U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2015, 12:38 PM

21,937 posts, read 27,326,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
The stats show dollars spent, not product consumed.

I would hypothesize that the cost of seafood is significantly lower where there's a sea to get it from. Instead of say, Alberta or Saskatchewan.
Yes, it is dollars spent. Local prices factor into it, but that's not the whole story. Quebec has a decent amount of salt water coastline in the east, so it's a safe bet it's number one (or very close) regardless.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:39 PM

3,458 posts, read 4,004,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
You may argue so, but the truth is, you definitely will find a large live fish section in every Chinese grocery store (such as the well-known T&T) as well plenty of fish dishes in every Chinese restaurant (especially the Cantonese restaurants without fish they can't exist).

I safely conclude that the lack of fish in Toronto stores/restaurants is due to the lack of demand, not supply. Fish or not, Anglo-Canadians still walk straight to the beef section.
Oh the driver is absolutely cultural and where there is a cultural demand supply and increased quality follows. So if the demand is not there, then the quality will suffer, which is a big reason why people dont start eating much fish in the first place.

As I mentioned though, the mainstream options are most likely better in other cities around the country. Its similar to the US, the mainstream grocery stores in places like New England and the PNW are going to have much better fish selections than those in the midwest. For obvious reasons.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:45 PM

3,458 posts, read 4,004,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yes, it is dollars spent. Local prices factor into it, but that's not the whole story. Quebec has a decent amount of salt water coastline in the east, so it's a safe bet it's number one (or very close) regardless.
Yes, that Salt water coastline and St. Lawrence access has always been a major reason why restaurants and markets in Montreal and Quebec City have had excellent Seafood/Fish selections.

Still was surprising to see Quebec at number 1, by a pretty large margin as well. Learn something new everyday.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
LOL. You would have to either be on social assistance or possess a sub-par IQ to think Canadian healthcare is "free" by any extent of the imagination. Do these people never consider why supplemental health insurance is a much-coveted employee benefit in this country?

As for "no more Tim Hortons"... Seriously??? Most Canadians I know prefer coffee with actual flavour rather than the overhyped dishwater they serve daily at Timmy Ho's.
Are you sure you aren't mistaking your personal entourage for wider society?

Could you be fined for going to Timmie's?

Old 09-17-2015, 12:59 PM

2,986 posts, read 3,318,926 times
Quote:
Are you sure you aren't mistaking your personal entourage for wider society?
Nope. Working in Toronto's Financial District I can safely say that Starbucks outsells Timmy Ho's by at least a (very conservative) 4-1 margin. Hell, Starbucks stores outnumber Timmy Ho's by at least a 10-1 margin in Toronto's downtown, and every one I walk by on my way to the office has a lineup at all hours of the day.

We have our Tim Hortons die-hards in the office, but most people prefer Starbucks, Second Cup or one of the many independent coffee shops in the area. YMMV.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Nope. Working in Toronto's Financial District I can safely say that Starbucks outsells Timmy Ho's by at least a (very conservative) 4-1 margin. Hell, Starbucks stores outnumber Timmy Ho's by at least a 10-1 margin in Toronto's downtown, and every one I walk by on my way to the office has a lineup at all hours of the day.

We have our Tim Hortons die-hards in the office, but most people prefer Starbucks, Second Cup or one of the many independent coffee shops in the area. YMMV.
So you're actually suggesting that Tim Hortons isn't Canada's most popular coffee chain? Really?

Is this one of those ''We Canadians are above such plebean tastes'' types of posts?

Old 09-17-2015, 01:06 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
Quote:

If Tim Horton's can be widely popular outside Canada, then I will give it credit. Right now, it is nothing but the cheap price and the fake national pride that is supporting it.

I don't deny it is a successful brand in Canada, although little known internationally (yeah a few branches in Ohio, big deal), but it is not some sort of national symbol or in any way represent "Canadianness".

Old 09-17-2015, 01:15 PM

2,986 posts, read 3,318,926 times
Quote:
So you're actually suggesting that Tim Hortons isn't Canada's most popular coffee chain? Really?

Is this one of those ''We Canadians are above such plebean tastes'' types of posts?
Uhhhh no. Just pointing out the facts of working in Canada's largest city. I'm not sure why you are trying to argue them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
If Tim Horton's can be widely popular outside Canada, then I will give it credit. Right now, it is nothing but the cheap price and the fake national pride that is supporting it.

I don't deny it is a successful brand in Canada, although little known internationally (yeah a few branches in Ohio, big deal), but it is not some sort of national symbol or in any way represent "Canadianness".
I saw a couple of franchises while in Manhattan, but it is nowhere near as popular in NYC as Starbucks is.

As for being "unique" or "representing Candianness"... All I can say is I am hardly a gambling man, but I'd be willing to bet large that the average die-hard Timmy Ho's fan would be hard-pressed to tell the difference between Timmy Ho's, Country Style or Dunkin' Donuts. All those watery, inoffensive brews taste pretty much identical to me.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Uhhhh no. Just pointing out the facts of working in Canada's largest city. I'm not sure why you are trying to argue them.
I'd bet Tim Hortons still outsells every other chain in Canada's largest city.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:18 PM

BTW I don't like Tim Hortons. Or coffee at all for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada