U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-18-2015, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,961 posts, read 27,390,495 times
Reputation: 8613

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Normally I disagree with everything you say, but this is, from my experience, pretty correct.

Sudbury is loaded with crammed Tim Hortons, but Sudbury is also shy of change or anything new or slightly sophisticated. It's probably the same all over non-metro areas. It's certainly it is the case in Northern Ontario.

When I make trips to Toronto, I hardly see Tim Hortons (especially in the inner city) and they are obviously way outnumbered by Starbucks and probably even Second Cups, not to mention all the independent places.

Filtered coffee is cheap anywhere you get it. Why would you go to Tim Hortons even if you couldn't differentiate between brews? To save 40 cents? The atmosphere is weird and unattractive and reminds me of a retirement home, whereas any other cafe knows it needs to be attractive for people to want to stick around.
It may be that Torontonians are less enamoured with Tim Hortons than other Canadians are, but they have scores of locations all over the city. Somebody is frequenting them. Must all be people in town from Timmins and Wawa.

 
Old 09-18-2015, 08:20 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,961 posts, read 27,390,495 times
Reputation: 8613
OK guys, regarding fish...

Here goes... the reason Quebecers spend more on fish and seafood is because we eat more fancy-schmanzy, high quality stuff. We have a finer palate, what can I say...

Happy now, people?
 
Old 09-18-2015, 09:23 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,281,099 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
OK guys, regarding fish...

Here goes... the reason Quebecers spend more on fish and seafood is because we eat more fancy-schmanzy, high quality stuff. We have a finer palate, what can I say...

Happy now, people?
I thought that's common sense. French food is world known, what the hell is English/Irish food?

Look at Europe, it is France, Spain, Portugal, Italy that offer great food, while UK, Germany, Ireland, Netherlands, Norway, Austria etc. provide close to nothing and local food scene is pathetic as if they have given up life. As a tourist, the difference is striking.

Besides fish, another great measure of food sophistication is whether the people eat animal offal. If most people don't accept that (they just eat the meat), you can't expect the food scene to be great because the cooking is still primitive not unlike 2000 years ago.
 
Old 09-18-2015, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Jamestown, NY
7,841 posts, read 7,341,108 times
Reputation: 13779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy999 View Post
Actually massive immigration decimated the white populations in Toronto suburbs like Scarborough, Mississauga in less than 25 years. They went from white working class communities to west-Asian and Arab communities. Go to square one shopping centre and you tell me how many "white people" you see?

I'm sorry but this is a problem. I am not a "racist" but a realist. I have nothing against the people, it's just the fact that white Canada and "canadianess" is going to die out.

Don't forget about hongcou--- whoops I mean *vancouver" too and it's surrounding areas.
^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy999 View Post
why are you all so comfortable with Canada becoming a predominately foreign nation? Are you aware of that would do to your standard of living?
Well, don't move south of the border in your attempt to escape all those "un-Canadian" Canadians! We've currently got more bigots, racists, and xenophobes here in the US than we need -- and that's just among the cretins wanting to be the Republican presidential candidate in 2016!
 
Old 09-18-2015, 10:14 AM
 
1,376 posts, read 1,009,593 times
Reputation: 1453
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Look at Europe, it is France, Spain, Portugal, Italy that offer great food, while UK, Germany, Ireland, Netherlands, Norway, Austria etc. provide close to nothing and local food scene is pathetic as if they have given up life. As a tourist, the difference is striking.
I ate great in the UK, Germany, and Austria--especially Austria and southern Germany which has a strong local cuisine as it is. The food isn't limited though to just the more traditional regional cuisine since there's plenty of immigrants in those areas just like Canada or the US that have brought their own cuisine or it's been adapted--and more modern styles as well. I love Italian food, but honestly after two weeks in central and southern Italy I'd say there's more variety eating in the UK.

And no, I don't think it matters that much whether you're eating more traditional local food or more recently brought over international food somewhere--as long as it's good. But honestly I ate great in English pubs last year--venison meat pies, fish and chips, oysters, curry dishes, and so on...

Quote:
Besides fish, another great measure of food sophistication is whether the people eat animal offal. If most people don't accept that (they just eat the meat), you can't expect the food scene to be great because the cooking is still primitive not unlike 2000 years ago.
Not sure what you're getting at here, but Western and Northern Europeans traditionally eat plenty of dishes with animal offal and they eat plenty with fish also.

Last edited by CanuckInPortland; 09-18-2015 at 11:15 AM..
 
Old 09-18-2015, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,703 posts, read 8,775,044 times
Reputation: 7314
Quote:
Originally Posted by acajack View Post
ok guys, regarding fish...

Here goes... The reason quebecers spend more on fish and seafood is because we eat more fancy-schmanzy, high quality stuff. We have a finer palate, what can i say...

