U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-05-2015, 08:34 AM
 
18,284 posts, read 10,383,572 times
Reputation: 13351

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
BTW in another forum I fréquent someone just posted about the HitchBot and how it is an example of American badness and Canadian goodness.
Yeah; in most of the ones I frequent, it's Americans pointing that out; go figure.

 
Old 08-05-2015, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Nation du Québec
237 posts, read 185,874 times
Reputation: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, it is often said that Québec and the US are somewhat insular when compared to English Canada. One unexpected effect of this is that Anglo-Canada seems to have its nose stuck on its neighbours' windows, peering inside, looking for stuff to point the finger at. And not looking as often in its own home. It is pretty obvious when you talk to average people and they are more aware of police shootings in the US and Anglo disrespect incidents in Qc than they are of cross burnings in NS or serial killers targeting native women on the Prairies.

It is what it is.
I also don't think that being obsessed with news events in America makes English Canadians more worldly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Not part of your culture to do so ? What a crock of unmitigated crappola! That's ALL you do at every opportunity awarded or manufactured as is very graphically demonstrated on these pages.

Every post structured to denigrate Canada is veritably dripping with the syrupy superiority of the French Canadian culture to anything else while of course, being very careful to delineate between the two similar burgeoning English cultures your butt cheeks are constantly touching, so as to not unnecessarily insult the one to your south.

Comical.
So defensive at the smallest critique. If you think in Québec all we do is sit here talking about English Canada's inferiority complex you are wrong. We don't pay attention to English Canada much if at all. I don't think anyone pays attention to English Canada because even English Canadians obsessing on the U.S. In a topic though about English Canada yes we are going to say some truths, like the false morality of English Canada culture that falls apart when you examine these myths.
 
Old 08-05-2015, 08:53 AM
 
18,284 posts, read 10,383,572 times
Reputation: 13351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour185 View Post
I also don't think that being obsessed with news events in America makes English Canadians more worldly.



So defensive at the smallest critique. If you think in Québec all we do is sit here talking about English Canada's inferiority complex you are wrong. We don't pay attention to English Canada much if at all. I don't think anyone pays attention to English Canada because even English Canadians obsessing on the U.S. In a topic though about English Canada yes we are going to say some truths, like the false morality of English Canada culture that falls apart when you examine these myths.
There you go again with characterizing the fact we're inundated with news for the U.S. not by our choice as being "obsessed". Does that technique actually work for you in your daily social intercourse?

Haar; you get a measured response back to that aforementioned faux assumption and it's being "defensive at the smallest of critiques".

I understand the requirement to ignore the fact I'm not responding to the content but rather the credibility of the content. Keep on, keeping on bro; whatever loads your sneaks.

"In a topic though about English Canada yes we are going to say some truths" I refer you to a couple of sentences of a post responding to A/J to wit: Sorry to disagree but using "it is often said" does not make it any more realistic and actual than "in my opinion" would.

and

It could even be opined our shoulder shrugs towards slurs emanating from those two in particular are because we've become inured to those critiques and ignore them more readily due to them being expected regardless of their credibility.

Summation: Because YOU say it is so does not make it so. I am refuting you saying it's so and not what you're saying is so......capiche?
 
Old 08-05-2015, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,947 posts, read 27,365,858 times
Reputation: 8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Sorry to disagree but using "it is often said" does not make it any more realistic and actual than "in my opinion" would.

.
Hardy har har. The alleged insularity of both the US and Quebec is constantly brought up here and elsewhere, and yet now that it is acknowledged to counter one of your arguments, the existence of this perception (on the part of English Canadians) is all of a sudden denied.
 
Old 08-05-2015, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,947 posts, read 27,365,858 times
Reputation: 8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

Should our neighbour to the south desire negative opinions or superior attitudes towards them not to be developed and expressed; by the rest of the world and not exclusively Canada, they know what is necessary to achieve that. If they're content with being who they are, well one can only suggest: 'you broke it, you own it'.

Most Canadians have no problem accepting accurate and legitimate criticism. We do so all the time from any number of sources including Quebec and the U.S.

It could even be opined our shoulder shrugs towards slurs emanating from those two in particular are because we've become inured to those critiques and ignore them more readily due to them being expected regardless of their credibility.
There is so little interest in Canada from the US and in English Canada from Quebec anyway, so it's kind of a moot point.

Add to this neighbourly indifference the generally low level of critical self-examination within Anglo-Canada, and you've got yourself what might be one of the least-scrutinized societies there is.

In this respect, it's actually pretty ''great to be you".

Kick back, relax and enjoy the ride, guys.
 
Old 08-05-2015, 11:03 AM
 
18,284 posts, read 10,383,572 times
Reputation: 13351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Hardy har har. The alleged insularity of both the US and Quebec is constantly brought up here and elsewhere, and yet now that it is acknowledged to counter one of your arguments, the existence of this perception (on the part of English Canadians) is all of a sudden denied.
Uuuh, wouldn't the key word there be "alleged"? How do you counter any argument with a hypothetical?

Also if one does not agree with this alleged insularity; why would one agree to it's suggested existence as use in countering an argument one is making against such a premise?

Again; where is it written there is so little interest shown by either the U.S. or Quebec in Canada at large. Interest can take the form of positive or negative and I'm certainly aware of "interest" shown by both.
 
Old 08-05-2015, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,691 posts, read 8,762,959 times
Reputation: 7313
To answer the title of this thread. In my experience no.

Do the Anglo Canadians I know like Quebec. Yes.
Do they love visiting Montreal for example. Yes.
Do they love it enough to move there. No.
Are they jealous of Quebec. No.
Do they think about Quebec on a daily or even weekly basis. No.
Do they think about Quebec at all. Yes, especially when something newsworthy is happening.
Do they they think Quebec whines too much. Yes, but it's like a sibling, you put up with it.
 
Old 08-05-2015, 12:05 PM
 
Location: London, UK
3,458 posts, read 4,010,720 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There is so little interest in Canada from the US and in English Canada from Quebec anyway, so it's kind of a moot point.

Add to this neighbourly indifference the generally low level of critical self-examination within Anglo-Canada, and you've got yourself what might be one of the least-scrutinized societies there is.

In this respect, it's actually pretty ''great to be you".

Kick back, relax and enjoy the ride, guys.


Just like with the racial stuff man, you...just...get...it.
 
Old 08-05-2015, 02:16 PM
 
261 posts, read 203,127 times
Reputation: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Yeah; in most of the ones I frequent, it's Americans pointing that out; go figure.
Of course they do; the US's so powerful (and I'll grant this to you, hard to ignore) that even some of its own citizens resent it. You'll find no shortage of Americans to tell you how awful the US is. I think that's way too harsh, but that's the thing: Americans do discuss their issues in all their ugliness.
 
Old 08-05-2015, 02:26 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,800 posts, read 17,723,856 times
Reputation: 9029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post
Of course they do; the US's so powerful (and I'll grant this to you, hard to ignore) that even some of its own citizens resent it. You'll find no shortage of Americans to tell you how awful the US is. I think that's way too harsh, but that's the thing: Americans do discuss their issues in all their ugliness.
Yes, a lot of us try our hardest to distinguish the government, military, media from average citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top