U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 10:04 AM

1,634 posts, read 2,200,566 times

Advertisements

HitchBOT destroyed in Philadelphia, ending U.S. tour - Technology & Science - CBC News

HitchBOT destroyed in Philadelphia, ending U.S. tour

Researchers say Canadian-made hitchhiking robot ruined beyond repair

A hitchhiking robot that captured the hearts of fans worldwide met its demise in the U.S.

The Canadian researchers who created hitchBOT as a social experiment say someone in Philadelphia damaged the robot beyond repair on Saturday, ending its brief American tour.

The robot was trying to travel cross-country after successfully hitchhiking across Canada last year and parts of Europe. It set out from Marblehead, Massachusetts, two weeks ago in July with the goal of reaching San Francisco, but never made it off the East Coast. The creators were sent an image of the vandalized robot but cannot track its location because the battery is dead. They say they don't know who destroyed it or why. But co-creator Frauke Zeller says many children who adored the robot are now heartbroken. A photo reportedly showing what was left of the destroyed robot was posted on Twitter on Saturday night.

Why am I not shocked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 10:10 AM

34,361 posts, read 41,436,735 times
Some one probably thought it was a drone or a real space alien and probably ran it over or shot it.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:11 AM

3,458 posts, read 4,004,613 times
Lol. I love Philly but the place is kinda messed up.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:17 AM

167 posts, read 192,508 times
WHAT!! This story is so funny!! And yeah, sorry but Philly sucks. Def messed up in a bad kind of way!

Old 08-03-2015, 10:20 AM

1,634 posts, read 2,200,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Some one probably thought it was a drone or a real space alien and probably ran it over or shot it.
hitchbot traveled across canada, and europe with no issues at all.
then it made its way safely through boston, and no one thought it was a bomb or anything.
also safely passed through nyc, but once it reached philly it was sadly decapitated.

ryerson university's hard work, gone down the drain. smh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by darky View Post
WHAT!! This story is so funny!! And yeah, sorry but Philly sucks. Def messed up in a bad kind of way!
there is actually international outrage.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:59 AM

Yeah and there's also a woman that hitchhiked through the Middle East in a bride's dress and got raped and murdered without going very far. THAT should incite outrage.

It should have skipped Philly, might have made it to Texas...

Old 08-03-2015, 01:54 PM

7,216 posts, read 6,572,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
hitchbot traveled across canada, and europe with no issues at all.
then it made its way safely through boston, and no one thought it was a bomb or anything.
also safely passed through nyc, but once it reached philly it was sadly decapitated.

ryerson university's hard work, gone down the drain. smh...

there is actually international outrage.
I think there should not be outrage. I said this in the topic about it in Current Events and will say it here too. You have to be pragmatic about it. Granted it's disappointing that it got trashed but it shouldn't come as a surprise since it was a social experiment and it was a successful experiment. Even including the location and means of its destruction provides data about the social experiment. Look how far it got in other countries and everyone in those countries thought it was a hoot. That says something about international social attitudes.

The researchers who designed it and started it off on its trip surely anticipated there was a 50/50 chance of something like this happening or of it simply disappearing with no knowledge of what happened to it. They just didn't know where it would happen if it did happen. And now they do know and that result is part of the social experiment - as is the mixed reactions from people learning of it's destruction. Even the negative or snarky comments from some of the people here on the forum speaks volumes about their attitude that could be considered a contribution of data to the social experiment.

If the researchers do it again they've probably learned from this incident to start in other countries again and if it succeeds through other countries they can leave USA to the last. If they do try USA again hopefully they'll start it in the PNW states. I would never hold out a lot of hope for it to make it through USA without mishap anyway, the way it did in other countries, simply because there are so many trigger happy gun nuts, tinfoil hatters and xenophobes with an axe to grind in USA. We all know that's a fact of life in USA. But I do think if they started it in the west it may "survive" longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darky View Post
Yeah and there's also a woman that hitchhiked through the Middle East in a bride's dress and got raped and murdered without going very far. THAT should incite outrage.

It should have skipped Philly, might have made it to Texas...
Your comment is misplaced, off topic and not relevant to a robot but I'll comment on your post anyway.

I don't know if that story about the woman is true or not (I kind of doubt it) but if it's true then the only thing people should be outraged about is that a imbecile with a violent death wish deliberately set herself up as bait to be murdered and other people let her do it. I'm sorry if this happened and she was raped and murdered but only a mentally disturbed woman who wants to die violently would pull a stunt like that in the Middle East. There is no way she could have set out to do that without knowing she was 100% guaranteed to get raped and murdered very soon into her hitch-hiking journey through the Middle East. If she couldn't accept that fact and was too cognitively impaired to understand it then other sensible people who did know it and who should have cared about her well being should have stopped her and gotten mental health counselling for her. The person or people who raped and murdered her are to blame but the irresponsible people who let her do it without intervening are more to blame and any outrage should be directed at them.

Last edited by Zoisite; 08-03-2015 at 02:09 PM..

Old 08-03-2015, 05:15 PM

Artist hitchhiking to Israel in wedding dress found dead in Turkey | GulfNews.com

She was an artist and called for world peace. Did she should have known something bad was to happen? Yes. Does that mean you have to lose faith? No.
Yes I did go off-topic, but only because somebody said the robot thing caused an "international" outrage. People die all over the world and it does not make an outrage, now we got to cry over some robot? Come on.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:45 PM

261 posts, read 202,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I would never hold out a lot of hope for it to make it through USA without mishap anyway, the way it did in other countries, simply because there are so many trigger happy gun nuts, tinfoil hatters and xenophobes with an axe to grind in USA.
Yes, I know HitchBOT was anthropomorphic, but still, don't you think "xenophobia" is, you know, not at all a correct explanation for what happened?

Old 08-04-2015, 12:09 AM

7,216 posts, read 6,572,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post
Yes, I know HitchBOT was anthropomorphic, but still, don't you think "xenophobia" is, you know, not at all a correct explanation for what happened?
Based on some of the comments I've seen elsewhere on the forum and a few other sites and from what I saw of the actual attack on video I'd say xenophobia is the prime motivation for the attack on it.

The incident was caught on street cameras and the video of it was shown on the evening news tonight. Some guy saw the robot while he was walking by a bench where the robot had been left. The guy stopped and looked at the writing and signs on it for a moment then started putting the boots to it and kicked the crap out of it til it was all broken up and the frame bent out of shape. He was a fair skinned blonde guy that looked to be in his early to mid 20's and he was wearing punky looking baggy clothes. On the news report it didn't show what happened to the head after the head got kicked off.

The remains of the broken robot were already being returned to Canada today. One of the researchers that was interviewed by news reporters said the researchers had already expected ahead of time that if the robot was going to meet with deliberate violence it would probably be in USA because of the tough culture there but they decided to take the chance and they allowed it anyway. But that's why it went through Canada and Europe first before being sent to USA, it's part of the social experiment to see how safe it would be in each country and they were leaving USA to the last in case of just such an anticipated violent incident.

So there you go. The social experiment proved to be a successful experiment in both the positively and negatively anticipated actions that occurred with it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or