech, said the way Trump's comments "came off wasn't correct" while nudging Trump to apologize to Senator McCain and all veterans.

Every country has this BS going on and on in their public discourse. Nothing special about Canada. Moving on.

Last edited by bostonkid123; 07-20-2015 at 09:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada