U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-21-2015, 11:04 PM
 
Location: Alberta, Canada
2,179 posts, read 1,757,065 times
Reputation: 2652

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
Yikes! Well, that's a shame. Ontario's the province I'm geographically closest to. But I'd still be happy studying in a different province (except Quebec; I don't speak French). Thanks for the info, although I'll still apply to the University of Toronto because it wouldn't hurt to try.
Outside of Quebec and Ontario, you might wish to look at such schools as University of British Columbia (Vancouver), University of Alberta (Edmonton), and Dalhousie (Halifax, Nova Scotia).

I cannot speak to the prospects in Canada of a Ph.D. in math. Math and I parted ways many years ago, and agreed to stay far away from each other unless absolutely necessary.

Nobody will care if you're Muslim. There are many here already, though they don't tend to hit others over the head with that fact. Some Muslim women wear headscarves, some do not, and nobody bothers them about it. In the workplace, nobody notices (or pretends not to notice) if Muslims slip away quietly to do their daily prayers--it's regarded as not much different from a smoker running outside for a quick smoke. In return, local Muslims don't care if we go for a beer after work--they often join us in the bar, and have a Coke, and join in the conversation. At least, this has been my experience, when I lived and worked in Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-21-2015, 11:04 PM
 
498 posts, read 426,473 times
Reputation: 883
Canada and the US should set up a citizenship exchange program, where wanna be commies can move to Canada and hard working energetic Canadians can escape to freedom.. wanna exchange passports?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2015, 11:31 PM
 
449 posts, read 280,189 times
Reputation: 756
It's definitely comforting to know Muslims are generally accepted there. And thanks for the university suggestions; I'll look into them!

Wally Scone, I'd like to think I'm hard-working and (usually) energetic, and I'd still like to move to Canada. It really seems like a beautiful, peaceful country. Also, agreeing with Canada's principles more than America's doesn't make me lazy or a wannabe commie, and frankly, that comment was neither helpful nor necessary. I'm sorry for being harsh, but I don't like it when people do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2015, 11:50 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,156,879 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post

Nobody will care if you're Muslim. There are many here already, though they don't tend to hit others over the head with that fact. Some Muslim women wear headscarves, some do not, and nobody bothers them about it. In the workplace, nobody notices (or pretends not to notice) if Muslims slip away quietly to do their daily prayers--it's regarded as not much different from a smoker running outside for a quick smoke. In return, local Muslims don't care if we go for a beer after work--they often join us in the bar, and have a Coke, and join in the conversation. At least, this has been my experience, when I lived and worked in Toronto.
Nothing has changed Chevy except for the fact that in Toronto the work force is becoming even more diverse. I've noticed a huge change in only the last decade in my company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2015, 12:27 AM
 
Location: Alberta, Canada
2,179 posts, read 1,757,065 times
Reputation: 2652
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Nothing has changed Chevy except for the fact that in Toronto the work force is becoming even more diverse. I've noticed a huge change in only the last decade in my company.
I've noticed it too, Fusion, on recent visits to Toronto. But it has seemed to me that the diversity is so great, that no one group dominates. As a result, all groups get along.

And they don't necessarily demand that society conform to their cultural demands. I well remember an assistant I had about 25 years ago or so, who was a Pakistani woman, who was Muslim, and whose husband demanded that she be a good Muslim woman, with the headscarf and all. That was not acceptable to her. So, when she arrived at work, off would come the headscarf, and her hair would fall to her waist. She'd fix it in the washroom, with barrettes or hairbands, and be presentable for the workday. None of us cared; her hair was always nicely arranged by western standards, even without a headscarf, and she was presentable to clients.

And at the end of the day, back on would go the headscarf, and she would go home to Proper Muslim Husband, who was none the wiser.

There is more to this story, but I won't tell it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2015, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,156,879 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I've noticed it too, Fusion, on recent visits to Toronto. But it has seemed to me that the diversity is so great, that no one group dominates. As a result, all groups get along.

And they don't necessarily demand that society conform to their cultural demands. I well remember an assistant I had about 25 years ago or so, who was a Pakistani woman, who was Muslim, and whose husband demanded that she be a good Muslim woman, with the headscarf and all. That was not acceptable to her. So, when she arrived at work, off would come the headscarf, and her hair would fall to her waist. She'd fix it in the washroom, with barrettes or hairbands, and be presentable for the workday. None of us cared; her hair was always nicely arranged by western standards, even without a headscarf, and she was presentable to clients.

And at the end of the day, back on would go the headscarf, and she would go home to Proper Muslim Husband, who was none the wiser.

There is more to this story, but I won't tell it here.
Interesting story Chevy.

My company is pretty progressive.. We even have a diversity committee made up of management and staff who meet regularly to discuss issues. Part of that is to actually distribute job posting to various outreach groups of representative communities..

By 2036, 67 percent of the Greater Toronto Area will not be white but its not just racial diversity, that is only part of it, there is a lot of ethnic and cultural diversity as well. It is essential that companies embrace the reality of the greater community at large. I work with people from across the world and have no issues with it one bit.. Its just such a non issue at least where I work. I'm also seeing examples of upward mobility from across the spectrum as well and this is just as important as having diverse representation, but just on the lower levels.

Anyway apologies to the OP for going off on a tangent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2015, 10:44 AM
 
18,327 posts, read 10,398,747 times
Reputation: 13391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Sconce View Post
Canada and the US should set up a citizenship exchange program, where wanna be commies can move to Canada and hard working energetic Canadians can escape to freedom.. wanna exchange passports?
WallSconce's are noted for having low wattage bulbs and providing very restricted indirect lighting but why would you intentionally limit yourself to offerings displaying only those "low" markers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2015, 07:02 PM
 
5 posts, read 4,919 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
"I ... prefer what seem to be Canada's values (community-oriented, higher taxes/welfare to help the needy, liberal, peace) more and more. And I feel like the U.S. is a bit of a bully to the rest of the world; I don't want my future tax money to contribute to such a militaristic nation."

This is how many U.S. Citizens feel; many more than you think. We stay in the U.S. to make it a better place. We sometimes succeed; often enough to make the attempt damn worthwhile.

I can't answer your math/PhD question. But there seems to be an idea floating around that moving to Canada is as easy and carefree as moving to Kalamazoo. Not true and never true. Not since before the draft could you step over the imaginary dotted line and say "here I am!"

Please put all your good, youthful energy into voting every election without fail, and working in your community to make living here worthwhile for yourself and your neighbors. That's where it all starts. Nothing against Canada; but their citizens have already done much of the work that we have yet to do.
Hello, please tell me/everyone interested about what it entails to move to Canada.Would I need a visa?. Is rent/food/about the same as in America?.The reason I'm asking is because at my age the next move I make will probably be my last. At least as far as a state or country. I'm 52 and have wanted to move to Canada for a very long time. Thank you in advance for any help you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2015, 07:19 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ☀️ ♥ 🍁 ♥ ☀️
7,281 posts, read 6,604,283 times
Reputation: 14325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan_3 View Post
Hello, please tell me/everyone interested about what it entails to move to Canada.Would I need a visa?. Is rent/food/about the same as in America?.The reason I'm asking is because at my age the next move I make will probably be my last. At least as far as a state or country. I'm 52 and have wanted to move to Canada for a very long time. Thank you in advance for any help you can give.
You can check out this link to see if you have the required qualifications to emigrate to Canada.

Do you want to come to Canada, or extend your stay?

I hate to tell you this but there's a possibility you won't qualify because of your age.

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2015, 08:33 AM
 
449 posts, read 280,189 times
Reputation: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan_3 View Post
Hello, please tell me/everyone interested about what it entails to move to Canada.Would I need a visa?. Is rent/food/about the same as in America?.The reason I'm asking is because at my age the next move I make will probably be my last. At least as far as a state or country. I'm 52 and have wanted to move to Canada for a very long time. Thank you in advance for any help you can give.
I'm afraid your age will probably be a problem. As for rent/food, I've heard it's more expensive (at least in big cities). And taxes are higher, so you need to keep that in mind. You do not need a visa to visit (just make sure you bring your passport), but you do need to apply to immigrate if you want to move.

Immigrate to Canada
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top