U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 09:21 AM

21,977 posts, read 27,449,782 times

Advertisements

OK, so given the tone of the discussions, I though this poll might be of interest.

http://www.forumresearch.com/forms/N...m_Research.pdf

It's not really about racism, but it does reveal the "issues" that people have with certain groups in society. Media coverage of it referred to racist tendencies.

So looking at this more closely, it would seem that the best place to be a visible minority in Canada, and therefore the (allegedly) least racist is... Atlantic Canada!

Broken down for specific groups:

Best places to be Hindu: Atl and Qc
Best places to be Sikh: Atl
Best places to be Asian: QC and Atl
Best places to be Muslim: Atl and BC
Best place to be Jewish: Atl
Best places to be Black: BC and Qc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 09:32 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,303,443 times
I find the results suspicious... What makes Atlantic Canada attractive?

With regarding to "visible minority" (a term I despise), I will still be one in ATL no matter how nicely people treat me. Here living and working in Toronto, I am not even a "visible minority". Definitely don't feel like one by looking around on the streets.

PS: the link doesn't see to work.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

With regarding to "visible minority" (a term I despise), I will still be one in ATL no matter how nicely people treat me. Here living and working in Toronto, I am not even a "visible minority". Definitely don't feel like one by looking around on the streets.

PS: the link doesn't see to work.
Try the link from post 644 on this page:

Thoughts Regarding Quebec's Charter of Values? - Page 33 - SkyscraperPage Forum

Old 08-10-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:

I suppose the conclusion one could draw is that Atlantic Canadians have fewer immigrants in their midst and so don't generally see them as a "threat".

Not saying that's my view BTW...

Old 08-10-2015, 09:46 AM

Another poll cited in an article.

First one is percentag of people who think immigration has a negative impact on the country.

Second one is percentage who think illegal immigrants should be deported.

Les Québécois et l'immigration: parmi les moins pires ! - L'actualité

Old 08-10-2015, 09:46 AM

34,490 posts, read 41,620,393 times
Your link aint working.
I find it odd that it was the French Acadians that got tossed out of eastern Canada and Quebec almost enacted legislation banning all forms of religious symbolism in its efforts to install its charter of values that would have banned all headwear such as turbans/hijabs/niqabs/Kippahs and all manner of religious jewelry, yet these are considered the most tolerant places in Canada to live?

Old 08-10-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Your link aint working.
I find it odd that it was the French Acadians that got tossed out of eastern Canada and Quebec almost enacted legislation banning all forms of religious symbolism in its efforts to install its charter of values that would have banned all headwear such as turbans/hijabs/niqabs/Kippahs and all manner of religious jewelry, yet these are considered the most tolerant places in Canada to live?
2+2 = 6 in your mind, right?

Old 08-10-2015, 10:46 AM

34,490 posts, read 41,620,393 times
I thought my post 6 was a reasonable observation given the topic and worthy of discussion which i assume was the reason for starting the topic.. your reply was ......

Old 08-10-2015, 11:56 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,303,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Your link aint working.
Quebec didn't ban all the headwear or "all manner of religious jewelry".
If I am not mistaken, they are banned only to public employers in their work place. There is a huge difference between the two. It is like I am not allowed to wear shorts and flipflops to work, doesn't mean I can't wear those out of office hours.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Quebec didn't ban all the headwear or "all manner of religious jewelry".
If I am not mistaken, they are banned only to public employers in their work place. There is a huge difference between the two. It is like I am not allowed to wear shorts and flipflops to work, doesn't mean I can't wear those out of office hours.
It didn't even go that far as the bill was scrapped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or