U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2015, 08:19 PM

1,372 posts, read 807,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by viceversa View Post
They are Asian. Just like the Eskimos. Which is why Europeans tried to wipe them off the map. To disprove that the Chinese discovered America first.

DNA tests proves it. Besides, just look at the photos. Doesn't take a genius to figure it out.

Nobody has to try to wipe people like you off the map, you do it for us all with comments like this. Wow.... So next you're going to say that because black people have different shaped heads, they must be inferior to you, right?

Old 09-19-2015, 01:17 AM

12,581 posts, read 11,153,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
There is a lot of crazy in this thread...
Why would you say that... Yes some of us like a nice Single malt scotch and Haggis, Neets and Tatties and yes I've eaten at the Caledonian in Toronto - link below lol...

Menu

http://www.blogto.com/restaurants/th...donian-toronto

Why we brought this up was essentially because there was dismissiveness by a certain Botti about Anglo cuisine..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
Oh, yeah! My personal favorite is THE GLENLIVET 18. You have to watch the movie The Angels' Share -- you'll love it! (Don't forget the subtitles for Glaswegian - seriously!)

BTW, haggis w/mashed up carrots and neeps, and mashed tatties is GOOD for you-- no artery clogging there!

Blessings,

Mahrie.
Haven't had The Glenlivet 18 but have had the 12 and its fine for me - 18 sounds like a special occasion like when you come to Toronto and we can head on over to the Caledonian

Thanks for the movie recommendation Mahrie..

Last edited by fusion2; 09-19-2015 at 01:30 AM..

Old 09-19-2015, 02:04 AM

1,582 posts, read 1,139,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
No, they are NOT and if that's what you've been doing you've been poaching and breaking the law. Your entire statement above is incorrect. Salmon and other fish are only free for the taking to nature's wild animals that depend on them for their survival and don't need to abide by man's conservation laws.

You're a well educated person and have lived in BC long enough to know the rules so I'm pretty sure you know that humans have to abide by the fisheries department's conservation rules and regulations. You'll know that all fishermen have to pay for their fishing licenses and can only take limited numbers and sizes of fish (any kind of fish) in accordance with seasonal regulations. Those regulations are put in place for the protection of the fish. Fisheries conservation regulations like that are in place in ALL locales everywhere in North America and Europe and pretty much most other places in the world.

Even the First Nations people are supposed to abide by the more relaxed subsistence fishing regulations and limitations put in place for them, and I know you aren't a First Nations person. So please abide by the rules and stay within the same law that everyone else has to abide by and don't encourage other people to think that they're free to poach and break the laws, otherwise you are endangering what we are all trying to protect and conserve for the good of all.

Oh, take a chill pill, Zoisite! Not once did I advocate poaching or any other activity that would endanger our wild places and the animals, fish, birds, and all other creatures that live in them - including humans.

First Nations people are not required to procure fishing and hunting licences, at least not where I live. Even after paying for a fishing license though, the fish might as well be free for what they cost you, and the same is true of animals in the fall.

Honestly, some people would argue with a possum!

Mahrie.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:05 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,756,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Why would you say that... Yes some of us like a nice Single malt scotch and Haggis, Neets and Tatties and yes I've eaten at the Caledonian in Toronto - link below lol...
Thanks for the tip, Fusion. I'll keep it in mind the next time I'm in Toronto.

Anybody know if the Maharanee (not sure of the spelling) is still in Etobicoke? On the Queensway, I think. It was paired with a British pub--the "Queen's Head" if memory serves--and among the best curries in town were served there. And after your meal, you could head into the pub for darts; and often, a singalong, when one of the regulars would take to the piano.

And another place I remember fondly--Bitondo's Pizzeria, on Clinton Street, just south of College. You never asked for extra cheese at Bitondo's, because that was standard (the pizza went into the oven covered with two inches of cheese). The panzerotti were deep-fried cholesterol bombs, but oh-so-delicious.

And the Esquire, on Victoria Park, just south of Sheppard. Man, you wanted Greek souvlaki, that was the place to go. Forget the Danforth places. And they were open late on weekends, until 4:00 a.m. if memory serves. Just right for a meal after a night of partying.

So many good memories of Toronto pubs and eateries.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:52 AM

261 posts, read 203,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't agree with the link that is made between niqabs and niqabs and citizenship ceremonies, and racism. It's seen as automatically linked by some but I think that's BS.
I agree. My position on whether wearing the niqab at citizenship ceremonies should be allowed isn't definite yet, but for now it goes something like this: I don't think we should make any special accommodations to allow for wearing it if there are reasons against, for example, for purposes of identification. It's the same reason why I believe it'd be ridiculous to allow someone to cover their face on an identity picture.

On the other hand, I probably wouldn't specifically ban wearing a niqab based on a perceived conflict with Canadian values (or, if somebody claims there are no such things as Canadian values, on what values most Canadians want for their country), in the absence of any practical reasons against. This said, I can understand those who would, because in any case there are things that we do require before naturalization as a Canadian citizen: to show proficiency in English or French, for example, and even some politically controversial things such as to pledge allegiance to the Queen. And I do wonder what political or philosophical symbols are allowed to be worn at citizenship ceremonies.

And I also don't for a moment think wearing a niqab is a good thing. Even if I decide that it shouldn't be banned at citizenship ceremonies, I still think it demonstrates support for values that are against Canadian values. I don't view it as a good; at best I will tolerate it.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:16 PM

5,692 posts, read 6,544,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post
I agree. My position on whether wearing the niqab at citizenship ceremonies should be allowed isn't definite yet, but for now it goes something like this: I don't think we should make any special accommodations to allow for wearing it if there are reasons against, for example, for purposes of identification. It's the same reason why I believe it'd be ridiculous to allow someone to cover their face on an identity picture.

On the other hand, I probably wouldn't specifically ban wearing a niqab based on a perceived conflict with Canadian values (or, if somebody claims there are no such things as Canadian values, on what values most Canadians want for their country), in the absence of any practical reasons against. This said, I can understand those who would, because in any case there are things that we do require before naturalization as a Canadian citizen: to show proficiency in English or French, for example, and even some politically controversial things such as to pledge allegiance to the Queen. And I do wonder what political or philosophical symbols are allowed to be worn at citizenship ceremonies.

And I also don't for a moment think wearing a niqab is a good thing. Even if I decide that it shouldn't be banned at citizenship ceremonies, I still think it demonstrates support for values that are against Canadian values. I don't view it as a good; at best I will tolerate it.
This is a really good post and pretty much summarizes my own views.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:42 PM

18,302 posts, read 10,393,778 times
Quote:

Another opinion:

Why give a toehold to oppression?: DiManno

"The niqab isn’t a commandment of faith for Muslim women. It’s a practice steeped in patriarchy and orthodox interpretation of the Hadiths. In some regions, in some Muslim countries, a woman dare not appear outside her home without her face hidden. But those countries aren’t this country."

Old 09-19-2015, 02:45 PM

12,697 posts, read 8,771,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Aside from the lack of perogies, France is a very civilized country.
I love France...and I love the food there ! Their lack of perogies is a concern though.

For fun I did a bit of " googling " and saw someone from Toronto asking about where to find perogies in Paris. Someone mentioned one Polish restaurant...so next time if I'm there and I get a craving...I wonder if they serve it with sour cream? I seem to remember sour cream isn't common in France...even in the UK.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:47 PM

261 posts, read 203,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
"The niqab isnít a commandment of faith for Muslim women. Itís a practice steeped in patriarchy and orthodox interpretation of the Hadiths. In some regions, in some Muslim countries, a woman dare not appear outside her home without her face hidden. But those countries arenít this country."
I don't care if it's a commandment of faith or not. Even if it were, my opinion would be the same. As far as I'm concerned religion is a part of culture, not separate from it, so a given practice being a religious requirement rather than being "merely cultural" doesn't improve (or worsen) my disposition towards it.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:47 PM

18,302 posts, read 10,393,778 times
Quote:
I don't care if it's a commandment of faith or not. Even if it were, my opinion would be the same. As far as I'm concerned religion is a part of culture, not separate from it, so a given practice being a religious requirement rather than being "merely cultural" doesn't improve (or worsen) my disposition towards it.
Oh well then, I guess we'll just ignore the part about it NOT being a part of their faith; merely an arrived at tradition and of course another person's traditions and cultures should always take precedence over the host country's...of course.

That explains why they come to countries that have traditions that conflicts with theirs and not to one that doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada