U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 07:37 PM

18,279 posts, read 10,380,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy999 View Post
why are you all so comfortable with Canada becoming a predominately foreign nation? Are you aware of that would do to your standard of living?
I'm guessing that you simply don't realize Canada has ALWAYS been a predominantly foreign nation. Where the heck did you think all those whites came from in the first place. We're only a couple of hundred years young and all 35 million of us aren't ancestors of first nations.....ergo.......furreners!

My standard of living is my own responsibility not dependant upon the colour of my neighbours skin. If your is; you better stop buying veggies from California, cars from Korea, cloths from Bangladesh, computers from China.......see where I'm going with this?

All the stuff you're measuring your standard of living by is probably to some degree, dependant upon it's manufacture by people all yearning for the same standard of living we've been taking for granted for 70 years or so.

It's their turn now. I think we'll survive just fine.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:47 PM

52 posts, read 49,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I'm sorry but Canada is not a state built on ethnic nationalism and it certainly isn't one centered around the concept of "whites" being that people, and never was, historically the conflicts and divisions in this country between white ethnic groups has been pronounced. Likewise, being not white doesn't make someone a foreigner, or incapable of "Canadian-ness". Some of the most engaged and passionate Canadians I know happen to not be white. Certainly, the suggestion that not being white would result in Canada not being a developed nation any more is absolutely ludicrous, Canadians who are visible minorities are by and large not less educated or productive than white people and live in this country with all of its blessings. Argue what you will about immigration policy, but to suggest that Canada cannot be a nice, civilized place to live if it is not predominantly white is the definition of racist.
Wasn't Canada an explicitly white man's nation before the 60's or 70's though? I am very sure that only white people were allowed into Canada and only white people were considered actually Canadian before that. The first nations weren't even citizens until almost 1960 and that is long after other North and South American nations. I agree that today anyone can be Canadian, but I think that this racist past is still alive in Canada today and contributes to the wave of racism. Just as an example if you go to the US there are non-white people in very prominent positions but in Ontario anyways almost everything is still run by white Anglo Saxon Protestants, which only makes the turn towards racism even more disappointing. I really think we can be a very multicultural society. The fear is misplaced. The only truly multracial societies in the western world before the 1970's were the other countries in North and South America (excluding Canada, and I think also Argentina but no sure) but I think Canada was multicultural in an English vs. French sense.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:47 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,448,583 times
lol @ the idea that Canada is built around the idea of 'white' being a culture, let alone one that is even native or needs to be protected.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:49 PM

7,252 posts, read 6,588,771 times
Quote:
why are you all so comfortable with Canada becoming a predominately foreign nation? Are you aware of that would do to your standard of living?
Canada has always been made up of people from many nations and ethnicities and it always will be, and the standard of living will continue to improve just as it always has. Canada is what it is. So don't worry about it. Be happy and get on with your life, make it a good life for yourself and don't worry about other people. In another 60 years you'll admit your fears in this regard were unfounded and you'll be laughing at yourself.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:58 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,268,124 times
41% losers I guess, since being white is the only thing that can think of that make them "proud"?

Old 09-15-2015, 08:55 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,493,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limelightkid View Post
Wasn't Canada an explicitly white man's nation before the 60's or 70's though? I am very sure that only white people were allowed into Canada and only white people were considered actually Canadian before that. The first nations weren't even citizens until almost 1960 and that is long after other North and South American nations. I agree that today anyone can be Canadian, but I think that this racist past is still alive in Canada today and contributes to the wave of racism. Just as an example if you go to the US there are non-white people in very prominent positions but in Ontario anyways almost everything is still run by white Anglo Saxon Protestants, which only makes the turn towards racism even more disappointing. I really think we can be a very multicultural society. The fear is misplaced. The only truly multracial societies in the western world before the 1970's were the other countries in North and South America (excluding Canada, and I think also Argentina but no sure) but I think Canada was multicultural in an English vs. French sense.
There were racist immigration policies, but that doesn't mean there were no non-white people in Canada before the 60s, or that "white" was a unified culture. BC has long had South and East Asian populations, and there have been black people in Canada for literally centuries. Marginalizing them doesn't mean the people born and raised in Canada weren't Canadians. Moreover, the 60's were a long time ago, you can't define the Canada of today, or justify racist ideas, by looking to a racist past. My dad for example is 56 years old and has lived 50 of those years in Canada. He speaks with a Canadian accent and intimately understands this country. He has personally lived and participated in over a third of its history as an independent nation, from attending Expo 67 in Montreal, watching the birth of the separatist movement, serving Mick Jagger a beer at the summer Olympics, to dining with Thomas Mulcair this year. He has built a business, learned English and French, voted, and paid his taxes. All this despite not being a white man or a Christian. Someone can be a racist and say that he is a foreigner and threatens Canadian-ness because his skin doesn't look like John A. McDonald's did, but they'd be wrong, Canada is made up of its people, and he is one of us without a doubt. There are many other Canadians of every race. I know them, I've loved them, I count them among my friends. The longer they live here, the more Canada becomes a part of them and they Canada.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:04 PM

5,692 posts, read 6,539,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
If white Canadians are so worried about minority Canadians running the country, why don't they just let the KKK/white supremacists rule Canada? Or force the minorities to bleach their hair and to wear colored contacts LOL
Because that wouldn't be enough since it is less about 'whiteness' than it is about anyone who makes an easy, obvious, and minority target. The 'what is the world coming to' anti-immigrant rants were also directed at white immigrants from Eastern Europe at times in the not-so-distant past. God is white and we have the pictures to prove it. And He speaks the Queen's English after all.

I reiterate what I've mentioned before on this forum - everything there is to know about people can be learned from chickens. And for those unfamiliar with my chicken story, I grew up on a chicken farm and any hint of anything different about a chicken, and the other chickens would pile on.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:06 PM

5,692 posts, read 6,539,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charwo View Post
I'm really astonished anyone could look at racial demographics and race relations of America and say "Hey, we should be more like them!"

I'm an American, I'm deeply conservative by inclination, and yes something close to a "white nationalist" if White Nationalism wasn't a movement populated by by hateful, never-my-fault retards. I see a world of Hobbes, where the "war of all against all" is imprinted in the human psyche, and hopefully not the human soul. We're all a bunch of gang banging, murderously territorial shaved monkeys. This mutliracial thing doesn't work, it's never worked, and it's cruel to everyone to pretend it ever will.

Let's get this out of the way: there is no such thing as race. We're all same part of the same compost heap, the all singing, all dancing crap of the world. But, where race does become an issue is that humans are lookist. Specifically, figuring out who is kin and who isn't. There is only 'Could be part of my tribe' and 'Most definitely is not part of my tribe MURDER STAB KILL!' This is amigdala level aggression response, real crocodile brain crapola.

Why are 'white' immigrants OK and non-whites aren't? Because as the American black can testify, assimilation doesn't work past the color line. Assimilation into an ethnic group isn't about aping the clothes, the lingo, the language, it's the total submersion of a person into a culture where they cannot be told apart from the 'natives.' Usually it's a three generation project but it works. Not with the color line. In 1866 my Irish ancestors and freedmen in the South had the exact same social position, the bottom. Why did my ancestors make it into the mainstream? Skin tone. Please learn from our unmitigated failures on this one. It's disgusting to see the fallout, all the cruelty, all the economic oppression, even if it's unavoidable

Short of genetic tampering to turn everyone white, you will never, EVER have a hope of assimilating your non-white immigrants. And it will give rise to a Canadian Trump. Then there's the wonderful issue of social trust. You know how you Canadians, among others, mock us Americans for having the least developed social welfare system in the developed world, and among the worst schools. This is all justified. Can you guess why? Because for some reason (the war of all against all), welfare payments of any kind, healthcare, schools, unemployment across 'racial lines' is seen as tribute. IN America we have a saying: "Millions for defense, not one cent for tribute!" And that's why you see white flight, a prison system so extensive and so blatantly radicalized it would make 19th century Afrikaners blush. There will always be libertarians, but they had no traction at all in America before 1964. Civil Rights probably broke the our liberal consensus. Worth it, but still, there has to be a day after.

Look at this:
The downside of diversity - The Boston Globe

America's present your future, Canadians. Total collapse of social trust, surge of the far right, illiberal animus. I'd tell you we're prepping for civil war down here, but I'd be lying. The feeling is there though; people are looking around and their flailing for answers. I'm personally on Bernie Sanders' side but the important thing is the Establishment is thoroughly discredited at this point, and we are entering what De Tocqueville called the most dangerous part of corrupt governments: the point when they just begin to entertain reform. That we have, and this is just one point, a trillion dollars worth of infrastructure backlogs should show you how destructive to social trust diversity is, even if it doesn't lead to balkanization.
Trump?

Old 09-15-2015, 09:12 PM

11,265 posts, read 13,164,693 times
Quote:
I'll keep it short. Continue massive immigration and there will be no more Tim horton's, hockey, free healthcare or polite, clean and safe Canadian cities. There will only be mayhem, decay and imposition of Islam on all citizens. Am I the only one here that can smell the smoke before the fire?
"Free" healthcare, eh? Mm-hmm. I see.

Yes. Please save us from our ignorance, Suzy.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:17 PM

52 posts, read 49,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
There were racist immigration policies, but that doesn't mean there were no non-white people in Canada before the 60s, or that "white" was a unified culture. BC has long had South and East Asian populations, and there have been black people in Canada for literally centuries. Marginalizing them doesn't mean the people born and raised in Canada weren't Canadians. Moreover, the 60's were a long time ago, you can't define the Canada of today, or justify racist ideas, by looking to a racist past. My dad for example is 56 years old and has lived 50 of those years in Canada. He speaks with a Canadian accent and intimately understands this country. He has personally lived and participated in over a third of its history as an independent nation, from attending Expo 67 in Montreal, watching the birth of the separatist movement, serving Mick Jagger a beer at the summer Olympics, to dining with Thomas Mulcair this year. He has built a business, learned English and French, voted, and paid his taxes. All this despite not being a white man or a Christian. Someone can be a racist and say that he is a foreigner and threatens Canadian-ness because his skin doesn't look like John A. McDonald's did, but they'd be wrong, Canada is made up of its people, and he is one of us without a doubt. There are many other Canadians of every race. I know them, I've loved them, I count them among my friends. The longer they live here, the more Canada becomes a part of them and they Canada.
Sorry, I didn't mean there weren't non-white people in Canada before the 60's. But most were not really a part of included society due to racism. Canada was 96% white in 1900 and those were almost all first nations and the black people of Nova Scotia. Less than 1% Asian in BC. I don't think it was as rosy as some people think it was.

I think a lot of people view Canada as a default white nation, not me though. And I believe that if Canada was not widely seen as being white then many immigrants who come here wouldn't come. I think white people in Canada are still viewed as the default Canadian. Let me add that many immigrants are racist so I don't think it's just white people saying there are too many non-whites like some posters have said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada