U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 05:02 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,486,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
Oh OK, well two is more than I would have expected. Mainly because the Eastern Townships are all that I know of Anglo Quebeckers. I suppose most of you (us, through my mother) Anglos are from Montreal instead of there? My family founded the town of North Hatley, Quebec, generations ago, and more recently, two streets are named after my grandfather there. He never spoke a word of French before he died in 2003. My uncle (and his workers) built the pier there. I've never heard him speak a word of French either.
Oh, North Hatley is still pretty English, I've been there, and actually know off hand that it's still more than 50% English since I fleshed out most of the below wikipedia article years ago using Stats-can data. Unfortunately I can't really update it properly because Mr. Harper abolished the mandatory long form census for really dumb reasons

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...er_communities

Indeed, most of the community has consolidated in Montreal, one of its historic bastions, where services and institutions are consolidated and can better support it. Another major centre is the Outaoais, centred on Gatineau in the National Capital Region, but there are bilingual communities dotting both sides of the Ottawa river from the NCR to Montreal. There are of course, as the article above would demonstrate, still lots of English people in smaller towns around Quebec, most noticeably on the North Shore by Labrador, and of course there are still plenty of people in the Eastern Townships, but they're certainly a small minority today, especially in the larger towns and cities like Sherbrooke.

Anyways, if you have any questions about the modern day version of the culture your family came from, just ask me! I was born and raised in the fairly Anglo West Island suburbs of Montreal, attended McGill University, and moved to Vancouver a few years ago to study at UBC, but head back home often, sometimes working in the summers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 05:37 PM

430 posts, read 676,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Oh, North Hatley is still pretty English, I've been there, and actually know off hand that it's still more than 50% English since I fleshed out most of the below wikipedia article years ago using Stats-can data. Unfortunately I can't really update it properly because Mr. Harper abolished the mandatory long form census for really dumb reasons

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...er_communities

Indeed, most of the community has consolidated in Montreal, one of its historic bastions, where services and institutions are consolidated and can better support it. Another major centre is the Outaoais, centred on Gatineau in the National Capital Region, but there are bilingual communities dotting both sides of the Ottawa river from the NCR to Montreal. There are of course, as the article above would demonstrate, still lots of English people in smaller towns around Quebec, most noticeably on the North Shore by Labrador, and of course there are still plenty of people in the Eastern Townships, but they're certainly a small minority today, especially in the larger towns and cities like Sherbrooke.

Anyways, if you have any questions about the modern day version of the culture your family came from, just ask me! I was born and raised in the fairly Anglo West Island suburbs of Montreal, attended McGill University, and moved to Vancouver a few years ago to study at UBC, but head back home often, sometimes working in the summers.
Wow, great resource you put on Wikipedia there! Thank you very much, I'll definitely have questions I'm sure as I'm not very well connected at all to that community anymore. As an adolescent, I spent portions of every summer in North Hatley. Now I'm lucky to be there once a decade (and haven't been in the 2010s).

Incidentally, speaking of Labrador, my North Hatley-born mother met my father on a joint Air Force base in Goose Bay, Labrador. Everything seems like a much smaller world in Canada (or at least the eastern portion of it) than in the United States, and I like that.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:12 AM

66 posts, read 109,145 times
All this consistent nonsense about Anglophones in Quebec being the best treated minority around is ridiculous.
Hospitals,Schools and Media outlets are all basic needs of any community, it's kind of laughable as to how those aspects are constantly use to support the whole "best treated minority" thing.

It boggles my mind how absolutely nobody realizes that French-Canadians themselves are the best treated minorities in the western world. They've got their own province,an insular government and regulations on their behalf even in certain places in the ROC where they barely represent a fraction of the population, but of course this would just disrupt the Anti-Canada agenda that they have going on as they would probably just conveniently mistake any past mistreatment from years ago as evidence against this idea.

Anglophones in Quebec will never receive the political support they need and frankly I probably don't even care anymore.Plenty of Quebecois enjoy acting as if Anglophones don't exist in the province yet conveniently acknowledge their existence when defending their insecure culture and making outrageous claims like stating that Montreal will become just like New Orleans if any menial existence of English just happens to come through the cracks in the well-sealed foundation that is Montreal.Any society that allows the health of the economy to be a secondary issue just so they can exaggerate about the enriched culture in their obsession to make themselves seem different deserves to decline.

Last edited by Nationalistdefeator; 09-28-2015 at 03:26 AM..

Old 09-28-2015, 06:16 AM

34,365 posts, read 41,446,089 times
A few examples of life in Quebec if you arent francophone.=

Woman claims she was told to leave hospital and province for requesting English service | CTV Montreal News

Patient's son says he was chastised at Verdun Hospital for quality of French | CTV Montreal News

http://www.cjad.com/cjad-news/2015/0...-speak-english

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/quebec-...lish-1.1007880

Last edited by jambo101; 09-28-2015 at 06:26 AM..

Old 09-28-2015, 08:17 PM

695 posts, read 736,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nationalistdefeator View Post
All this consistent nonsense about Anglophones in Quebec being the best treated minority around is ridiculous.
Hospitals,Schools and Media outlets are all basic needs of any community, it's kind of laughable as to how those aspects are constantly use to support the whole "best treated minority" thing.

It boggles my mind how absolutely nobody realizes that French-Canadians themselves are the best treated minorities in the western world. They've got their own province,an insular government and regulations on their behalf even in certain places in the ROC where they barely represent a fraction of the population, but of course this would just disrupt the Anti-Canada agenda that they have going on as they would probably just conveniently mistake any past mistreatment from years ago as evidence against this idea.

Anglophones in Quebec will never receive the political support they need and frankly I probably don't even care anymore.Plenty of Quebecois enjoy acting as if Anglophones don't exist in the province yet conveniently acknowledge their existence when defending their insecure culture and making outrageous claims like stating that Montreal will become just like New Orleans if any menial existence of English just happens to come through the cracks in the well-sealed foundation that is Montreal.Any society that allows the health of the economy to be a secondary issue just so they can exaggerate about the enriched culture in their obsession to make themselves seem different deserves to decline.
The factual ignorance in this post is utterly astounding. Myopia sure is strong around these parts.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:32 PM

21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times
The main thing that all of this proves is how the anglo media in Quebec have substituted he said-she said for actual reporting in recent years.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:33 PM

21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times
The main thing that all of this proves is how the anglo media in Quebec have substituted he said-she said for actual reporting in recent years.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
The factual ignorance in this post is utterly astounding. Myopia sure is strong around these parts.
Care to explain the "factual ignorance"? I''ve lived in Quebec all my life and I DO NOT hate Quebec just so you know, this is my home after all. I have equal criticisms of Anglo-Quebecers as well, so label me an angryphone or anything you want but these are just my observations.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This kind of thing is what is helping stagnate the community into believing that these are all such large issues and as usual most Anglos eat it up with typical knee-jerk reactions without even realizing the context of any of them.Too much of a victim complex and sense of defeatism and not enough progressive thinking in this community, we should be using the current mild political climate in Quebec to our advantage.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:36 AM

34,365 posts, read 41,446,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Are you claiming these events are untrue and mere fabrications of the English media?
Heres some more examples=

Atwater ticket taker accused of rudeness to English-speakers | CTV Montreal News

Montreal métro worker may face assault charge in language incident

Sign in ticket booth 'insulting,' métro user says
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or