U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 09:55 AM

156 posts, read 147,805 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend is African-American and was born in very deep south. She swears that Canada is more racist than the U.S. and one of the reasonings is (according to her) that people don't want to hear anything that stirs the pot here.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:28 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,130,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
An epic example of denialism in what context? In a modern day context? I even agreed with Hobbes take on history and the foolishness to somehow try and regard Canadians as having this elevated or morally superior position vs the U.S when it comes to race relations.. In the modern day context though, I think asking real questions about how one views blacks and members of other races/culutres in real life is a VERY important discussion and is far from sweeping things under the rug there.

Ask me any question about any visible minority in any context and I will answer.. Sweeping things under the rug Pbeau.. I'll go toe to toe with anyone over any question in real life about my own life and how I integrate with members of the community the world over and how I have NO FEAR in meshing with anyone and welcoming anyone into life here!

I ask you the same question Pbeau - how many English Canadians are you willing to get to know and engage in either a friendship or even a relationship with.. Would you marry a black person Pbeau? Would you hire one? How open minded are you about various cultures and people of a plethora of racial/ethnic groups living in your community.. Is it right for me to celebrate Diwali with friends and consider my Indian friends as much a part of Canadiana as I do myself? How much do YOU support integration sir?

I think we should all examine how we view those around us and how open minded we all are with these questions because we are making history right now.. There will be the Hobbes types for generations to come examining from a historical perspective our current approach to these questions.. In that regard, I think looking in the here and now is the most important and relevant thing we can possible do. Sweeping it under the rug Pbeau - not at all I advocate picking up the rug and examining every single detail but there is nothing we can do about the past - its done its over we can only change what is happening right now and setting our course into the future.
So in other words some of the people who are levelling judgement after judgment don't want to answer any questions themselves and simply don't even want to bother to get to know Anglo-Canadians, the group they are ever so opinionated and judgemental about.. Talk about hypocritical...

Old 08-10-2015, 11:09 PM

34,358 posts, read 41,436,735 times
It would be an interesting Cultural anthropology project to discover why some people who proclaim to have grown up in an Anglo environment then moved to Quebec became bilingual and now identify strongly with the francophone demographic, while i also grew up in an Anglophone environment moved to Quebec became bilingual and now identify strongly with the Anglophone culture.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:40 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,326,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
It would be an interesting Cultural anthropology project to discover why some people who proclaim to have grown up in an Anglo environment then moved to Quebec became bilingual and now identify strongly with the francophone demographic, while i also grew up in an Anglophone environment moved to Quebec became bilingual and now identify strongly with the Anglophone culture.
Well, both PBeau and I have francophone roots and you don't. That would explain most of it.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:35 PM

77 posts, read 77,094 times
Canada. O.K., I will be honest.

Most hypocritical country I've ever known. Loves to proclaim itself holier than the United States despite having similar race dynamics (we have more natives imprisoned proportionally than America does blacks), similiarly-hideous cities, oligarchic corporations controlling critical markets (Comcast, Bell - what's the difference?), bad food, and the worst ego complex I have ever seen. Exception given for Quebec and Indian reservations, which are awesome and third-world, respectively. And if you dislike anything in Canada, you're considered a bad person and you just hate everything/are secretly an American. Daring to even mention negatives in Canada earns you scorn; the mere sin of not caring about hockey raises eyebrows.

Meanwhile, Canada has no national housing plan, no national transit plan, a federation where 9/10 provinces trade more internationally than domestically (the 1 that doesn't is PEI), a genocidal Indian Act still on the books, an unfinished Constitution, an economy increasingly collapsing under the ill-advised pursuit of petro-statehood, runaway cost-of-living with no antidote in sight, and political stagnation to an alarming degree. Yay Canada! So much to be proud of. Oh, and seriously - you think Americans are nationalistic? Go to Ottawa and you'll see more flags per square inch than a vexiologist's convention.

But the Quebecois, like the Acadians and the Metis and the other Franco communities are actually cultured. Turning on RDI, you hear social commentary and meaningful conversation. CBC, on the other hand, is a cross between Buzzfeed and a puppet show. The network is a limping gazelle and it seems inclined to stauch the blood loss with bleeding-heart hashtag campaigns and yet another rut of mediocre dramas I'm never going to watch.

Ever wonder why the culinary culture of Canada overwhelmingly points to Quebec? Poutine, maple syrup and the tradition of the sugar shack - these are all things with critical hook-ups to Quebecois culture and social being. English Canada plays at it; Quebec actually lives it. The difference is why I exclude Quebec. It may look not as flashy, but by God are the Quebecois a noble and valiant people in comparison to the mess that is English Canada.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:35 PM

19,521 posts, read 20,892,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmann View Post
but by God are the Quebecois a noble and valiant people in comparison to the mess that is English Canada.
As an American who has lived in many parts of my country, now living just south of British Columbia, I would characterize English Canada as anything but a "mess."

I would further argue that any people who seek to assuage their feelings of inferiority by practicing linguistic and cultural discrimination against others, as the Quebecois do, are the farthest from "noble and valiant" as one can get.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:07 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,130,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
As an American who has lived in many parts of my country, now living just south of British Columbia, I would characterize English Canada as anything but a "mess."

I would further argue that any people who seek to assuage their feelings of inferiority by practicing linguistic and cultural discrimination against others, as the Quebecois do, are the farthest from "noble and valiant" as one can get.
Ok Yeledaf - Next double double is on me

Old 08-21-2015, 08:52 PM

19,521 posts, read 20,892,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Ok Yeledaf - Next double double is on me
Make it Wiser's 18.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:59 PM

18,265 posts, read 10,362,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post

Oooh; that'll leave a mark!

Old 08-22-2015, 06:31 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,326,583 times
Take the high road guys. Nobody's perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or