U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 04:47 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What I am saying is that there are millions of everyday human interactions in Montreal. And that it seems like every time someone doesn't speak in English to an anglophone (either because they don't want to or simply can't) someone runs to the media, who buy it hook line and sinker and make a huge stink out of it.

As nationalistdefeator says, in the long run it's extremely damaging to the anglo community to do this as it convinces its youth to leave Quebec, and it convinces everybody else in Quebec that anglos are a bunch of whiners or colonialists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 05:45 AM

34,365 posts, read 41,446,089 times
Sorry AJ but the francophones of Quebec are the biggest group of whiners i've ever run into.
These incidents that i'm linking to are just the tip of the iceberg and represent the general rude/ignorant/Xenophobic attitudes that many francophones exhibit.
As for being damaging to the youth of the Anglo culture? they see and realize what their future holds as an Anglo in Quebec,as a consequence they take their talents elsewhere where French and all its linguistic bs is irrelevant, IMO a win for them and a lose for Quebec.

http://world.time.com/2013/04/08/que...dian-province/

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/shamed-...face-1.2209476

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-co...eaking-english

Last edited by jambo101; 09-29-2015 at 06:43 AM..

Old 09-29-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Sorry AJ but the francophones of Quebec are the biggest group of whiners i've ever run into.
These incidents that i'm linking to are just the tip of the iceberg and represent the general rude/ignorant/Xenophobic attitudes that many francophones exhibit.
As for being damaging to the youth of the Anglo culture? they see and realize what their future holds as an Anglo in Quebec,as a consequence they take their talents elsewhere where French and all its linguistic bs is irrelevant, IMO a win for them and a lose for Quebec.

Quebec’s War on English: Language Politics Intensify in Canadian Province | TIME.com

Quebec fast-food worker shamed, jobless after speaking English at work: 'It was a big slap in the face' | CTV News

No mystery why Quebec grocer would think ban her employees from speaking English | National Post
What can I say?

Old 09-29-2015, 07:03 AM

34,365 posts, read 41,446,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
What can I say?
You could agree with me

Old 09-29-2015, 08:45 AM

2,816 posts, read 5,384,690 times
Privileged groups get really whiny when they get their provileges stripped from them. It's the same kind of people who cry about feminazis and the opression of the male.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
Privileged groups get really whiny when they get their provileges stripped from them. It's the same kind of people who cry about feminazis and the opression of the male.
That's a comparison I've also made before!

Old 09-29-2015, 12:04 PM

18,265 posts, read 10,366,114 times
Quote:
One man's privilege, another's right. Correcting the 'perceived' disparity to flip-flop the two seem the correct way to go about it to you?

Old 09-29-2015, 04:26 PM

191 posts, read 133,175 times
Quote:
What I am saying is that there are millions of everyday human interactions in Montreal. And that it seems like every time someone doesn't speak in English to an anglophone (either because they don't want to or simply can't) someone runs to the media, who buy it hook line and sinker and make a huge stink out of it.

As nationalistdefeator says, in the long run it's extremely damaging to the anglo community to do this as it convinces its youth to leave Quebec, and it convinces everybody else in Quebec that anglos are a bunch of whiners or colonialists.
For every complaint, there are likely more that go unreported. That's just how human nature works. You're right though that the vast majority of interactions have been positive or uneventful. It's just that some of these incidents have been quite shocking, hence the attention. Take the case of the man who's heavily allergic to tomatoes, who got a tomato sandwich thrown at him because he spoke English in the Jewish General Hospital of all places. He actually had to be taken into emergency. Doesn't seem like this kind of thing happens in a 1st world country. Surely not in a place as tolerant as Canada and Quebec. Again, hence the attention.

Why does that seem whiny (or colonist WTF?) to you? I'm a Chinese immigrant. If I were to speak Chinese, I doubt I would ever get called on it in Quebec, or being attacked for that matter. So why would it be ok for it to happen if I were to speak English? Just because it happens rarely does not make such incidents right.

Quote:
What undue privileges are the anglo community protesting about today that other minority groups do not enjoy? This is an honest question.

Last edited by CloudReader; 09-29-2015 at 04:36 PM..

Old 09-29-2015, 08:09 PM

66 posts, read 109,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
One man's privilege, another's right. Correcting the 'perceived' disparity to flip-flop the two seem the correct way to go about it to you?
Exactly, I've never understood the lack of sympathy just for this reason.In my opinion, I think most of the supposed mistreatment of Francophones in Quebec from years past is a bit exaggerated anyways which in turn has created a sense of entitlement within the community as they've sheltered themselves so much because of this that any time they hear another language being spoken, it becomes literally shocking to them.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:16 PM

66 posts, read 109,145 times
Quote:

Although I agree about the running to the media part, what exactly are you implying about there being an impression that Anglophones are "colonialists"? I've rarely ever heard anyone use this word to describe any kind of people. If you mean to imply that Anglophones still have a "colonialist" mentality and haven't moved past those days in terms of thinking, then that just seems a bit irrational to me for anyone to interpret the Anglophone community that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or