U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 05:09 PM

170 posts, read 137,622 times

Advertisements

City data members, is Canadian political correctness out of control?

The first example are the human rights tribunals. In one case a man was fined $4,000 in hurt feelings for commenting that he "likes visible minorities".

Health Canada scientist gets $4,000 for 'hurt feelings'

Another example is the firing of Toronto firefighters after they joked about women on their personal Facebook pages and Twitter accounts. Toronto firefighters have since been ordered to undergo sensitivity training to avoid hurting anyone's feelings while in the line of duty.

Two Toronto firefighters terminated over 'unacceptable' sexist tweets, third reportedly fired over Facebook post | National Post

One more example is that of William Whatcott, a pro-traditional marriage supporter who publicly rallied for the definition of marriage being between a man and a woman. Whatcott was slapped down for spreading "hate speech" and fined $17,500.

Even the famous American media troll Ann Coulter was banned from speaking at Canadian universities. That's right, universities - the bastion of free thought and freedom of speech (in some countries). Although her discourse is harmless and often just laughable, Canada (against the wished of many pro-free speech Canadians) felt the need to shut her up. It isn't different to what Eminem faced a few years ago when he was nearly banned from Ontario for inciting "hate speech" with his lyrics. Seriously?

The typical response of many Canadians is to shut up perspectives that they don't want to hear about. If it isn't approved by the powers that be, then don't express that view. Canadian political correctness is spiraling out of control. American readers who are familiar with concepts such as "freedom of speech" would be shocked to see that this concept hasn't penetrated into Canada. Many will tell you point blank, they are proud not have this "American" institution in Canada. You better make sure that what you are about to say is approved, or else.

Last edited by MattCassidy; 07-12-2015 at 05:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 05:15 PM

359 posts, read 265,018 times
This is Canada, not America.

Freedom of Speech is an American concept and has no place in Canada. If someone is saying something that hurts someone else's feelings than the government is right in their efforts to fine and/or jail them.

Want to talk about whatever you want and freely make jokes at another's expense? Then don't come to Canada. Follow the rules of speech or you might find yourself in a bit of trouble. If you don't like it then stay in the US. It's not a lot to ask. We don't have to apologize to anyone.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:31 PM

6,615 posts, read 4,126,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
If someone is saying something that hurts someone else's feelings than the government is right in their efforts to fine and/or jail them.
That doesn't sound just a wee bit oppressive to you? I hurt your feelings, so I belong in jail?

Old 07-12-2015, 05:31 PM

18,337 posts, read 10,411,152 times
A good analysis of the compromise necessary to keep unbridled freedom of expression from negatively impacting OTHER rights and freedoms:

Canada

Hopefully notice will be given that "hurt feelings" do not qualify for prosecution under the hate speech laws.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:35 PM

170 posts, read 137,622 times
PBeauchamp That's the same thing Marc LeMire of the Human Rights Commission said about freedom of speech.

"Freedom of speech is an American concept, so I don't give it any value... It's not my job to give value to an American concept." - Marc Lemire (Lead Canadian Human Rights Commission Investigator)

Thanks for perfectly illustrating my point.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:37 PM

156 posts, read 148,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
That doesn't sound just a wee bit oppressive to you? I hurt your feelings, so I belong in jail?
It's not oppressive, we just don't need to adhere to American ideologies. You can keep your so called "free speech" and we'll keep our polite society.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCassidy View Post
PBeauchamp That's the same thing Marc LeMire of the Human Rights Commission said about freedom of speech.

"Freedom of speech is an American concept, so I don't give it any value... It's not my job to give value to an American concept." - Marc Lemire (Lead Canadian Human Rights Commission Investigator)

What point would that be? We should all have unbridled rights to incite hatred towards identifiable person's or minority groups? We should have the right to express ourselves in a racist fashion towards identifiable minorities regardless?

That's just the way we roll in Canada; speech that is clearly defined as "hate speech" has no redeemable value and therefore does not, nor should it, get protection.

Gonna get your panties in a wad 'cause you can't incite hatred towards an identifiable minority in a racist manner, perhaps Canada is not the place for you.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:47 PM

325 posts, read 295,739 times
Even the far left wing American group called The Young Turks has called out Canadian free speech hypocrisy for what it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo3aLzkYieo

Great thread, Matt. Hopefully the government won't block this website to create an "approved" City-data.com.ca the way they block Netflix, Youtube, and other sites and made an "approved" Canadian versions that don't feature "unapproved" things.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:07 PM

An older assessment in comparison but worthy of a read nonetheless and I would refer those on here spouting inanities to pay particular attention to article IV page 15 of this analysis to get an idea this thread was started on a faux premise of using the term "hurt feelings" as a benchmark as it would apply to Canada alone. Re: Chaplinsky VS State of New Hampshire

http://scholarship.law.duke.edu/cgi/...20&context=lcp

Most would think that anyone complaining about being called a "damned facist" or "a god damned racketeer" was simply suffering from hurt feelings, would they not? Apparently the SCOTUS thought otherwise.

Regardless of two subsequent modifications made to it's definition of fighting words, that case stands to this day as a benchmark with no alternative approach or repudiation of it's wording.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:13 PM

359 posts, read 265,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCassidy View Post

Marc LeMire is right. We are getting along just fine and don't need American style "freedom of speech" aka people freely going around saying whatever they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It's not oppressive at all. Some of us find the American style concept of saying and doing whatever you want whenever you want oppressive. That is why we are Canada and you are America. We just have different ways of doing things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada