U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 06:53 PM

2,566 posts, read 2,195,913 times

Advertisements

Ah yes, the same old Botti rants.

Ridings suck.

Elections suck.

Democracy sucks.

Canada sucks.

Everything around me just sucks and I don't know why I haven't jumped off CN tower yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 07:17 PM

579 posts, read 471,626 times
The population will be turned off by week 6-8...

Old 07-31-2015, 08:19 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,320,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machjo View Post
I'be been asking my Livan candidates questions already, yet fundamentally they are all identical, from the CPC to the NDP and everything in between. The differences are in the superficialities.

Unless I find a candidate worth voting for, it looks like it will be another blank ballot for me. Disappointing, really.
Because nobody dare say anything more specific fearing some votes might be lost, so they keep repeating the same message with minimum difference.

Old 08-01-2015, 04:16 PM

12,587 posts, read 11,196,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The idea of Ridings is so that people who live in rural areas get a voice. It's to compensate for large areas of the country with few people.

However, I agree, it's time for a change. Not sure what or how, but I'm tired of the majority of Canadians not being heard or represented in Ottawa.
It is getting frustrating though - the majority is either left or centre left and yet we've got the minority centre right/right running the show. I almost hope one of either Trudeau or Mulcair falls flat on his face so that people start supporting just one and run with it.. It'll be interesting to see how the debates are going to go - something tells me Mulcair is going to perform well and Trudeau is going to continue to slip.. At this point and I know its nasty but Mulcair should focus the big attacks on Trudeau - this will give him the bigger bang for the buck than going after Harper whose base is pretty solidly behind him.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:14 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,211,943 times
Let's face it in Canada now the campaigning is virtually continuous, so anyone who complains about it being officially started and that it's soooo long and Harper's doing this because it's giving him an advantage is either a rank leftist or doesn't pay much attention to politics to begin with.

The end result of this election will be that people sheepishly will vote for one of the mainstream party and nothing will really change. The mainstream parties will once again feel validated to maintain the status quo. Maybe the only change in the last decade is the Greens weasling into the discussion at times. I hope a minor party runs in my riding, otherwise I probably won't vote.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:50 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,320,683 times
I will start packing if NDP starts to "run the show".
No matter how bad the conservatives are, they still live in reality; the NDP on the other hand live in the sky. What they can come up with is always more taxes. People should realize making $$$ money (not that I do) is not a sin, being dependend is.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:04 PM

2,566 posts, read 2,195,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I will start packing if NDP starts to "run the show".
No matter how bad the conservatives are, they still live in reality; the NDP on the other hand live in the sky. What they can come up with is always more taxes. People should realize making $$$ money (not that I do) is not a sin, being dependend is.
The NDP has never formed federal cabinet in the history of Canada, so how would you know what they will actually do when they are in power? Yes, Conservatives live in an energy-orgasm reality where Brent and WTI crude consistently stay at $100+ per barrel regardless of global demand. Very realistic policies indeed.

And Botti, given your massive laundry list of grievances, complaints, and random outbursts of rage that you have against Canada, I think it's a good idea to start packing now anyway, regardless of who wins the election in October. Just some practical advice.

Last edited by bostonkid123; 08-03-2015 at 10:40 PM..

Old 08-03-2015, 10:07 PM

1,691 posts, read 1,662,119 times
I love the Conservative commercials. Slamming Mulcair as a career politician - Harper has been in politics for what, 23 years now?

Hate the Liberals, don't care much for the NDP, but despise the Conservatives. If I could vote (can't now, thanks Supreme Court!), it would have to be for the NDP.

Interesting poll today - the BQ is around 20% in Quebec, which would translate into 1-3 seats. Eek.

Quote:
You don't see the point? Some riding have 100,000 people some have 5,000, and they both are represented by one person in the parliament.
Oh come on. According to 2011 data in the wiki, the smallest riding had 26,000 people, and only 8 had fewer than 50,000. This is in the old 308 seat world, but I doubt it has changed that much given that the 30 new ridings were used to split dense districts in Ontario, BC and Alberta.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:20 PM

5,710 posts, read 6,568,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
The NDP has never formed government in the history of Canada, so how would you know what they will actually do when they are in power? Yes, Conservatives live in an energy-orgasm reality where Brent and WTI crude consistently stay at $100+ per barrel regardless of global demand. Very realistic policies indeed.

And Botti, given your massive laundry list of grievances, complaints, and random outbursts of rage that you have against Canada, I think it's a good idea to start packing now anyway, regardless of who wins the election in October. Just some practical advice.
The NDP has formed provincial governments though and somehow we've managed to survive without everyone quitting their jobs and going on the public dole. I frankly have never noticed much difference at all in who is in power. It's discouraging.

But I can't agree at all with the idea that people who are critical of Canada should move.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:50 AM

564 posts, read 880,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
No matter how bad the conservatives are, they still live in reality...
Actually, while I am no fan of any political party, the Conservatives have worked tirelessly to oppress science, journalists, and critics, muzzling those who might say something that their ideology and/or base does not want to hear.

So I think the only version of "reality" they are interested in is their own sense of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or