U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-02-2015, 04:44 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,144,050 times
Reputation: 3738

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
As much as the data suggests, LA sets a pretty low bar for city comparison... so having a "higher suburban density than LA" is like saying a 4th grader is more educated than a 3rd grader...
The question was which city in Canada is similar to Los Angeles.. I was discussing in my view what I thought made Toronto more similar to it than other cities in Canada (sprawl to a degree and suburban/exurban density) - not well there is no sense talking about it because BK doesn't see the need to based on his own unknown and perhaps arbitrary requirements of what should and shouldn't be compared..

If you actually read my posts instead of just looking to make kneejerk snarky replies you would have read that I said suburban density and to a degree sprawl are the extent to the similarities as I saw them.. Should I have said nothing or have kept the discussion confined to whatever criteria you feel the need comparable - like there is no sense comparing any cities that don't have 350 platinum palaces.

Last edited by fusion2; 09-02-2015 at 05:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-02-2015, 08:00 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,268,124 times
Reputation: 7586
I think LA is a great place for those who know how to take advantage of what it offers and accept its flaws. It is not a traditional city with 4% dense core and 96% utterly boring suburbs. You can have a highly urban and interesting life in many pockets of the city, which makes it rather unique. It is as different from NYC oR TORONTO as from Houston or Atlanta. Those who think it is just mindless sprawl simply don't know it well enough.

Someone has shown it before that cities like Boston always give people the impression of dense, compact and almost European like when in fact its post war suburbs (that's the majority of the metro area) are even worse than that of Atlanta.

LA is agressively expanding the transit system and downtown is experiencing Americas biggest urban transformation. I am very optimistic about this city and believe it has the most potential among all. Instead of bickering and being so scared of the Olympics, its city council passed the vote to bid for it 15:0. That's how big minded cities do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2015, 08:30 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,800 posts, read 17,721,222 times
Reputation: 9029
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
We get these questions a lot in the Canada forums.. Which or what Canadian this or that is like American this or that.. Than, when we start discussing it in good faith it becomes a - all you guys do is talk about and think about the U.S, you have an inferiority complex and you are a copycat culture

Oh yeah and why do you guys say aboot - what's wrong with you.
At least wait until someone here actually says something along those lines before you start throwing those stones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2015, 08:34 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,144,050 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
At least wait until someone here actually says something along those lines before you start throwing those stones.
What - I can't believe you actually said that.. You are in the Canada forums all the time... You've never seen anyone hurl an accusation in here that Canadians have an inferiority complex and is a 'copycat' culture.. Am I reading this correctly..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2015, 08:55 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,800 posts, read 17,721,222 times
Reputation: 9029
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
What - I can't believe you actually said that.. You are in the Canada forums all the time... You've never seen anyone hurl an accusation in here that Canadians have an inferiority complex and is a 'copycat' culture.. Am I reading this correctly..
Yes but i am talking about this thread specifically, looking at the 6 post before yours no one said anything about an inferiority complex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2015, 08:59 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,144,050 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Yes but i am talking about this thread specifically, looking at the 6 post before yours no one said anything about an inferiority complex.
why are you riding me for this?.. Are you the thread police.. I thought it was ironic that yet another thread was made from someone not a Canadian trying to draw a comparison between something Canadian with something U.S - you yourself have poked fun about us always comparing ourselves to you guys - so I called it out really in a light manner that for all that talk - often we don't bring it up others do and we just go along with the discussion yet ironically get called out as having an inferiority complex and always thinking about the U.S. Now you're giving me a hard time for bringing it up in this thread zzzzzzzzzzz..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2015, 09:07 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,800 posts, read 17,721,222 times
Reputation: 9029
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
why are you riding me for this?.. Are you the thread police.. I thought it was ironic that yet another post was made from someone not a Canadian trying to draw a comparison between something Canadian with something U.S - you yourself have poked fun about us always comparing ourselves to you guys - so I called it out really in a light manner that for all that talk - often we don't bring it up others do and we just go along with the discussion yet ironically get called out as having an inferiority complex and always thinking about the U.S. Now you're giving me a hard time for bringing it up in this thread zzzzzzzzzzz..
I was actually just giving you friendly "fighting" advice we both like to defend our countries from stereotypes and over generalizations so i figure we can work together every now and than.

the op's location is not listed, no one said anything about an inferiority complex, plus we make city comparisons on this thread all the time. so i think this thread was made with good intentions.

I've never remember saying the words "Canadians always compare themselves to Americans" i only remember recently grilling certain posters (not nationalities) for going on and on about the USA in a thread about Quebec separation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2015, 09:12 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,144,050 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I was actually just giving you friendly "fighting" advice we both like to defend our countries from stereotypes and over generalizations so i figure we can work together every now and than.

the op's location is not listed, no one said anything about an inferiority complex, plus we make city comparisons on this thread all the time. so i think this thread was made with good intentions.

I've never remember saying the words "Canadians always compare themselves to Americans" i only remember recently grilling certain posters (not nationalities) for going on and on about the USA in a thread about Quebec separation.
Actually I do think this is one of the few threads that did have good intentions.. I was really just poking fun at things.. I wasn't trying to derail the thread and actually got into the subject matter... You gotta admit though - the other thread with a title about most Canadians not having cell phones - I mean c'mon and that is an 'innocent' observation - let's not be nave here lol...

If you've only made one reference to us talking about the U.S than I apologize - i'm sure there's more though - but i'll give you the benefit of the doubt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2015, 09:28 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,144,050 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I think LA is a great place for those who know how to take advantage of what it offers and accept its flaws. It is not a traditional city with 4% dense core and 96% utterly boring suburbs. You can have a highly urban and interesting life in many pockets of the city, which makes it rather unique. It is as different from NYC oR TORONTO as from Houston or Atlanta. Those who think it is just mindless sprawl simply don't know it well enough.

Someone has shown it before that cities like Boston always give people the impression of dense, compact and almost European like when in fact its post war suburbs (that's the majority of the metro area) are even worse than that of Atlanta.

LA is agressively expanding the transit system and downtown is experiencing Americas biggest urban transformation. I am very optimistic about this city and believe it has the most potential among all. Instead of bickering and being so scared of the Olympics, its city council passed the vote to bid for it 15:0. That's how big minded cities do.
If L.A does end up winning the 2024 Olympics all the best to em!! We shall see if they will be happy with that decision or wished they did what Boston did (a city that is nothing to snicker at in terms of worldliness or GDP) so if they are worried about financing a Summer Olympics perhaps Toronto's apprehension isn't that unwarranted.

I think the biggest question mark from Toronto City Councillors and the budget committee is how will this be paid for and can we afford it. It isn't just a matter of - That is how 'big' minded cities do.. With that said, L.A is still a substantially larger urban area than Toronto with a larger economy - perhaps there are some deep pockets willing to finance.. My concern with 2024 may be just the rush and it being a kneejerk reaction after Pan Am in Toronto's case.. I think we should look at the 2030's - by then Toronto will be a megacity, have improved transit and a larger GDP and even more International clout.. It would probably be a more 'epic' games for the city than a rushed 2024...

Last edited by fusion2; 09-02-2015 at 09:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2015, 07:19 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,268,124 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
If L.A does end up winning the 2024 Olympics all the best to em!! We shall see if they will be happy with that decision or wished they did what Boston did (a city that is nothing to snicker at in terms of worldliness or GDP) so if they are worried about financing a Summer Olympics perhaps Toronto's apprehension isn't that unwarranted.

I think the biggest question mark from Toronto City Councillors and the budget committee is how will this be paid for and can we afford it. It isn't just a matter of - That is how 'big' minded cities do.. With that said, L.A is still a substantially larger urban area than Toronto with a larger economy - perhaps there are some deep pockets willing to finance.. My concern with 2024 may be just the rush and it being a kneejerk reaction after Pan Am in Toronto's case.. I think we should look at the 2030's - by then Toronto will be a megacity, have improved transit and a larger GDP and even more International clout.. It would probably be a more 'epic' games for the city than a rushed 2024...
Cost is indeed a concern but the fact the Los Angeles voted for it unanimously shows their confidence in managing it, something we don't seem to have now. As to economic size, both Barcelona and Sydney appear to be of comparable size to Toronto. And both games were successful without financial disaster. yet people choose to focus on Montreal and Athens (which don't really have a good track record of managing their finances). Also I don't see how 2024 is "rushed". It is 10 years away, or 7 years from 2017, when the decision is made. But when a LRT line is taking 10 years to finish, and a 200 meter tunnel taking 3, I am not surprised it felts short. We really can do so little in so much time after all.

But in all honesty, I am not so looking forward to the Olympic Games. I don't see it bring too much economic benefit to Toronto. What bothers me is the prevalent mentality that "we don't ever want it; it is vanity; it costs too much, money should be spent on fixed roads and school" kind of small mindedness. For decades Toronto suffered from this "we don't want any grandeur" small mindedness, and it doesn't seem to be extinct any time soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top