U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 09:57 PM

21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
If you could for 1 minute stop being so emotional and actually read the things I post, I don't have any issues with Anglophones speaking English at home, getting education in English, having access to media in English or anything of the sort. A decent bit of my own education has been in English so again, quit with the assumptions. My only grievance is against Anglophones like you who rail against the Quebecois and against Francophones in Canada in general without any regard to the historical context of their presence in Canada. You're the only person who seems to have a huge laundry list of grievances against Canada and against Quebec so again, if you don't like it in Montreal, go back to Miami.

As I have stated many times and have backed up with evidence, Quebec's Anglophones enjoy more rights and greater access to resources in practice than most linguistic minorities do throughout the Western world. They certainly enjoy more rights and more support than Francophones do in the rest of Canada. The only thing the government of Quebec requires of it's Anglophone/Allophone population is that it learns to speak French. Period. And even that is too much to ask of 1/3 of Quebec's anglophone community, which suggests that perhaps Quebec is too generous towards its Anglophone community that it supposedly oppresses.

First Nations are oppressed. People of colour harassed by the police and profiled by government agencies are oppressed. You being asked to speak French in Quebec, where 80% of the population is Francophone, is not oppression. Francophones in the ROC nearly all learn English. What's wrong with you?

As for Francophone culture being "feeble"...having to share a continent with 300 million anglophones who have little interest in supporting your culture doesn't make one feeble. Rather, it places the onus on YOU to protect YOUR culture since nobody else will do it for you. And that's what Quebec has elected to do. Furthermore, time and time again it's been shown that in areas where Anglos and Francos co-exist, the Francophones tend to learn English, whereas Anglophones generally do not learn French. You see it in Ontario, you see it in New Brunswick, and prior to Loi 101 you saw it in Quebec. Quebec's supposedly draconian language laws are in place because the Anglos made them necessary in the first place. Blame those who came before you.

You would think someone old enough to receive pension would have more sense and be more reasonable but clearly common sense isn't very common.
Jambo excluded (and even so, I am not really sure that he is serious about it), the single most worrisome issue for Quebec anglos is the possible independence of the province from Canada. And yet there is a large chunk of the community that doesn't even realize that they are helping to keep the separatist movement alive by behaving in the way you describe. The reasonably good effectiveness of Bill 101 is probably a major reason why Quebec is still part of Canada today and that the 1980 and 1995 referendums did not get higher Oui scores than they did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 02:11 AM

34,365 posts, read 41,446,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This is getting contradictory. Are most francophones nasty nationalists who make life difficult for poor anglophones, or are they cool guys? I am getting both messages from you.
I see both sides of the francophone attitude those that hate Canada and Anglos and want to separate from Canada and those that get along with Anglos and give no negative thought to being Canadian.
My beef is and always has been about the malcontents who hate Anglos and Canada coupled with the Quebec governments language laws which are restrictive to any one not francophone as a result many have left Quebec more continue to leave and how many people and business just never came to Quebec.
As the Quebec Anglo population has been reduced to a mere 8% of Quebecs population and ever more linguistic legislation is enacted IMO Quebec has formed itself into a country within a country as such its time for Quebec to go it alone,thus my willingness to help Quebec along by voting in a way to bring that about.
Also Anglos arent that worried about the possibility of Quebec separating any more, a generation of Quebec and all of its linguistic bs has Anglos attitude now being dont let the door hit your butt on the way out eh!
I can assure you that out pouring of Anglo camaraderie towards Quebec during the last referendum wont be happening on the next one.

Last edited by jambo101; 08-09-2015 at 02:20 AM..

Old 08-09-2015, 02:28 AM

34,365 posts, read 41,446,089 times
Quote:
And yet there is a large chunk of the community that doesn't even realize that they are helping to keep the separatist movement alive by behaving in the way you describe. .
In what way should Anglophones/allophones behave to induce the Quebec government to drop all its linguistic laws or lose the attitude Longueuils mayor puts forth?or turn all the separatists into proud to be Canadians?.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:30 PM

359 posts, read 264,162 times
Quote:
The reasonably good effectiveness of Bill 101 is probably a major reason why Quebec is still part of Canada today and that the 1980 and 1995 referendums did not get higher Oui scores than they did.
This is one of the most important and true things that anyone has said on any of these Quebec threads.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:46 PM

4 posts, read 5,253 times
Default Anglo Quebecers are wimps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Slightly more European style of government, culture, and society I suppose. Think France which to most Americans and other Westerners is a relatively free country but one that prides its own culture and society so much that it does pass laws that protect the majority and discriminate against the minority such as forbidding Muslim women from veiling their faces in public (just an example). That could never be allowed in the US. Think also the UK which has a parliamentary form of government and everyone in a political party (say Labour) votes with the party and any attempt at luring other parties to vote with the party in power is done via party coalitions. It's not like the US where Democrats can simply attract individual Republicans for bipartisan support on an issue.

