U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2015, 08:28 AM

18,265 posts, read 10,368,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Maybe in your world they are important.

The word English food is an oxymoron. It may hurt your feelings, but Anglo-Saxon food is completely insignificant and almost negligible in this world we live in. It is actually hard to understand how such a powerful empire offered so little heritage in terms of food. The same seems to apply to countries like Germany and the Scandinavia, the entire Germanic world.
The post was intended as satirical and humorous but......it 747'd did it?

Your scathing assessment of food creativity disparity between most of Europe, all of North America and the rest of Ramen Noodle-land notwithstanding; why on earth would you choose to get all huffy and confrontational over chosen food preferences in any case?

Many areas of the planet evolved recipe-wise due to the proliferation of available food stuffs and the ease with which they could be reproduced.

NOT all areas of the planet had the same tendency or requirement to spice foods to disguise their degree of decay or quell and control the burgeoning feline/canine population.

There...was that last bit condescending enough to keep you fed and entertained for awhile?

Old 09-17-2015, 08:28 AM

4,699 posts, read 8,488,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
If Canadians want for their country to remain overwhelmingly white, then so be it. It is their country and they should have the country they want and not the country non-Canadians want. They are the one's that will be living in Canada, not me and not most non-Canadian people.

In other countries there may be different demographic priorities and I think that's fine too.

Most Americans want the USA to become mostly non-white? So be it.

Most Saudis want Saudi Arabia to remain overwhelmingly Saudi, Arab, and Muslim? So be it.

Most Japanese want Japan to remain Japanese up to their eyeballs? So be it.

Most Saint Lucians wouldn't like if Saint Lucia was to become overwhelmingly non-black? Then keep Saint Lucia overwhelmingly black.

In Zimbabwe they made the decision to eliminate all the white people from there, Zimbabwe is suppose to be a strictly black man's country. While I don't agree with the violent way they went about expelling the whites, I do respect their right to decide the type of country they want for themselves. Its their country, not mine. They live there, I don't. It affects them more than it will ever affect me. Its their happiness and peace of mind that's a stake, not mine. Zimbabwe can disappear from the face of the earth and my life will continue as if nothing happened, because to me Zimbabwe is nothing; but for Zimbabweans it's their world. Something happens to Zimbabwe and Zimbabweans will be the ones to truly feel the pain. Everybody else will continue with their lives as if nothing happened.

So on and so forth. Other than the USA, I don't plan to live in any of the countries I already mentioned and not in the other 99% of countries I didn't mention. I will worry only about the countries I actually care about, better yet about the specific regions of those countries where I feel comfortable in. Everywhere else is other people's problems. lol
I actually don't agree with this, that democracy should always be absolute, especially when it's about a majority discriminating against and oppressing a minority. "Tyranny of the Majority" is a concept, and governments, appealing to our better natures, enshrine values in things like Bills of Rights and Constitutions all over the world to keep us from being able to vote immorally and oppress a minority simply because it's in our own interests. Doing so is a form of oppression.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:37 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,258,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Agreed.

It's also such a waste to just use an entire chunk of meat for a single serving of protein. And for sure people eat much less fish than what would be ideal, probably a lot of that is from fear of mercury content.
It is not from fear of mercury but rather the fact that people don't know how to deal with bones. I can't understand it ... it is not a "white people" thing (the French, the Portuguese eat fish all the time), but more of a America/Canada thing - God forbids our food to contain any fish bones!

Canadians eat fish like meat: fish filet (usually frozen, not fresh) without knowing what the fish actually looks like, while the rest of the world eats whole fresh fish.

In New Orleans, one famous dish is the crawfish, cooked in several possible ways. But that's Louisiana.

If a nation doesn't know how to eat fish, I can't say they know good food. however I am sure they will continue consuming grilled big chunks of beef and chicken breast and largely dismiss everything else. Every time I go to a Canadian barbecue, I was bored to death because it is always about burgers with beef patties, hotdogs, sausages. -- basically large chunks of meat. These are fine, but can't we have some varieties? Are we in 389 BC? And every time there is a business lunch, you will see servers bringing carts piled of all sorts of sandwiches as if it is the only food in the world.

Last edited by botticelli; 09-17-2015 at 08:46 AM..

Old 09-17-2015, 09:08 AM

21,939 posts, read 27,338,144 times
Quote:

In New Orleans, one famous dish is the crawfish, cooked in several possible ways. But that's Louisiana.
Crawfish isn't really a bona fide fish to me, anyway. It's a crustacean (shell fish).

Old 09-17-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
It is not from fear of mercury but rather the fact that people don't know how to deal with bones. I can't understand it ... it is not a "white people" thing (the French, the Portuguese eat fish all the time), but more of a America/Canada thing - God forbids our food to contain any fish bones!

Interesting you should mention that. I think it's a historical Catholicism thing. As up to the 1960s, Roman Catholics weren't supposed to eat meat on Fridays, so most people ate fish. You're still not supposed to eat fish on Good Friday before Easter if you are Catholic.

So places like France, Portugal, etc. and also Quebec in Canada may have fish as a bigger part of their food culture as a result.

We eat fish in my family a few times a week. I looked up the stats and per household fish consumption in Quebec is way higher than in the rest of the country. Even higher than Atlantic Canada.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I actually don't agree with this, that democracy should always be absolute, especially when it's about a majority discriminating against and oppressing a minority. "Tyranny of the Majority" is a concept, and governments, appealing to our better natures, enshrine values in things like Bills of Rights and Constitutions all over the world to keep us from being able to vote immorally and oppress a minority simply because it's in our own interests. Doing so is a form of oppression.
Yeah, I was going to post something similar. I do agree that a country has an absolute right to decide who it admits or not (and how many people it admits). But if it is to be considered civilized it has a duty to properly treat all of the people who are already on its territory at the moment. Especially if they are citizens.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:28 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,258,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Interesting you should mention that. I think it's a historical Catholicism thing. As up to the 1960s, Roman Catholics weren't supposed to eat meat on Fridays, so most people ate fish. You're still not supposed to eat fish on Good Friday before Easter if you are Catholic.

So places like France, Portugal, etc. and also Quebec in Canada may have fish as a bigger part of their food culture as a result.

We eat fish in my family a few times a week. I looked up the stats and per household fish consumption in Quebec is way higher than in the rest of the country. Even higher than Atlantic Canada.
Interesting to know.
What I want to say is this "all big meat" kind of diet is not only very backward and coarse, but also unhealthy.

Quote:
Crawfish isn't really a bona fide fish to me, anyway. It's a crustacean (shell fish).
yes, I know crawfish is not really fish (they don't even look like fish). I was trying to explain the fact that the existence of shell didn't prevent the people from consuming it.

Another example is crab. Canadians don't seem to eat it at all, except when the meat is taken out and processed (and put it in a sandwich?) I normally eat the whole crab - the easiest way is to steam it. And yes, I bought it home while it is alive (no one will buy a dead crab home).

Old 09-17-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Interesting to know.
What I want to say is this "all big meat" kind of diet is not only very backward and coarse, but also unhealthy.
There was a report on Radio-Canada this week about how meat consumption in Canada is steadily declining. The two main reasons given were a) changing tastes towards healthier food choices and b) immigration from countries where people eat less meat.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:02 AM

3,458 posts, read 4,006,335 times
Quote:

That is surprising to me. I would have thought Atlantic Canada would have the highest (along with BC) because of what is available locally there from the sea. Very interesting but as you said, its cultural.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
That is surprising to me. I would have thought Atlantic Canada would have the highest (along with BC) because of what is available locally there from the sea. Very interesting but as you said, its cultural.
Here are the figures for 2013 in dollars. From Stats Canada

BC 179
AB 182
SK 140
MB 109
ON 207
QC 247
NB 163
NS 148
PE 152
NL 159
Canada 201
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada