U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 08:25 PM

21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nationalistdefeator View Post
Although I agree about the running to the media part, what exactly are you implying about there being an impression that Anglophones are "colonialists"? I've rarely ever heard anyone use this word to describe any kind of people. If you mean to imply that Anglophones still have a "colonialist" mentality and haven't moved past those days in terms of thinking, then that just seems a bit irrational to me for anyone to interpret the Anglophone community that way.
I don't engage in name calling and it's my translation of the term ''colonisateur'' that I have sometimes heard.

How then would you describe people who've lived in a 95% francophone area of Quebec (I am not talking about Westmount or Aylmer here) and who still react rudely when people address them in French?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 05:37 AM

225 posts, read 147,527 times
LOL funny thread.

Forget the fact that Anglo-Quebecers still have a higher average household income than Francophone Quebecers.

... and run most of the big companies over there.

Though, the language laws are weird. The argument about Anglophones in New Brunswick being "oppressed" (yes, that's actually a thing) is more ridiculous. People getting equal rights to those who have previously had power is apparently oppression. You know, women getting rights oppresses men and saying "Black Lives Matter" is anti-white too. LMAO.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:32 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,485,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souriquois View Post
LOL funny thread.

Forget the fact that Anglo-Quebecers still have a higher average household income than Francophone Quebecers.

... and run most of the big companies over there.

Though, the language laws are weird. The argument about Anglophones in New Brunswick being "oppressed" (yes, that's actually a thing) is more ridiculous. People getting equal rights to those who have previously had power is apparently oppression. You know, women getting rights oppresses men and saying "Black Lives Matter" is anti-white too. LMAO.
That's not true, one of those myths that still persist. Anglo-Quebecers have a lower median income than Francophones in today's Quebec and are more likely to live below the poverty line. The stereotype is that everyone is a Westmount elite, the reality is very different.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle14865795/

Old 10-01-2015, 09:33 AM

18,263 posts, read 10,362,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't engage in name calling and it's my translation of the term ''colonisateur'' that I have sometimes heard.

How then would you describe people who've lived in a 95% francophone area of Quebec (I am not talking about Westmount or Aylmer here) and who still react rudely when people address them in French?
The same way I'd describe those who spend their winters in an English speaking country other than Canada who react rudely to someone addressing them in English within their sequestered little enclaves of the type Hollywood Beach used to host .

Your term may be appropriate after all.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:01 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
The same way I'd describe those who spend their winters in an English speaking country other than Canada who react rudely to someone addressing them in English within their sequestered little enclaves of the type Hollywood Beach used to host .

Your term may be appropriate after all.
Anything is possible but this is still extremely rare behaviour on the part of Quebec snowbirds in Florida.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:22 AM

695 posts, read 736,167 times
I find it interesting that Anglos love to highlight minor slights against them in the media as evidence of Quebecois intolerance and yet refuse to acknowledge 200 years of systematic marginalisation of Francophones in Canada by first the British government and later by Canadian society as a whole.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
I find it interesting that Anglos love to highlight minor slights against them in the media as evidence of Quebecois intolerance and yet refuse to acknowledge 200 years of systematic marginalisation of Francophones in Canada by first the British government and later by Canadian society as a whole.
What's more relevant, the society you actually live in, or things that happened before you were born? I also would not say that there is a refusal to acknowledge, it seems to me that it is fairly acknowledged, the conflict is over the implications of that and what is the correct thing to do now.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:36 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
That's not true, one of those myths that still persist. Anglo-Quebecers have a lower median income than Francophones in today's Quebec and are more likely to live below the poverty line. The stereotype is that everyone is a Westmount elite, the reality is very different.

An Anglo elite in Quebec? Not anymore - The Globe and Mail
That should be expected. If you don't speak the local language, shouldn't you expect to be poorer? I am sure all the immigrants in Ontario or BC who don't speak fluent English earn less than native speakers.

Want economic equality? Speak the local language would be the first step.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:44 AM

695 posts, read 736,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
What's more relevant, the society you actually live in, or things that happened before you were born? I also would not say that there is a refusal to acknowledge, it seems to me that it is fairly acknowledged, the conflict is over the implications of that and what is the correct thing to do now.
The things that happened before you were born (which isn't quite true for a sizable % of Quebecois) provide the context for what goes on in the society that you live in. Expecting people to forgive and forget and hold hands and sing koumbaya is silly.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
That should be expected. If you don't speak the local language, shouldn't you expect to be poorer? I am sure all the immigrants in Ontario or BC who don't speak fluent English earn less than native speakers.

Want economic equality? Speak the local language would be the first step.
The definition of Anglo for the purposes of that statistic is not defined by whether or not you speak French, it is only mother tongue. The vast majority of native Quebec Anglophones are bilingual to some degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or