U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 11:44 AM

12,581 posts, read 11,130,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
They have some scattered throughout New England as well. They used to have 30 Massachusetts locations but they all closed. Thank goodness because we already have a sh*t coffee place named Dunkin Donuts if you want watered down coffee no need to add anymore.
I'd sure as heck take Tim Horton's over DD's anyday.. I grabbed a DK med coffee in Owego NY a few weeks ago enroute back to T.O and not only was it more expensive (even within the U.S), but noticeably weaker and bland than TH's and this isn't my first bad experience with that chain. With that said, TH's has had decent success in some U.S markets.. DK would never fly up here at all.

One thing for sure - I will never be convinced by Starbucks - not ever.. I got a gift card two years ago and have only used half of it and i'm an avid coffee drinker.. The best coffee though, is smaller coffee houses or simply home brewed.. If I didn't work, i'd simply make my own coffee all day everyday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 11:46 AM

19,523 posts, read 20,892,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
The OP doesn't seem to realize that Tim Horton's exists and does a pretty brisk business in the U.S., just not in his part of the U.S. it's not any sort of secret. There are locations in New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and I believe Michigan and West Virginia too.
Damn. Next you'll be telling me I can get maple syrup down here, too.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:32 PM

3,458 posts, read 4,004,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I'd sure as heck take Tim Horton's over DD's anyday.. I grabbed a DK med coffee in Owego NY a few weeks ago enroute back to T.O and not only was it more expensive (even within the U.S), but noticeably weaker and bland than TH's and this isn't my first bad experience with that chain. With that said, TH's has had decent success in some U.S markets.. DK would never fly up here at all.

One thing for sure - I will never be convinced by Starbucks - not ever.. I got a gift card two years ago and have only used half of it and i'm an avid coffee drinker.. The best coffee though, is smaller coffee houses or simply home brewed.. If I didn't work, i'd simply make my own coffee all day everyday!
Hey buddy, if you expect me to get involved in the whole Tims vs DD vs Starbucks argument you are in for a big surprise. If it was my choice I would exterminate all three off the face of the planet.

Thankfully I have 8 locally owned cafe's within a 1 mile walking radius of my house and a ninth about to open next month. So I'm never forced to lower my standards.

I do make my evening cup at home as well. I'm rotating between a Guatemalan Roast from Barismo, Black Cat espresso from Intelligentsia and a Jamaican High Blue Mountain coffee I got from my last visit. No Tims or Dunks for me.

To keep this Canadian, I really enjoy picking up anything roasted by Phil and Sebastian's in Calgary whenever one of my local coffee places are stocking it and on every visit to Toronto I make at least a couple trips to The Good Neighbor Espresso bar in the Junction, as we stay in High Park whenever we visit.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:06 PM

12,672 posts, read 8,740,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Hey buddy, if you expect me to get involved in the whole Tims vs DD vs Starbucks argument you are in for a big surprise. If it was my choice I would exterminate all three off the face of the planet.

Thankfully I have 8 locally owned cafe's within a 1 mile walking radius of my house and a ninth about to open next month. So I'm never forced to lower my standards.

I do make my evening cup at home as well. I'm rotating between a Guatemalan Roast from Barismo, Black Cat espresso from Intelligentsia and a Jamaican High Blue Mountain coffee I got from my last visit. No Tims or Dunks for me.

To keep this Canadian, I really enjoy picking up anything roasted by Phil and Sebastian's in Calgary whenever one of my local coffee places are stocking it and on every visit to Toronto I make at least a couple trips to The Good Neighbor Espresso bar in the Junction, as we stay in High Park whenever we visit.
LOL...we agree on something. No offence Fusion2, but I think you know how I feel about Timmy's.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:28 PM

3,458 posts, read 4,004,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
LOL...we agree on something. No offence Fusion2, but I think you know how I feel about Timmy's.
Yeah maybe we should stick to talking about coffee rather than healthcare and race, we'd get along fine

Old 08-22-2015, 03:43 PM

18,265 posts, read 10,362,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
You're limiting yourself BruSan. Coffee and alcohol are old friends.
Aaaah, God! Now that takes me back to Gibby's in Montreal late 70's & throughout the 80's to after business dinners and those coffees of various recipe for desert along with the occasional Crème Brulee, if moderation was not on the menue.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:42 PM

873 posts, read 813,931 times
I can't say Tim Hortons is "good coffee" but it's just unique. It's hard to explain. I don't drink it because it's cheap. I don't drink it because it's good coffee either. There's just something unique about it that I like.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:55 PM

11,265 posts, read 13,150,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
I can't say Tim Hortons is "good coffee" but it's just unique. It's hard to explain. I don't drink it because it's cheap. I don't drink it because it's good coffee either. There's just something unique about it that I like.
Pretty sure they put crystal meth in it.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:57 AM

12,581 posts, read 11,130,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
I agree, as far as big chain coffee goes Tim's is the best.. I don't care what Nat or Ed say

Seriously though GM - dunno if you had DD's but that is the most bland, least unique coffee in history.. I'm shocked its as big as it is there. I don't like Starbucks but at least it homes some flavour.. I only got 1 cream in my DD med coffee - just one and it that is practically all I could taste.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:39 PM

14 posts, read 14,698 times
My problem with Tim Hortons:

"Black coffee, regular, please."

"Milk or cream?"

But then I have a problem with this North American habit of scripted lines that take focus away from what the customer actually says.

And some of the choices go too far. Is that sugar sprinkled or spooned?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada