Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 01:23 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
So Harper wants to outlaw travel to certain 'declared areas' that are ground zero for terrorism..

Canada election 2015: Tories propose ban on travel to terrorist hotspots - Politics - CBC News

He does state the following

"We are talking about the most dangerous places on earth, where governance is nonexistent and violence is widespread and brutal."

I have concerns about the power this government would have to declare an area as being outlawed for travel.. For now its hotbeds for terrorism but will it end there... Not liking this slippery slope....
His bill will fail. From the Charter:

6. (1) Every citizen of Canada has the right to enter, remain in and leave Canada.

Emphasis added by me.

And when they return? Why, they were in Istanbul, or Tel Aviv, or Frankfurt.

I am sure Mr. Harper knows this is a toothless proposition; he has educated advisors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 06:37 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post

6. (1) Every citizen of Canada has the right to enter, remain in and leave Canada.

Emphasis added by me.

I am sure Mr. Harper knows this is a toothless proposition; he has educated advisors.
So basically its an election ploy than to solidify support from the base.. If that is the case typical Politician.. I don't really like any of them tbh but I've had enough of this man and it has nothing to do with him being from Alberta. Heck he was born and raised in my backyard in Toronto but I've simply had enough of this man and his politics. Than again, I've never been a Conservative lol.

Sorry Chevy just a little rant

excuse me

Last edited by fusion2; 08-11-2015 at 07:14 AM..

Old 08-11-2015, 11:47 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post

Emphasis added by me.

Yes, I don't get how Mr. Harper, a seemingly well-educated, well-informed seasoned politician could honestly expect this to go down with the Supreme Court. The vast majority of laws he's proposed so far - especially those that encroach upon existing civil liberties - have already been struck down by Supreme Court, and he's just shoveling more and more of these down the court's pipeline waiting to be struck down.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:58 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
So Harper wants to outlaw travel to certain 'declared areas' that are ground zero for terrorism..

Canada election 2015: Tories propose ban on travel to terrorist hotspots - Politics - CBC News

"We are talking about the most dangerous places on earth, where governance is nonexistent and violence is widespread and brutal."

I have concerns about the power this government would have to declare an area as being outlawed for travel.. For now its hotbeds for terrorism but will it end there... Not liking this slippery slope....
that's so stupid and the most important reason I hesitate about voting for him.

I remember before Americans pretended to be Canadians when travel overseas, but it probably isn't an option any more, thanks to Harper's self-important government.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
that's so stupid and the most important reason I hesitate about voting for him.

I remember before Americans pretended to be Canadians when travel overseas, but it probably isn't an option any more, thanks to Harper's self-important government.
You haven't lived in Canada prior to Stephen Harper.. Now i'm not saying that its all his fault, other nations have been very competitive and its still a good place to live even under his rule, but there was a time before Mr Harper when Canada was ranked the number 1 nation in the world to live by the UN and was a more respected nation the world over. We've gone down a good 10 spots in rankings by the UN and we've also slid down the rung in our foreign relations and he's put too many eggs in the Oil basket. He's cut funding to important industries that would make Canada a more diverse economy.

Anyway, I'm not a Harper fan... Its been almost 10 years with him as PM and I just feel as though its time for a change in leadership and if he isn't willing to step aside voluntary i'm more than happy to be a part of the populace that forces an early retirement.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:37 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
I agree it's time for the Conservative to bow out and I think they will lose the election. I think we'll have a minority government though.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:17 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
He's cut funding to important industries that would make Canada a more diverse economy.
Such as?

Don't forget Canada survived the worst global financial crisis in a century thru the middle of his rule pretty much unscathed, comparably speaking.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:14 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
The NDP has formed provincial governments though and somehow we've managed to survive without everyone quitting their jobs and going on the public dole. I frankly have never noticed much difference at all in who is in power. It's discouraging.

Ask British Columbians about NDP in power...they will have a story to tell.....

Old 08-11-2015, 05:19 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:

Not even the generally more right wing US governments ever dared to attempt something like that.

Many think that Cuba embargo it's a travel ban....it is not, technically you are forbidden to have any economic relationship with Cuba so just spending your dollars there violates the law but it is not an outright travel ban.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Such as?

Don't forget Canada survived the worst global financial crisis in a century thru the middle of his rule pretty much unscathed, comparably speaking.
Well to start Science, R&D spending, lack of investment in a green technology ecosystem

Harper

Tourism was also impacted with cuts to the CTC

Tories Have Pushed Canadian Tourism Off the Map*|*Glenn Thibeault

In fairness, Harper has recently boosted tourism spending to attract more U.S tourists but this is just a patch to help undue damage done in the first place that shouldn't have been done and our tourism numbers have suffered as a result under his watch..

Ontario hasn't received one cent of the promised 200 million dollars in Advanced Manufacturing Funding that would be particularly beneficial to the economy right now

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/comme...rage_goar.html

Lets face it- is Harper an advocate of a balanced economy in this country supporting high tech manufacturing and the industries I've noted as much as Oil - I don't think so and we're now in a recession because of guess what - our reliance too much on one industry. Talk about tunnel vision. I'm not anti oil but I am pro economic diversity in this country and in that I don't think Harper has been focused on all along nor do I think he has our back.

Last edited by fusion2; 08-11-2015 at 06:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada