U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 07:28 AM

449 posts, read 279,054 times

Advertisements

I've heard only negative things about Harper, so to those of you who support him, I was wondering, what is your reasoning for that? I'm not being judgemental; I'm just curious. I've heard plenty of people talk about why they DON'T support the conservatives (I happen to be very liberal myself), but I'd like to hear the other side of the story as well. Thank you in advance! And I'm really sorry for any misunderstandings caused by my own ignorance; I'm an American who has only recently started paying attention to Canadian politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 07:33 AM

368 posts, read 300,533 times
I am slightly right-of-centre wherein I am fiscally conservative, but socially liberal. That said, my support for Harper is not as strong at it was in previous elections. I simply view the government as tired and past it's best before date. But, in the end I'll probably hold my nose and still vote for him because (i) our local MP is good and (ii) I don't really feel like the other candidates and parties match my political views.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:34 AM

1,757 posts, read 1,943,424 times
...and while you're answering Halcyon18's question, tell us what ever happened to Ed Broadbent. He seemed cool.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:35 AM

368 posts, read 300,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
...and while you're answering Halcyon18's question, tell us what ever happened to Ed Broadbent. He seemed cool.
Ed Broadbent was the leader of the left-of-centre NDP in the 1980's and led them to some of their better election results. He resigned as leader after the 1988 election and the NDP never really recovered until 2011.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:48 AM

1,757 posts, read 1,943,424 times
Ah! Thanks, willg.

Now back to the original question. (Sorry for the derailment)

Old 09-11-2015, 07:52 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,326,583 times
Regarding Ed Broadbent, he was very popular as a leader and person (more popular than his party) and if I recall the NDP under him actually led the polls in Canada at one point in the 1980s in a period between elections. They were in the 40s percentage-wise, which in Canada puts you in majority government territory.

This NDP surge largely dissipated before the next election though.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:07 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
Listening to the media is not an accurate way to find public opinion. For some weird reason, all the media hates the right wing parties and everyone takes pride in being "liberal".

I am not a big fan of Harper, nor do I think other candidates are better. I might still vote conservative because 1) they are more business friendly (not that I have a business) and don't always use large companies to vent some sort of anger 2) they tend to provide a low tax environment.

What I hate about some parties/candidates is that they
1) always criticize big companies as if they are the source of all the evil. Spend on this and that, where the money come from, tax the big companies, since they seem to be rich! Sorry, if you are poor, it is your own fault, don't blame the CEOs.

2) have too many "programs". The seniors/retirees are poor - let's give them more money! The single parents are struggling, - let's give them more money! Raising kids is expensive, - let's give them more money! Voting buying is gross and candidates should be forbidden to do that. But they don't care because it is not their own money.

3) they encourage bigger governments/public sector. Why don't we have enough money to build this and that? The public sector costs too much.

4) I oppose anyone who supports to unions. It is disgusting to see for example Ontario teachers strike for "MORE" when they already enjoy generous wage, benefit and vacations.

And I am tired of people who say "we don't like how things are, so let's change the government and see how it goes". The fact Stephen Harper didn't do a great job doesn't mean the other two parties become a reasonable choice - they could be worse and one has to see what they propose and whether it is reasonable/realistic to decide whether they are indeed a good alternative. Changing for the sake of change just because you don't like status quo is retarded.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:45 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,176,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Listening to the media is not an accurate way to find public opinion. For some weird reason, all the media hates the right wing parties and everyone takes pride in being "liberal".

I am not a big fan of Harper, nor do I think other candidates are better. I might still vote conservative because 1) they are more business friendly (not that I have a business) and don't always use large companies to vent some sort of anger 2) they tend to provide a low tax environment.

What I hate about some parties/candidates is that they
1) always criticize big companies as if they are the source of all the evil. Spend on this and that, where the money come from, tax the big companies, since they seem to be rich! Sorry, if you are poor, it is your own fault, don't blame the CEOs.

2) have too many "programs". The seniors/retirees are poor - let's give them more money! The single parents are struggling, - let's give them more money! Raising kids is expensive, - let's give them more money! Voting buying is gross and candidates should be forbidden to do that. But they don't care because it is not their own money.

3) they encourage bigger governments/public sector. Why don't we have enough money to build this and that? The public sector costs too much.

4) I oppose anyone who supports to unions. It is disgusting to see for example Ontario teachers strike for "MORE" when they already enjoy generous wage, benefit and vacations.

And I am tired of people who say "we don't like how things are, so let's change the government and see how it goes". The fact Stephen Harper didn't do a great job doesn't mean the other two parties become a reasonable choice - they could be worse and one has to see what they propose and whether it is reasonable/realistic to decide whether they are indeed a good alternative. Changing for the sake of change just because you don't like status quo is retarded.
Lol. Botti, I think you just dislike all people in general. In the ideal world, we should assign an MP just for you and you only, to only represent your world views and your interests and no one else's.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:07 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
On the other hand, it is utter stupidity like this that makes me hesitate to vote for harper

Harper marks 9/11 with new funding to counter terrorism | Toronto Star

Old 09-11-2015, 09:24 AM

1,218 posts, read 2,114,166 times
I'm personally having a hard time with this election. I really don't feel passionate about any candidate. I was hoping Justin would evolve from a wishy-washy state into something I could rally behind but he hasn't, nor am I impressed with his track record. I like Mulcair as a person but have fundamental differences with the NDP philosophy that I cannot yet digest. And I'm definitely not a Harper fan - I don't think he's done a great job with the economy in terms of deficit and strategic growth plans, don't like his environmental agenda, don't like his foreign policy, don't like the corruption under his watch, don't like his sneaky legislative ways, don't like his dealings with aboriginals, and don't like his manipulative use of the media. To tie back to the OP, I do like some of his tax reductions, focus on expanding trade, infrastructure development, and he has been decent in terms of social policy. I think he garners support because he brands himself as a stalwart. A stable and responsible figure who keeps on course and he doesn't do anything too radical regarding social programs nor does he open up anything to the public that is too big/controversial. Assuming you can prove or at least persuade voters that you can manage the economy, peace and order is very appealing to Canadian voters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or