Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 09:52 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,995 times

Advertisements

Probably one of the highly opinionated non-Canadian posters that hang around this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 10:22 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Based on some of the comments I've seen elsewhere on the forum and a few other sites and from what I saw of the actual attack on video I'd say xenophobia is the prime motivation for the attack on it.

The incident was caught on street cameras and the video of it was shown on the evening news tonight. Some guy saw the robot while he was walking by a bench where the robot had been left. The guy stopped and looked at the writing and signs on it for a moment then started putting the boots to it and kicked the crap out of it til it was all broken up and the frame bent out of shape. He was a fair skinned blonde guy that looked to be in his early to mid 20's and he was wearing punky looking baggy clothes. On the news report it didn't show what happened to the head after the head got kicked off.
It's a fake video.
Vloggers Faked a Surveillance Video, But Did They Destroy hitchBOT?

Old 08-05-2015, 12:10 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Interesting. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see if what's left of hitchbot gets returned and see what kind of condition it's in.

If those guys did fake the video I have a feeling their prank will backfire on them. Now they have made themselves look like malicious suspects in what was not a funny prank and I suspect a lot of people that have been following them on youtube might not think they're so cool and worth following anymore.

If those guys did fake the video or otherwise interfered with the robot, they are now part of the social experiment and have demonstrated to society something very ugly and sick about their own type of character and culture.

It was still a successful social experiment, including the manner and place in which the robot's journey came to an end.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:17 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
If the researchers do it again they've probably learned from this incident to start in other countries again and if it succeeds through other countries they can leave USA to the last. If they do try USA again hopefully they'll start it in the PNW states. I would never hold out a lot of hope for it to make it through USA without mishap anyway, the way it did in other countries, simply because there are so many trigger happy gun nuts, tinfoil hatters and xenophobes with an axe to grind in USA. We all know that's a fact of life in USA. But I do think if they started it in the west it may "survive" longer.
Lol yea you people don't know anything about life in the USA and should quit acting like you do

Old 08-05-2015, 06:16 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Lol yea you people don't know anything about life in the USA and should quit acting like you do
Invinc; that just does not resonate as factual. We know a lot about life in the USA through a variety of sources up to and including living there.

We're inundated with "life in the USA" on a daily basis. Every single day brings us more info than we desire about life in the USA and it's mostly presented to us by American sources.

Just peruse American posts in the many threads on this site about this particular incident to gain agreement that in the context of "life in the USA" many Americans are in complete and total sync with what we have come to understand as "Life in the USA."

C'mon now; your country is not that terribly complex and difficult to read. Your country displays it's Monday laundry for the world to see as a point of pride, warts and all. That's probably one of the USA's most redeeming features....what you see is what you get. We see it all.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:29 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Invinc; that just does not resonate as factual. We know a lot about life in the USA through a variety of sources up to and including living there.

We're inundated with "life in the USA" on a daily basis. Every single day brings us more info than we desire about life in the USA and it's mostly presented to us by American sources.

Just peruse American posts in the many threads on this site about this particular incident to gain agreement that in the context of "life in the USA" many Americans are in complete and total sync with what we have come to understand as "Life in the USA."

C'mon now; your country is not that terribly complex and difficult to read. Your country displays it's Monday laundry for the world to see as a point of pride, warts and all. That's probably one of the USA's most redeeming features....what you see is what you get. We see it all.

I live right in the heart of Philadelphia, and have been around the locale where the Robot "may" have come to its end. And yes, Philadelphia is what I would call a pretty rough town. I can't tell you how many times I have been screamed at by a motorist because I attempted to cross the street on a green light while they wanted to turn. Or people that glare at you (particularly African Americans) as you walk by them on the street. Then there are the actual attacks that place in the city at night by thugs on innocent people (recent gay bashing comes to mind, they are on trial now). It came as no surprise to me that a dump city like this would kill the thing.

And yeah Philly is in the US, so the culture you see here is the culture of America generally. Poor people are everywhere in Philly, and the US as we know has its fair share of poor people. Philly is full of what I would call angry people. Toronto to me felt much safer and more refined in a way. And yeah I think it is pretty obvious the US had loads and loads of people that are angry and have huge chips on their shoulders. But Americans of course just keep drinking the cool aid of how we are soooo exceptional and the greatest blah blah.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:39 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,866 times
Quote:
Interesting. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see if what's left of hitchbot gets returned and see what kind of condition it's in.

If those guys did fake the video I have a feeling their prank will backfire on them. Now they have made themselves look like malicious suspects in what was not a funny prank and I suspect a lot of people that have been following them on youtube might not think they're so cool and worth following anymore.

If those guys did fake the video or otherwise interfered with the robot, they are now part of the social experiment and have demonstrated to society something very ugly and sick about their own type of character and culture.

It was still a successful social experiment, including the manner and place in which the robot's journey came to an end.

It is fake. That's EdBassmaster, a famous prankster from Philly doing his character Teste. CBC got trolled. You are taking things way to seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hsHodakmxA

Old 08-05-2015, 12:46 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
What Bru said.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:52 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
It is fake. That's EdBassmaster, a famous prankster from Philly doing his character Teste. CBC got trolled. You are taking things way to seriously.

The Robot is still destroyed isn't it.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:57 PM

428 posts, read 450,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post

+ 1

It's something that no one even knew existed until they saw a post on the internet about it, and now they are moral crusaders and suddenly take the destruction of the robot as an attack on Canada. Most Canadians aren't concerned with this stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada