U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2015, 02:21 PM

2,986 posts, read 3,318,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
If it was named after Bret Hart and the logo had a maple leaf on it, It might even be more popular.
Not as much had they named it "Gretzky's"!

Old 09-17-2015, 02:28 PM

21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post

Either that, or you just love to troll forums because you have a bug in your ass for Anglo Canada. I'm guessing it is a mix of the two, myself.
Tim Hortons is really popular in Quebec too BTW. It wasn't always the case but the fever has spread here as well.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:43 PM

2,107 posts, read 640,766 times
Multiculturalism is not always a good thing. It only really works when there is a powerful central culture that new immigrants can emerge into. A society of separate ethnic and religious subgroups will eventually fall apart and the outcome will be mass violence, chaos and social collapse.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:15 PM

12,672 posts, read 8,740,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yes, it is dollars spent. Local prices factor into it, but that's not the whole story. Quebec has a decent amount of salt water coastline in the east, so it's a safe bet it's number one (or very close) regardless.
I'm having a hard time believing Quebeckers eat more fish than people in Atlantic Canada or coastal B.C.
Going by just dollars spent is probably not the best way to judge how much fish people are eating.
Out my front door here in Vancouver , people fish and eat it for free. Every restaurant in Vancouver usually has fish on the menu, and many people go down to the docks in Steveston and buy right from the fishers for really good prices.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
You may argue so, but the truth is, you definitely will find a large live fish section in every Chinese grocery store (such as the well-known T&T) as well plenty of fish dishes in every Chinese restaurant (especially the Cantonese restaurants without fish they can't exist).

I safely conclude that the lack of fish in Toronto stores/restaurants is due to the lack of demand, not supply. Fish or not, Anglo-Canadians still walk straight to the beef section.
You're painting all anglo Canadians with the same brush. Surely you know, since your mother lives in the area, that it's not just Asian restaurants in Vancouver that serve fish. It's everywhere here.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Multiculturalism is not always a good thing. It only really works when there is a powerful central culture that new immigrants can emerge into. A society of separate ethnic and religious subgroups will eventually fall apart and the outcome will be mass violence, chaos and social collapse.
Totally depends on the country. The immigrant experience in France is totally different than the immigrant experience in Canada...and France does have a very strong central culture. So there's a lot more going on than just that.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Clotted? With or without Strawberry preserves?

Eons ago I got dressed in my number one's and took a date to High Tea at the Empress Hotel in Victoria. She was mightily impressed.

Fast forward to 2003 and a visit west with friends and I talked them into partaking. What a colossal disappointment that was! Gone was the quiet reserved setting with people dressed semi-formal. The new High Tea involves tour buses all disgorging throngs of folks wearing shorts and flip-flops, seated, served, here's the bill, now on yer bike!

Gone are the dainty little cucumber sannies and silver service with tiered serving trays full of pastries.

Cripes; what a rip-off they're actually selling people that's even a facsimile of a genuine High Tea.
I've never gone..too touristy and over priced.
I decided to go check The Empress Hotel's page about their tea. They do state

Dress code is casually elegant. Please no torn and / or ripped jeans, short shorts, cut off pants, beach wear, flip flops or baseball caps.

If they enforce it, I'm not sure. Money speaks volumes.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:36 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,007,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'm having a hard time believing Quebeckers eat more fish than people in Atlantic Canada or coastal B.C.
Going by just dollars spent is probably not the best way to judge how much fish people are eating.
Out my front door here in Vancouver , people fish and eat it for free. Every restaurant in Vancouver usually has fish on the menu, and many people go down to the docks in Steveston and buy right from the fishers for really good prices.
Yes, if the figures were for dollars spent on seafood(total? average? not sure...), it's not going to neccesarily going to be higher among the coastal areas since seafood can be cheaper and more available in those areas. Salmon can be a relative bargain in BC and as you said yourself, people are more likely to just go fishing themselves. I've lived in Montreal for a few years and grew up in Vancouver, and I don't remember any feeling that people in Quebec ate more seafood or it was more available--actually I'd say Vancouver and Victoria have a lot more seafood restaurants and feature it on menus more more.

Old 09-17-2015, 05:16 PM

18,263 posts, read 10,362,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Just what the heck do you mean by coming into this thread and interrupting the Coffee dissertation to post a topic relevant viewpoint? Eh?

Old 09-17-2015, 05:26 PM

18,263 posts, read 10,362,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I've never gone..too touristy and over priced.
I decided to go check The Empress Hotel's page about their tea. They do state

Dress code is casually elegant. Please no torn and / or ripped jeans, short shorts, cut off pants, beach wear, flip flops or baseball caps.

If they enforce it, I'm not sure. Money speaks volumes.
At that time they were not about to turn away three of those huge tour buses full of tourists all dressed less than "casually elegant". Perhaps since the mid-nineties they've had time to experience negative turn out by the visiting "casually elegant".

Did you notice in their website a clicky for "comments" or "contact us"? I recall sending them a snarky email upon return home to tell them just what I thought about their travesty of a high tea with the admonishment the word would soon get around that it was now merely an over expensive tourist sideshow to be avoided altogether.

The last time we were on the island in 2005 we never went near the place either.

Perhaps they got the result I predicted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada