U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-29-2015, 08:17 AM
 
17 posts, read 14,555 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

It may sound silly but do any of you English Canadians get jealous of Quebeckers because they speak French (unique) and most are bilingual in French and English (some also in other languages) while you only speak English? If I was English Canadian I would have been jealous. Knowing other languages especially a world language like French is a huge plus + many Quebeckers can work for the federal government.

 
Old 07-29-2015, 10:01 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,942 posts, read 27,343,960 times
Reputation: 8602
The short answer is no but it's... complicated.

First of all, to correct an assumption. Not all French Canadians are bilingual in French and English. In fact, a slight majority are not. Even in the most anglo-exposed cities like Montreal and Gatineau somewhere between a third and half of them only speak French.

Another important point is that people's brains don't work like that.

Note that of those English Canadians who do value French, a chunk of them do speak it. Then there is another segment that values French but does not speak it for a variety of reasons.

Finally, there is a larger chunk that doesn't speak French and the attitude there is generally divided into two groups.

One group says that French is totally useless in Canada (often the world too), French is dying and English is triumphant, blablabla. The ''French is dying in the modern world'' crowd has a particularly large contingent in English Canada.

The other side acknowledges that French is important globally, but counters that it's not worth it to learn French here because it's not ''real French'' that is spoken by French Canadians.

Overall, English Canadians aren't jealous or even envious of French Canadians or Quebec for very much. And the reverse is true as well. Both groups are pretty self-satisfied. (Not sure if this is a good or a bad thing BTW.)

If there is any slight envy on the part of English Canadians it's the fact that language affords us a decent cultural barrier to stave off Americanization more effectively (but not entirely). But even then, not all English Canadians view things this way and many see the language thing as an insularity-fostering albatross for Quebec. (I hope that's the correct use of the world albatross).
 
Old 07-29-2015, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
8,593 posts, read 11,074,156 times
Reputation: 10301
I think some people are envious of some of the things that Quebec has, like subsidized daycare, an F1 race, etc. French isn't usually one of those things. The biggest reason for that is that it's not used.

I grew up in Alberta. I took 10 years of French, and short of a school trip where I went to Donnacona, I've never used it. Chinese would have had much more value, as 1/3 of my class was Chinese.
 
Old 07-29-2015, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Montreal
579 posts, read 468,241 times
Reputation: 256
Quebec may be a little jealous of other provinces' economies but this is by far the largest jealousy Quebecers do feel towards anglophone Canada...
 
Old 07-29-2015, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
11,265 posts, read 13,157,489 times
Reputation: 13467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The short answer is no but it's... complicated.

First of all, to correct an assumption. Not all French Canadians are bilingual in French and English. In fact, a slight majority are not. Even in the most anglo-exposed cities like Montreal and Gatineau somewhere between a third and half of them only speak French.

Another important point is that people's brains don't work like that.

Note that of those English Canadians who do value French, a chunk of them do speak it. Then there is another segment that values French but does not speak it for a variety of reasons.

Finally, there is a larger chunk that doesn't speak French and the attitude there is generally divided into two groups.

One group says that French is totally useless in Canada (often the world too), French is dying and English is triumphant, blablabla. The ''French is dying in the modern world'' crowd has a particularly large contingent in English Canada.

The other side acknowledges that French is important globally, but counters that it's not worth it to learn French here because it's not ''real French'' that is spoken by French Canadians.

Overall, English Canadians aren't jealous or even envious of French Canadians or Quebec for very much. And the reverse is true as well. Both groups are pretty self-satisfied. (Not sure if this is a good or a bad thing BTW.)

If there is any slight envy on the part of English Canadians it's the fact that language affords us a decent cultural barrier to stave off Americanization more effectively (but not entirely). But even then, not all English Canadians view things this way and many see the language thing as an insularity-fostering albatross for Quebec. (I hope that's the correct use of the world albatross).
Good post, Acajack.

If I ever have a kid, they'll be going to French immersion grade & high schools to afford them more opportunities in this fine country of ours. French was mandatory all through grade school, and the first part of high school, and I didn't pay attention.

I regret that now. I couldn't even get a job cleaning cars for VIA rail without knowing French.
 
Old 07-29-2015, 01:06 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,800 posts, read 17,713,305 times
Reputation: 9029
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfiGuy View Post
It may sound silly but do any of you English Canadians get jealous of Quebeckers because they speak French (unique) and most are bilingual in French and English (some also in other languages) while you only speak English? If I was English Canadian I would have been jealous. Knowing other languages especially a world language like French is a huge plus + many Quebeckers can work for the federal government.
Wouldn't you also be jealous of English Canadians who are bilingual?
 
Old 07-29-2015, 02:03 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,260,811 times
Reputation: 7586
Why do you assume everyone speaks English?

For the vast majority of people in the world (include many parts of Quebec), English is of as much use to them as French to you.

And if people are jealous of bilingual people, Quebecker don't stand out. Most of the immigrants speak a different language, sometimes more than one.

Federal jobs? Living in Ottawa? Thanks but no thanks. Pay me 50% more and I won't move there.
 
Old 07-29-2015, 02:17 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,260,811 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Wouldn't you also be jealous of English Canadians who are bilingual?
There probably aren't a lot of them. I mean those who were born and raised in Canada and can speak, read and write a different language fluently.
 
Old 07-29-2015, 02:47 PM
 
3,072 posts, read 4,277,280 times
Reputation: 6512
I'm not jealous, but I do wish that I had the same bilingual opportunity that my Quebecois spouse had. That being said, I have Quebecois friends who wish they had better opportunities to speak English (particularly many of my senior neighbours). Once you become bilingual, you realize how many people in Quebec do not know English. People think they are all bilingual, but those are only the ones willing to talk to you (usually in the service industry)!
 
Old 07-29-2015, 09:24 PM
 
625 posts, read 1,187,986 times
Reputation: 569
Sometimes jealous of the music, diversity and fun atmosphere ... I live in Victoria. Then again, Quebec is far away, we're also jealous of Portland! But, Victoria is catching up ...

As Acajack says, its not so straightforward ... in my case because I like what Montreal (and Toronto for that matter) has to offer culturally, and grew up with French in my household, at the same time because its so far away, its not terribly relevant to me. Plus I love the Pacific Northwest. I'd look to go to Seattle, Portland or Vancouver for a bigger city experience and would be interested in learning languages that are valuable in this region and the west coast, such as Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top