U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 10:47 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,151,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
True, of course.

For comparison purposes, I assumed, it's the same item, lol
You definitely have to compare the exact same product - particularly with wine because prices vary heavily depending on the bottle you buy.. to give an another example of the lunacy of all encompassing cross border comparisons - I bought a large bag (not snack bag I mean pig out large bag) no name brand all dressed chips today for 99 cents at Shoppers Drug Mart.. If I said that to an American they'd look at me like I had 10 heads as in wtf are no name chips and wtf is Shoppers drug mart.. Now if I said I bought a large bag of Doritos for 2.99 at Walmart they'd probably say you got ripped off... Btw No Name All Dressed chips smoke ALL U.S brands of no seasoning or very lightly seasoned "All Dressed" chips quite handily Americans have no idea how goooooood Canadian all dressed chips are.... Same thing with a 2 liter carton of 99cent Selection Iced Tea you get at Food Basics - they don't know what they're missing lol.

Generally though, I will definitely attest to the fact that general prices for goods are cheaper in the U.S - particularly alcohol, gas and cigarettes. With that said, there are probably other areas in life where its cheaper in Canada so i'm not sure over the course of one's life the difference is all that great.

Paid Mat/Pat leave for a full year for a couple (one can use the full year or they can divide between the two) in Canada is a huuuge plus imo for a young family.. Plus dollar for dollar we pay less for H.C and Education so its tough to say with certainty that the overall COL is extraordinarily different.

Last edited by fusion2; 09-02-2015 at 10:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 08:11 AM

1,746 posts, read 4,636,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
You definitely have to compare the exact same product - particularly with wine because prices vary heavily depending on the bottle you buy.. to give an another example of the lunacy of all encompassing cross border comparisons - I bought a large bag (not snack bag I mean pig out large bag) no name brand all dressed chips today for 99 cents at Shoppers Drug Mart.. If I said that to an American they'd look at me like I had 10 heads as in wtf are no name chips and wtf is Shoppers drug mart.. Now if I said I bought a large bag of Doritos for 2.99 at Walmart they'd probably say you got ripped off... Btw No Name All Dressed chips smoke ALL U.S brands of no seasoning or very lightly seasoned "All Dressed" chips quite handily Americans have no idea how goooooood Canadian all dressed chips are.... Same thing with a 2 liter carton of 99cent Selection Iced Tea you get at Food Basics - they don't know what they're missing lol.

Generally though, I will definitely attest to the fact that general prices for goods are cheaper in the U.S - particularly alcohol, gas and cigarettes. With that said, there are probably other areas in life where its cheaper in Canada so i'm not sure over the course of one's life the difference is all that great.

Paid Mat/Pat leave for a full year for a couple (one can use the full year or they can divide between the two) in Canada is a huuuge plus imo for a young family.. Plus dollar for dollar we pay less for H.C and Education so its tough to say with certainty that the overall COL is extraordinarily different.
Health care and education definitely beat cigarettes and alcohol for most people, I'd think. Of course, it you are into rock'n'roll, it may be the other way around.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:48 PM

625 posts, read 1,188,862 times
Quote:
I wanted to keep things simple, for comparison purposes. This is why I assumed the same salary in both countries.
Got it! Then all you need to do is add 25% to your U.S. salary to get the same salary in Canadian dollars (assuming a purchasing power parity of .80 US to $1 CAD).

Old 09-04-2015, 12:54 AM

1,691 posts, read 1,658,032 times
Quote:

All dressed chips taste like ass so you can have them. What I really miss from Canada, product wise, is the PC brand. Loblaws should honestly spin it off and get it into the U.S. - it's a great line, top to bottom.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:50 AM

1,746 posts, read 4,636,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post
Got it! Then all you need to do is add 25% to your U.S. salary to get the same salary in Canadian dollars (assuming a purchasing power parity of .80 US to $1 CAD).
I don't think so.

Let's move on.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:01 PM

12,696 posts, read 8,769,158 times
Quote:
Health care and education definitely beat cigarettes and alcohol for most people, I'd think. Of course, it you are into rock'n'roll, it may be the other way around.
Good point.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:56 PM

3,458 posts, read 4,012,365 times
Quote:
Plus dollar for dollar we pay less for H.C and Education so its tough to say with certainty that the overall COL is extraordinarily different.
Quote:
Are you guys able to provide a study that breaks down exactly how much Canadians pay for HC when factoring in taxes? And then another study that compares those expenses to what the average American pays for HC? I personally have never been able to find one, so possibly you have.

And just to pre-empt the usual response, HC expenditures as a percentage of GDP are not directly linked to how much individuals spend on HC. There are many different factors that play in the calculation of that figure, including R&D expenditures which your average citizen does not directly contribute to.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:32 PM

625 posts, read 1,188,862 times
Quote:
I don't think so.

Let's move on.
I don't mean to be a stickler but an economist would say you have to look at purchasing power parity otherwise you're comapring apples and oranges. (Ok maybe apples and pears in this case).

And I do have to stand corrected - a more recent study (cited in the Globe and Mail on Feb 3, 2014) put PPP at .85-.86 US to $1 CAD.

When for example I lived in Japan, I earned millions of yen, yet would never compare my modest lifestyle to that of a Canadian millionaire.

Last edited by docwatson; 09-04-2015 at 10:32 PM..

Old 09-04-2015, 10:08 PM

5,880 posts, read 2,385,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Are you guys able to provide a study that breaks down exactly how much Canadians pay for HC when factoring in taxes? And then another study that compares those expenses to what the average American pays for HC? I personally have never been able to find one, so possibly you have.

And just to pre-empt the usual response, HC expenditures as a percentage of GDP are not directly linked to how much individuals spend on HC. There are many different factors that play in the calculation of that figure, including R&D expenditures which your average citizen does not directly contribute to.
It's really really difficult to specify any idividual..since it;s a :Universal HC system..Not a free market one..But generally everyone pays and those that can't still get coverage..those that work in whatever industry pays a portion as does ALL Companies...So it's so different than :For Profit Corporate HC Insurance company's who happened to have been handcuffed to short-out certain clients..bilk them for premiums that would NEVER ever HAVE TO PAY!! Thus Profit from day1//Yet raked in those premiums and produced huge profits and citizens never got HC... IF yu ever thought Insurance Companies CARED..GIVE IT UP!! Because Profits is what they were and still are all about...Universal HC..Public Corporations are taken out of equations..and have NO SAY..ala..Governement allows certain things and disallows others..so basically at the mercy ..THAT is the difference!!

So no..No body could ever post the difference..however..I did live prior to Universal HC..and back then I paid 1600 + 1400 annually deducted from paycheque with NO workplace adds..tho did have alternate extended HC like Blue cross for Eye glasses or prescriptions etc....NOW It's 100% coverage for all Citizens when seeking HC from where-veers..and things like perceptions separate/eyeglasses/ physiotherapy etc..ALL extra..and just like Medicare..Once one reaches OLD Age benefit levels..options to apply for them is there....LOL Maybe because those who worked hard and paid their way actually DESERVE that right to having some sort of benefit....

Long and short...Wether it's a paid ahead premium by workers who should expect repayments, ( welfare NOPE!!) this notion of welfare is taught by certain folks who disbelieve government programs and have been fed this rhetoric from the knees of anarchist types!!

Universal HC is a Good thing..Called basically Shared Care..Not Welfare basically because no one ever knows when catastrophe will ever hit..when 20 or 30 or 50 or 60..NO One knows..But during the lifetime..Knowing you will never lose your home..get turned out your rental house or apartment or lose your car ( any assets) because collection/ re-possession..Horror stories++

As a Canadian..I am not rich..but are able to pay my way..taxes etc..tho hate the latest increase taxes 13% on regular services/purchases!!..Still..I know..I will never have to worry about losing my house/assets due to a catastrophic illness..which has been so since I can remember!!
From the sounds of it that isn't necessarily so for my American Buds south of the border :-(

Old 09-05-2015, 06:32 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,275,769 times
Lyndarn.

I agree with you......

The leading cause of personal bankruptcy in the USA is...........Medical bills.

Jim B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or