U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-12-2015, 08:36 PM
 
1,317 posts, read 2,038,080 times
Reputation: 1132

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Of course reputation matters. You really think people pay hundreds of thousands in tuition to go to Harvard or Stanford or Duke just for their engineering or science programs? Lol. I wish the world were like what you described - everything evaluated strictly on quality and merit. But that isn't the world we live in.
Canada isn't the States. Universities and their reputations aren't destiny to near the same extent north of the border. And a ****ty degree in folklore from McGill won't give you a huge leg up on the kid who has an equally ****ty degree in folklore from Memorial.

Anyway, you didn't answer my question: do UBC and the University of Alberta make the cut of top Canadian universities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-12-2015, 11:02 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
3,402 posts, read 4,459,175 times
Reputation: 4409
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Canada isn't the States. Universities and their reputations aren't destiny to near the same extent north of the border. And a ****ty degree in folklore from McGill won't give you a huge leg up on the kid who has an equally ****ty degree in folklore from Memorial.

Anyway, you didn't answer my question: do UBC and the University of Alberta make the cut of top Canadian universities?
UBC has a really good reputation for pretty well anything. Alberta...I don't even know if the university is in Edmonton or Calgary. It probably isn't.

UBC, UofT, McGill are probably the top in the country. A lot of people are also really fond of Waterloo, Guelph, and Queen's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2015, 12:30 AM
 
1,317 posts, read 2,038,080 times
Reputation: 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
UBC has a really good reputation for pretty well anything.
Yup, I know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Alberta...I don't even know if the university is in Edmonton or Calgary. It probably isn't.
It's in Edmonton and it's a very good school for most programs of study.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
UBC, UofT, McGill are probably the top in the country.
I'd agree that these universities are probably the top three when it comes to Canada's English-language universities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
A lot of people are also really fond of Waterloo, Guelph, and Queen's.
Waterloo and Queen's are generally well regarded. Guelph seems to enjoy respect, but I've never thought of in as being in the same league as Waterloo or Queen's. It starts to get more program-specific when it comes to rankings as you move down the food chain, of course. Some universities are better than others when it comes to X, Y or Z. You know how it goes. Most schools have their strengths and very few Canadian universities are at or near the top across all (or even most) disciplines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top