U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 07:26 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,137,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
From my Canadian perspective i cant think of a better neighbor than the USA.
I agree - I just don't get the endless need for some to simply dismiss Canada and always connect it to the U.S in every and any possible way. Its a very peculiar thing.. I think the U.S is a fine country and personally, I wouldn't wish to border another country more than it but this immature nonsense dismissing Canada's sovereignty in these forums by pretty much the same players over and over again is just weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 07:59 PM

156 posts, read 147,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I agree - I just don't get the endless need for some to simply dismiss Canada and always connect it to the U.S in every and any possible way. Its a very peculiar thing.. I think the U.S is a fine country and personally, I wouldn't wish to border another country more than it but this immature nonsense dismissing Canada's sovereignty in these forums by pretty much the same players over and over again is just weird.
Why is it immature? No one has dismissed Canada. Of course Canada is sovereign, the question is if it you are acknowledge our existence as a client state. I am in university and one of my classes is formed around the transition of Canada from being the more powerful neighbour by proxy of being part of the British into being a junior satellite state. In becoming a superpower the US has client states just like the Soviet Union had Poland and Romania. Canada has always been either a colony or some form of a client state so I don't see how this is dismissing Canada. Myself, I find us so much better off being an American client state then we were a a British colony forced to take orders from them and sacrifice our people in their imperial adventures. It also explains the need of so many Canadians to express an inferiority complex through means of moralism. For example ---- it is common to hear that we are polite and organized, non-racist ergo the Americans are not these things meanwhile the Americans forget we are here. Believe me, my GF is American and I've seen it all. That's why you have people including some Canadians who say things like Canada isn't a real country.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue1987 View Post
Why is it immature? No one has dismissed Canada. Of course Canada is sovereign, the question is if it you are acknowledge our existence as a client state. I am in university and one of my classes is formed around the transition of Canada from being the more powerful neighbour by proxy of being part of the British into being a junior satellite state. In becoming a superpower the US has client states just like the Soviet Union had Poland and Romania. Canada has always been either a colony or some form of a client state so I don't see how this is dismissing Canada. Myself, I find us so much better off being an American client state then we were a a British colony forced to take orders from them and sacrifice our people in their imperial adventures. It also explains the need of so many Canadians to express an inferiority complex through means of moralism. For example ---- it is common to hear that we are polite and organized, non-racist ergo the Americans are not these things meanwhile the Americans forget we are here. Believe me, my GF is American and I've seen it all. That's why you have people including some Canadians who say things like Canada isn't a real country.
Its not just this thread its the never ending posts in the Canada forums along the same lines of connecting Canada constantly to the U.S.. It becomes rather tiresome and usually its the same thing over and over again - not enough culture, not enough economic independence (in a global economy we're all interconnected economically and rely on one another), Canadians have an inferiority complex, Canada isn't a real country whatever the heck that means ,Canada relies on the U.S for its military - as if dozens of nations are waiting in line to invade Canada...etc.. Its trying to personify 35 million people and the nation into something simpler than meets the eye to satisfy the need to label.

I also think the Canadian electorate has more influence over the leadership of our nation than the United States does. We don't have some sort of dictator appointed by the President of the United States. Our leadership is elected democratically by the people of Canada.. Now is that democratically elected leaders' decisions influenced by the U.S government - yes I do think that is the case but only to a certain degree.. Chretien - like him or lump him proved that back in 03 when he told GWB to take a hike when it came to invading Iraq.

In the defense of the UK - i'd almost consider it to be under the sphere of influence of the U.S in 2015 - independent imperialistic adventures of the UK these days, not so much - pretty much history wouldn't you say? People and nations evolve and change - who would've thought it.

Last edited by fusion2; 08-13-2015 at 08:37 PM..

Old 08-13-2015, 08:47 PM

21,946 posts, read 27,343,960 times
Canada most definitely doesn't always do what the U.S. would like it to do.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:54 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,713,305 times
Culturally yes but not a hundred percent. you still have two completely different governments.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:10 PM

21,946 posts, read 27,343,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Culturally yes but not a hundred percent. you still have two completely different governments.
Even the cultural thing is somewhat debatable. These are very large parts of Canada that definitely feel like a foreign country compared to the U.S., and even in the areas that are labelled as more similar to the States there are still a lot of subtle differences.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Even the cultural thing is somewhat debatable. These are very large parts of Canada that definitely feel like a foreign country compared to the U.S., and even in the areas that are labelled as more similar to the States there are still a lot of subtle differences.
I find more and more as people cord cut they aren't subjected to network TV to the same extent as before.. I look at myself for instance, I haven't had Cable in over 2 years and most of what I watch is online.. You'll find me as much likely to watch a Dutch or Brazilian movie or a BBC documentary as much as an American TV show or movie.. I even watch some Canadian TV shows like Murdoch Mysteries. I can't remember the last time I watched a Hollywood blockbuster at the Theatre.. My taste in music is equally as diverse.

Even food and cultural events where I'm from are usually very international so I just find more and more we are living in a culturally rich society with less and less influence from one dominant culture.

Last edited by fusion2; 08-13-2015 at 09:33 PM..

Old 08-13-2015, 10:08 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,713,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not really, its still really similar culturally for a foreign country. almost everyone i know who has been to Canada will comment on how similar it is to home. but yes i know there are some differences.

idk what regions that definitely feel like a foreign country compared to the U.S, pretty much every city seems to have a setup similar to American cities.

I don't mean to say this in a rude way btw... i view Canada as having an international culture not 100 percent American and i think that is a cool thing.

Last edited by iNviNciBL3; 08-13-2015 at 10:18 PM..

Old 08-13-2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Not really, its still really similar culturally for a foreign country. almost everyone i know who has been to Canada will comment on how similar it is to home. but yes i know there are some differences.

idk what regions that definitely feel like a foreign country compared to the U.S, pretty much every city seems to have a setup similar to American cities.
Is it more that our cities and society is modelled after the U.S or is it that you have for the most part two nations that have had the same dominant language throughout their history linked together by geography and trade. Look at it this way, when we cross the border into the U.S we are going to feel similarly, that this place is more like us than Egypt or Morocco or Spain but it doesn't mean one has absolute influence over the other. I think of it as more shared development over time due to similarities. I would say the U.S has had more influence over Canada simply due to size but I also see it more as us being alike than different.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:41 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,732,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
To be very honest in terms of food and even buying retail you'll be far more likely to find me eating at a local restaurant than an American fast food chain.
Same with millions of Americans. Patronizing American chain restaurants and retail is largely irrelevant to client state status.

Canadian and American homes are chiefly filled with Chinese made goods. We are not client states of China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or