Happy now, people?
lol
 
Old 09-18-2015, 11:55 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,281,099 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post

Not sure what you're getting at here, but Western and Northern Europeans traditionally eat plenty of dishes with animal offal and they eat plenty with fish also.
I never meant to say western Europe has bad cuisine. It is the English speaking countries that do. Canadians make his weird face when I told them I ate pork tongue, chicken liver and cow stomach as if I am an alien when it is themselves who are incredibly primitive. I mean, they bought a $2000 shining oven and all the expensive gadgets yet end up baking nothing but large pieces of beef, turkey and chicken breast 95% of the time? Why need a kitchen in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
I ate great in the UK, Germany, and Austria--especially Austria and southern Germany which has a strong local cuisine as it is. The food isn't limited though to just the more traditional regional cuisine since there's plenty of immigrants in those areas just like Canada or the US that have brought their own cuisine or it's been adapted--and more modern styles as well. I love Italian food, but honestly after two weeks in central and southern Italy I'd say there's more variety eating in the UK.

And no, I don't think it matters that much whether you're eating more traditional local food or more recently brought over international food somewhere--as long as it's good. But honestly I ate great in English pubs last year--venison meat pies, fish and chips, oysters, curry dishes, and so on...
Of course we are talking about regional cuisine here.
Germany and Austria?

German: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_German_dishes

I don't think anyone can say with a straight face "this country has a rich food culture, look at how delicious that food is".

Austria has the famous fried pork chops which is usually insipid.

We are talking about British food, not food from India or Italy or China. The fact that the British consider fish and chips a "dish" is embarrassing enough. Since when fried potato and a piece of deep fried tasteless fish qualify as a presentable dish in restaurants? I don't think the UK is even able to have a menu of more than 10 items with nothing but local food - and we are talking about a country with thousands of years of history and culture.

Maybe speaking a Germanic language has something to do with it.
 
Old 09-18-2015, 12:42 PM
 
1,376 posts, read 1,009,593 times
Reputation: 1453
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Of course we are talking about regional cuisine here.
Germany and Austria?

German: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_German_dishes

I don't think anyone can say with a straight face "this country has a rich food culture, look at how delicious that food is".
Sure you can, it's delicious and that link just proves it. It's good hearty food, perfect for winter or for eating with a nice German beer. Great desserts too.

Quote:
Austria has the famous fried pork chops which is usually insipid.
You know nothing about Austrian food apparently if you think they're famous for "fried pork chops".(Wienerschintzel is made with veal cutlets) Great game dishes, stews, soups, dumplings, great wines...I enjoyed it.

Quote:
We are talking about British food, not food from India or Italy or China. The fact that the British consider fish and chips a "dish" is embarrassing enough. Since when fried potato and a piece of deep fried tasteless fish qualify as a presentable dish in restaurants? I don't think the UK is even able to have a menu of more than 10 items with nothing but local food - and we are talking about a country with thousands of years of history and culture.
A lot of of cultures eat fried fish, it originally came from Sephardic Jews--fried potatoes comes from France and Belgium. British cuisine has a bad reputation but has been rediscovered by younger chefs in the UK who are sort of reinventing it. It's not as broad as regional French or Italian cooking, but they've got great cheeses, beers, good seafood, and so on.

The real difference is that traditionally British or German or Scandinavian food uses a different mix of herbs and spices than Southern European or Mediterranean food(or much different than Latin American or Asian food). So you have parsley, thyme, chives, dill, nutmeg, mustard, or juniper berries used more often instead of dishes with oregano, cumin, basil, cilantro or coriander, tumeric and so on--and you have less garlic and don't have dishes with chilies or spicy flavours. So the cuisines of Northern Europe get perceived as blander though some people like me still enjoy them.

Local food is always changing though... There's not such thing as purely authentic cuisine since food styles are being adapted and bringing new ingredients and influences constantly as migration and trade occurs. Indian food has influenced British dishes since the 1800s. Currywurst is considered a German dish though it's a fusion of two styles that goes back to the 1950s.

Quote:
Maybe speaking a Germanic language has something to do with it.
Whatever.
 
Old 09-18-2015, 12:52 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,281,099 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
Sure you can, it's delicious and that link just proves it. It's good hearty food, perfect for winter or for eating with a nice German beer. Great desserts too.

You know nothing about Austrian food apparently if you think they're famous for "fried pork chops".(Wienerschintzel is made with veal cutlets) Great game dishes, stews, soups, dumplings, great wines...I enjoyed it.

So the cuisines of Northern Europe get perceived as blander though some people like me still enjoy them.
Of course you like it. It is already more than what "Canadian food" offers (which is hamburger + steak).
 
Old 09-18-2015, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Canada
5,692 posts, read 6,545,845 times
Reputation: 8193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
OK guys, regarding fish...

Here goes... the reason Quebecers spend more on fish and seafood is because we eat more fancy-schmanzy, high quality stuff. We have a finer palate, what can I say...

Happy now, people?
I known you're joking and I also know that this isn't necessarily directed at me, but I have the feeling I missed something somewhere along the line because it never occurred to me that the above was the point, either directly or implied.

(That was the point? I was just shocked that the numbers were that low all across the board for fish.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top