Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 03:44 PM

29,879 posts, read 18,712,220 times

Advertisements

Yeah sounds like a great time for Americans to take a trip north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 03:45 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,338,621 times
I can honestly say that yes, I've changed my travel plans, directly due to the exchange rate. My next road trip will be to Toronto. Maybe out to Vancouver in a year or so for a bigger trip, but I won't be in a hurry to leave Canada with the current exchange rate. It's nasty at the moment. So thank goodness we live in a large country, with breath-taking scenery to enjoy.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:00 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,377,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Chit-holes - Bru this is the first post of yours ever that makes me go

I LOVED Mexico City - my kind of Chit hole lol..
Mexico City notwithstanding; we spent a couple of winter vacays in and around Puerto Vallarta, Cozumel and Los Cabos Baja Our experience twice with P/V left us with no taste for return while we might have gone back to Cozumel or Los Cabos had we not simply moved on in our travel habits.

This event would have influenced us greatly had we not already written Mexico off as a preferred destination. The gentleman mentioned in this article is the son of a local Funeral director acquaintance who owns a couple of parlours in Fergus and Elora. He has since told us his son now remembers stepping outside to purchase a silver set of ear pendants for his wife from a vendor beside the restaurant. All of the people in the area of the restaurant must have seen the incident but clammed up when questioned by the policia. No thanks.

Ontario man 'won't go back' after Mexico attack - Toronto - CBC News

Old 09-01-2015, 07:45 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,737,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Mexico City notwithstanding; we spent a couple of winter vacays in and around Puerto Vallarta, Cozumel and Los Cabos Baja Our experience twice with P/V left us with no taste for return while we might have gone back to Cozumel or Los Cabos had we not simply moved on in our travel habits.

This event would have influenced us greatly had we not already written Mexico off as a preferred destination. The gentleman mentioned in this article is the son of a local Funeral director acquaintance who owns a couple of parlours in Fergus and Elora. He has since told us his son now remembers stepping outside to purchase a silver set of ear pendants for his wife from a vendor beside the restaurant. All of the people in the area of the restaurant must have seen the incident but clammed up when questioned by the policia. No thanks.

Ontario man 'won't go back' after Mexico attack - Toronto - CBC News
Well hard to deny that there are some alarming incidents that occur in various parts of Mexico... With that said Bru, its not unknown to happen in other countries including the U.S.. I remember a few months ago a tourist from Toronto was robbed and than murdered after he left the Kentucky Derby.. It was a random attack.

The experience can be a mixed bag in Mexico I suppose.. I would definitely apply caution going to parts of the country with known issues of drug violence which admittedly are quite a few places. Mexico City itself was pretty safe and has largely not been impacted by drug cartels. Hopefully it stays that way!

Old 09-01-2015, 07:51 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,068,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
there are so many interesting countries in the world. Why keep going to the US? Personally there is little there that attract me any more.
The euro and the pound are even more expensive than the USD.

Last edited by Botev1912; 09-01-2015 at 08:02 PM..

Old 09-02-2015, 07:43 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,643,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
The euro and the pound are even more expensive than the USD.
Exchange rate itself doesn't matter. What matters is actual cost in CAD. The Euro fell as much as CAD in the past year or so, while GBP gained significantly. JPY is cheap, doesn't mean Japan is 1/100 the cost of Canada.

While I agree the UK is very expensive, much of the Euro zone is more affordable than the USA.
The good thing with Europe is, the more interesting countries tend to be cheaper.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yeah sounds like a great time for Americans to take a trip north.
Americans hardly have much a reason to take a trip north. There is very little they don't have (not replaceable) in their own country, in terms of both cities and landscape. Maybe part of Quebec is new to them.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:01 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,377,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well hard to deny that there are some alarming incidents that occur in various parts of Mexico... With that said Bru, its not unknown to happen in other countries including the U.S.. I remember a few months ago a tourist from Toronto was robbed and than murdered after he left the Kentucky Derby.. It was a random attack.

The experience can be a mixed bag in Mexico I suppose.. I would definitely apply caution going to parts of the country with known issues of drug violence which admittedly are quite a few places. Mexico City itself was pretty safe and has largely not been impacted by drug cartels. Hopefully it stays that way!
Yeppers; fully agree.

The way unrest is bubbling up south of us on a daily basis over shootings of, and by cops; I can only take some relief that these incidents and resultant furour usually recede during the winter months . Protestors hate wearing anything more weather resistant than the requisite black hoodie. It cramps their looting style and fleet-of-foot escape if they have to wear a full parka.

Muggings are also extremely rare happenstances on golf courses!

Old 09-02-2015, 09:06 AM

9,764 posts, read 15,709,960 times
Living in North Carolina, I don't pay much attention to exchange rates between Canada and the US. We had planned to take a trip up to Canada this past summer because we were going to be in nearby (relatively) Boston. I actually didn't find out the exchange rate until a couple of weeks before we left when I was booking hotels online. It was a pleasant surprise. With Canada's high sales tax rate (about 15%, I believe), the exchange rate made the normally high cost of Canada more palatable. My family had such a great time in Canada (hence why I am even reading this board!) that we have contemplated going back again next summer. The favorable exchange rate for Americans is definitely an extra incentive.

Botticelli, while the cities and landscapes in Canada might not be that much different than in the US, the country still offers a lot to Americans. For me, it was a relatively cheap and easy opportunity to expose my children to another country - to see signs in another language, to discuss the metric system, to use different money and discuss exchange rates, and to talk about why we needed passports at the US/Can border. Americans are often blamed for being ethnocentric. Going to Canada was a first step to show my kids that there is a world beyond our country's borders. And in addition to all that, we really enjoyed the scenery, the activities, and the people in Canada. We look forward to returning soon.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
. For me, it was a relatively cheap and easy opportunity to expose my children to another country - to see signs in another language, to discuss the metric system, to use different money and discuss exchange rates, and to talk about why we needed passports at the US/Can border. Americans are often blamed for being ethnocentric. Going to Canada was a first step to show my kids that there is a world beyond our country's borders.
that sounds reasonable.

Don't forget telling your children that besides the US, only two other countries (Myanmar and Liberia) that haven't adopted the metric system. Additionally, Canadians don't live in igloos and it doesn't snow in July in Toronto or Montreal

Canada is still too similar to the US to be a truly cultural and educational experience IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada