U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 02:55 PM

12,672 posts, read 8,743,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Common sense tells us that the size of the black population may be the reason why it is so uncommon. Chances are these guys who were involved in the beating went through the majority of their lives not having much contact with black people (There are only 100 of them total in that town) so they never had a reason to express their racist tendencies. So if they never got into an altercation with this gentlemen they could have easily waltzed through life pretending to be as "tolerant" as they wanted.

Imagine if you introduced a quarter million black folks into the Vancouver metro like Toronto for example, you dont think that you would start hearing more about police involved shootings, racial profiling or carding, racist comments thrown around speaking about Jamaicans and Somali's criminality? Easy to pretend to be accepting when you are never faced with much of an opportunity to be otherwise.

Conversely this also contributes to the perception that Asians are not as accepted in BC as other Provinces. Once again more opportunity to express those biases, even though on balance I am sure Asian people enjoy a very good standard of life in BC.
Courtenay, where I believe this event happened, has a population of 24,000. 100 people is .41 percent of the population.

Not a huge number I admit. However we don't have all the facts of this story. Were these idiots born and bred in Courtenay or even B.C.

I think there actions are horrible, but their racism would of spilled out eventually, whether it's Toronto or anywhere else.

I for one, grew up in Vancouver at a time when we had much fewer blacks than we do now. My lack of contact did not develop into the racism shown in this story.

There is more going on here than just lack of contact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 03:10 PM

3,458 posts, read 4,005,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Courtenay, where I believe this event happened, has a population of 24,000. 100 people is .41 percent of the population.

Not a huge number I admit. However we don't have all the facts of this story. Were these idiots born and bred in Courtenay or even B.C.

I think there actions are horrible, but their racism would of spilled out eventually, whether it's Toronto or anywhere else.

I for one, grew up in Vancouver at a time when we had much fewer blacks than we do now. My lack of contact did not develop into the racism shown in this story.

The point of what I said was not to show that a lack of exposure instantly develops into full on racist tendencies, but rather that people who have racist tendencies do not have nearly as many opportunities to express them.

I have an uncle and aunt who live in New Westminster. They love the Vancouver area because its a nice city that is a good place to live. At the same time they have expressed how many well intentioned Vancouver residents make racially insensitive comments due to their ignorance when it comes to black people or black cultures. Comments ranging from hair texture, facial features and other culturally insensitive comments that stem from ignorance. So as I said, imagine if Vancouver was flooded with black folks, these people who view people like my Uncle and Aunt as a novelty, may start to resent having so many blacks around once they are exposed to them more often. It happens everywhere, no reason to think BC would be immune to these issues.

It is the reason why many black people gravitate towards places like Toronto. Despite the well documented racial issues (Carding, black police shootings, etc..) you still feel more comfortable being in a city that understands your culture, warts and all.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:24 PM

8,576 posts, read 11,067,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Northern Vancouver Island is more redneck/bubba than anywhere on the Prairies. It's a military/hard working/hard partying/homogenous area. Logging, commercial fishing, and related industries.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:30 PM

21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times
Quote:
At the same time they have expressed how many well intentioned Vancouver residents make racially insensitive comments due to their ignorance when it comes to black people or black cultures. Comments ranging from hair texture, facial features and other culturally insensitive comments that stem from ignorance. .
I often wonder if people are offended by this ignorance if they don't perceive any malicious intent.

I mean, "ignorance" is these days conflated with stupidity, but in actual fact it simply means that you don't know something. An ignorant person isn't necessarily stupid, much less mean.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I often wonder if people are offended by this ignorance if they don't perceive any malicious intent.

I mean, "ignorance" is these days conflated with stupidity, but in actual fact it simply means that you don't know something. An ignorant person isn't necessarily stupid, much less mean.
I think it only gets offensive if its a repeated offense. When someone makes an ignorant statement it should be viewed as an opportunity to educate and most reasonable open minded people would appreciate someone doing that for them.

Then there are those that are told its insensitive and continue to repeat the same things or brush it off as "overreacting". Those are the ones that may have some level of malicious intent or are just too ignorant (or in this case stupid) for their own good.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:01 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,133,432 times
Quote:

It is the reason why many black people gravitate towards places like Toronto. Despite the well documented racial issues (Carding, black police shootings, etc..) you still feel more comfortable being in a city that understands your culture, warts and all.
Regarding the practice of carding, it can't be confused with necessarily having the support of all citizens of a place either. Its institutional racism or as I've pointed out to you, even homophobic by an institution - the TPS.. I think as more Torontonians become aware of this dubious practice and its implications it will become a thing of the past but it would be nice to see a groundswell of public support against it.

Do you think its days are numbered in Toronto?

Last edited by fusion2; 08-10-2015 at 05:53 PM..

Old 08-11-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Regarding the practice of carding, it can't be confused with necessarily having the support of all citizens of a place either. Its institutional racism or as I've pointed out to you, even homophobic by an institution - the TPS.. I think as more Torontonians become aware of this dubious practice and its implications it will become a thing of the past but it would be nice to see a groundswell of public support against it.

Do you think its days are numbered in Toronto?
Oh in no way do I think that the majority of people in Toronto support carding as a practice. The same way I dont believe that most residents of NYC support Stop and Frisk. Unfortunately the people speak and the leaders are slow to follow. So while we are waiting for change, peoples lives are adversely affected.

Do I think its days are numbered? To an extent yes, I think it will go away eventually. But I do not think it will go away as quickly as people would like or expect.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:02 PM

1,746 posts, read 4,632,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I find the results suspicious... What makes Atlantic Canada attractive?

With regarding to "visible minority" (a term I despise), I will still be one in ATL no matter how nicely people treat me. Here living and working in Toronto, I am not even a "visible minority". Definitely don't feel like one by looking around on the streets.

PS: the link doesn't see to work.
I despise it, too! I wished, Canadians stopped using this expression.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:31 PM

21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Start with the Canadian government then!

Old 08-11-2015, 01:37 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
California has banned the use of "alien" to describe immigrants. Gov. Brown doesn't want California to use this word for immigrants - LA Times

SACRAMENTO — Gov. Jerry Brown signed a trio of immigration-related measures Monday, including one removing the word “alien” from California’s labor code because it is seen as a disparaging term for those not born in the United States.

I still remember the first time I had to click the box next to "nonresident alien" in my paperwork felt so strange.

We should really stop using the term "visible minority" - it feels so stupid and backwards, not to say often wrong (yeah, a Chinese is a visible minority in Vancouver).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or