U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Canada really more racist than the United States?
The USA is more racist than Canada 3 14.29%
Canada is more racist than the USA 12 57.14%
There is no real difference 6 28.57%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 07:11 PM

18,346 posts, read 10,414,903 times

Advertisements

I recently stumbled upon this guy in the Wellington County Museum in Elora, Ontario.

This dude was the real deal.

Richard Pierpoint: A very Canadian hero | Toronto Star

Biography – PIERPOINT, RICHARD – Volume VII (1836-1850) – Dictionary of Canadian Biography

Archived - Harper Government Commemorates Richard Pierpoint for his role in the War of 1812 - Canada News Centre

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Pierpoint
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 05:01 AM

34,463 posts, read 41,580,248 times
Quebec in a move presumably for political correctness ponders removing the N word from various sites around Quebec. On the surface it seems to be a move to be applauded however i wonder what the black community thinks about this aspect of their historical heritage being erased.Are there places in the USA that are still prefaced by the N word?
Quebec considers removing N-word from 11 place names - Ottawa - CBC News

Old 08-16-2015, 10:27 PM

27,683 posts, read 17,707,554 times
I may have to drop into the Canadian forum more regularly. It's a pleasure to read a thread concerning racial issues that doesn't devolve into vicious name calling and bigotry from both sides within the first 5 posts.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:26 PM

60 posts, read 42,838 times
You honestly won't get a real answer unless you've experienced it yourself. As you've seen already answers have varied because of different experiences. To be more specific, it matters upon the region you're talking about as well.

A thing people need to understand is that all countries are, to some extent, racist. Every minority, no matter how peaceful the country is, will experience racial tensions with the majority or other ethnicities. This even happens with the smaller white population in South Africa with the natives.

Certain parts of the US, like Canada, are probably more prone to be racist. In the US, the south (states like Mississipi, Georgia, Tennessee) is more prone to be more racist and violent against minorities than states up North. I like in Memphis, Tennessee, which is almost like Mississipi's cousin in terms of its reputation of racism and violence. On the news you see nothing but violence against blacks. I've only visited Canada but I'd assume it's similar. Outside of tourist areas like Toronto and Vancouver POC are probably more prone to experience racism due to a lack of population, and thus more prejudice is bound to affluent.

I'd personally prefer to live in Canada. Other parts of the US are much better than Memphis but black attitudes here are atrocious. There's an overbearing herd mentality among the blacks in the US that can range from obnoxious to down right vitriolic towards blacks that aren't immersed in their heritage/embrace the "black" attitude. People who don't fit this archetype are ostracized and slapped with labels such as "oreo" and other derogatory terms. And this is just my two cents, but black Americans are the most racist out of any other. The most pungent racism I've seen has come from blacks in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or