Certainly there is less of a degree of individualism in a European model but I wouldn't go so far as to dismiss it as a dictatorship. It can actually be better in some ways depending on how you look at it. Some Francophone Quebecois, especially the ones in power, probably feel that their culture and language are threatened which is why they are doing the utmost to protect it, even over the rights of the Anglophone minority. Given Canada's history, I can understand why. I am personally not taking sides in this issue but just trying to explain the situation.
I think that Anglo Quebecers are wimps and afraid of the french quebecers so they bow down to them and kiss their a----. And frankly, these are the same wimps that bow down to the corrupt governments in canada and corrupt cops. These people are also ignorant. Below average intelligence. Imagine a bunch of citizens living in a supposed democratic country bowing down to deportees from France who were kicked out of prisons and nuthouses. It is absurd. And if they are so afraid of the french or see them as a threat, if they start getting violent (as they have a long history of) why don`t the anlgo quebecers call in the army? The rest of canada does not bow down to these troublemaking and troubled french quebecers. And they should not bow down to them in quebec either. They take so much s--- from the french. They must have very little self respect.How they can live under these conditions I do not know. It is absurd. And no group in this country should be given special privileges to s--- on another group of citizens. The canadian govt is corrupt a and could not care less about the citizens and they bow down to french quebecers (ottawa keeps giving them money) so that they will not separate and VOTE for the govt. The canadian govt is basically buying votes because a large part of the country lives in quebec.There are a lot of french quebecers in quebec. It is sick and sickening.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:53 PM

How right you are. I totally agree that ango quebecers are allowing the separatist movement to thrive along with other ridiculous language laws, etc by the way they behave towards the french quebecers, in the way they bow down to them.It is like Nazi Germany in Quebec. I recall being on some buses in Montreal and the drivers refuse to speak English and are so rude and obnoxious and they have their radios by their sides blasting out rap music (and these are drivers who are over 35 years old) and the passengers all got off at the front of the bus one by one (they could have used the back door) and made sure the driver was looking, and then one by one they would wish him a good day and say thank you in french. And of course the driver would just sit there like a lump and not say a word. It was like the passengers were afraid of the french bus driver (and many of the passengers were anglos) and that if they did not wish him a good day and say thank you they were afraid he would attack them. Have these people been brainwashed or what is their problem? It is the Gestapo all over again.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:55 PM

Hey-- how about Canada separating from Quebec? I will vote YES.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:39 PM

430 posts, read 676,455 times
Quote:
The feds have come around in this way for a few reasons, including the fact that the political power of Quebec anglos has decreased. I would guess Quebec anglos were a very influential 5-7% of the total Anglo-Canadian population a couple of generations ago. Today they are what? 3%?

Public opinion outside of Quebec has also tired of the debate. People in the rest of Canada are now as likely to say ''why don't you move, then?'' to irate Quebec anglos as they are to rally to support them.
Interesting points. And I didn't know there were so many Anglo Quebecers on this board. I have my Canadian citizenship through an Anglo Quebecer parent, and she moved to the USA to leave the French behind. Of my six first cousins from Quebec, four have moved to other places as well. Two to Los Angeles, one to Vancouver, and one to Toronto. Even the French Canadian I dated for a summer, who was and is very bilingual, has left the province for Hamilton, Ontario.

So I think you're right. The rest of Canada probably wants to know why they don't just leave Quebec these days, when there's a huge variety of nearby English-speaking places to go both in and outside of Canada. And my experience has been that 6 of 8 Quebecers I've personally known well have seen the writing on the wall and left the province. I myself wonder why every English-first person in Quebec hasn't moved to Toronto, Calgary, or Vancouver yet.

This all being said, I love visiting Quebec. And I love Quebecois women. There's something about the best of them I find very attractive, even moreso than the best of women from France.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:31 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,486,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
Interesting points. And I didn't know there were so many Anglo Quebecers on this board. I have my Canadian citizenship through an Anglo Quebecer parent, and she moved to the USA to leave the French behind. Of my six first cousins from Quebec, four have moved to other places as well. Two to Los Angeles, one to Vancouver, and one to Toronto. Even the French Canadian I dated for a summer, who was and is very bilingual, has left the province for Hamilton, Ontario.

So I think you're right. The rest of Canada probably wants to know why they don't just leave Quebec these days, when there's a huge variety of nearby English-speaking places to go both in and outside of Canada. And my experience has been that 6 of 8 Quebecers I've personally known well have seen the writing on the wall and left the province. I myself wonder why every English-first person in Quebec hasn't moved to Toronto, Calgary, or Vancouver yet.

This all being said, I love visiting Quebec. And I love Quebecois women. There's something about the best of them I find very attractive, even moreso than the best of women from France.
Anglos in Quebec don't all move to other provinces because they're people, with family networks, social networks, cultural attachments, and jobs anchoring them to their communities. Moving is a disruptive and expensive process for anyone that is only feasible in specific windows on time in anyone's life. Sure, there's absolutely a huge trend of outmigration, but you'll never see everyone in a population leaving or assimilating. Even in the Eastern Townships, it took over a 100 years for the Anglo outmigration to leave only a negligibly small community. Also, those guys who just posted I am absolutely sure are not Anglo-Quebeckers. Aside from myself and Jambo, I think there's only one other Anglo-Quebecker on this board, and he doesn't post often anymore.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:48 PM

430 posts, read 676,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Even in the Eastern Townships, it took over a 100 years for the Anglo outmigration to leave only a negligibly small community. Also, those guys who just posted I am absolutely sure are not Anglo-Quebeckers. Aside from myself and Jambo, I think there's only one other Anglo-Quebecker on this board, and he doesn't post often anymore.
Oh OK, well two is more than I would have expected. Mainly because the Eastern Townships are all that I know of Anglo Quebeckers. I suppose most of you (us, through my mother) Anglos are from Montreal instead of there? My family founded the town of North Hatley, Quebec, generations ago, and more recently, two streets are named after my grandfather there. He never spoke a word of French before he died in 2003. My uncle (and his workers) built the pier there. I've never heard him speak a word of French either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or