U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 04:33 PM

449 posts, read 280,189 times

Advertisements

That's really interesting; thanks for sharing! What really confuses me is that some people are voting for the Greens and the Bloc Quebecois, even though it doesn't seem like either of those parties stand much of a chance of winning. Would it not be a better idea for them to just go with their second choice for now and then try again next time, rather than risk having their least favorite party elected?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 06:57 PM

12,703 posts, read 8,775,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
That's really interesting; thanks for sharing! What really confuses me is that some people are voting for the Greens and the Bloc Quebecois, even though it doesn't seem like either of those parties stand much of a chance of winning. Would it not be a better idea for them to just go with their second choice for now and then try again next time, rather than risk having their least favorite party elected?
Only people in Quebec can vote for the Bloc Quebecois, and you will always get their devoted members to vote for them. They currently have 2 seats in the House of Commons.

The Green party currently has 3 seats in the House of Commons.

Both parties know that they will not form the government, or even the opposition, but their voices are heard.
Elizabeth May of the Green Party ( born in the USA by the way ) is greatly admired by many people who vote for the other parties. She is force and considering they only have 3 seats, their message is heard nationally and fairly loudly.

People in the past probably voted more in lines of what party they believe in..but in Canada there isn't the same loyalty that seem to exist in the US. We will turn on say the Liberals and go vote NDP or vice versa if we think it's the best thing to do.

What is going to be very interesting in this election is if people who are more " loyal " to a party and never would of switched easily in the past, will do so this time, since they are ready to settle for anything other than another Conservative government.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:20 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,056,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
I've heard only negative things about Harper, so to those of you who support him, I was wondering, what is your reasoning for that? I'm not being judgemental; I'm just curious. I've heard plenty of people talk about why they DON'T support the conservatives (I happen to be very liberal myself), but I'd like to hear the other side of the story as well. Thank you in advance! And I'm really sorry for any misunderstandings caused by my own ignorance; I'm an American who has only recently started paying attention to Canadian politics.
Bear in mind: we don't directly elect a PM. We vote for a local MP, who belongs to a party. The party elects their leader. If the party forms the government following a national election, then that party's leader becomes the PM. So it's quite possible to support a party's overall platform, regardless of who the current party leader may be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or