Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 04:53 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

I don't deny many people still believe those stories. can't expect everyone to be intelligent at the same time.
Hmm. So, do you express this same opinion to Sikhs, Hindus, Muslims, or Orthodox Jews? Will you say this to any Syrian refugees you happen to meet? No, of course not. Because that would be rude, intolerant, and bigoted. Wouldn't it?

I ask this as someone who's not at all religious and quite liberal, but who despises the utter hypocrisy of those who vociferously defend the dignity of people of any religious faith (or cultural background and/or practice, sexual orientation, lifestyle choice, etc), EXCEPT that of practicing Christians. Without exception, their "tolerance" always ends there. Christians (American, Southern Christians, in particular) are fair game for all the superior, self-righteous contempt and ridicule so-called "liberals" love to throw at them.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 11-28-2015 at 06:07 AM..

Old 11-28-2015, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
White American northerners too.
Canadians, too. Perhaps I'll copy and paste the ugly things some of my family members and childhood friends in Canada (mostly from diverse, "tolerant" southern Ontario) have been recently posting about Syrian refugees. And all the "likes" and favorable replies those posts receive. From other Canadians. In 2015. One can only guess what 1950s Canadian attitudes toward "non-white" people were, because there are no Hollywood movies or TV miniseries depicting them.

Some people just don't like immigrants. Period. Doesn't matter if they're white, black, brown, yellow or purple with pink polkadots. When my parents and uncle (who are WASPS) arrived in Canada in 1965, they were "welcomed" by someone who openly and angrily railed against "all you immigrants." That person was a Canadian immigration officer.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 11-28-2015 at 06:12 AM..

Old 11-28-2015, 05:28 AM

Quote:
^ hard for you to accept?

Half of Los Angeles or Chicago is hardly "developed world". I was actually shocked to see horrible they are. A migrant worker from rural China wouldn't want to live there.
No, because if one of the tens of millions of desperately poor, illiterate migrant workers from rural China lived in Chicago or LA, they'd HATE living among the millions of blacks and Latinos. That's the cold, hard truth. You've said yourself that the Chinese are very racist. Well, no, duh. Most of us who've lived in cities with sizeable Chinese immigrant populations know that already, though we've been too polite to say it. Heck, caucasions are inferior enough in the eyes of the Chinese.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 11-28-2015 at 06:05 AM..

Old 11-28-2015, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
This post is incredibly insulting, tens of millions of us call the Southern US home. I cannot believe the level of intellectual elitism on display here, as well regular old snobbery. I really wonder if people like this have ever been to the South or even the US beyond what ever border crossing he lives near. Clearly he has never seen the South I live in if he thinks its not part of the "developed world".
His post is incredibly bigoted, but that doesn't surprise me.

More than 100 million people reside in the US South. As shocking as it may be for some to believe, not all 100 million+ of those residents share the same cultural, religious, political, social, or economic beliefs.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Really? What America is that? Maybe that's true in whatever backwater you reside in or among whatever crowd you hang with but even in my section of Redneck Heaven, Arab Americans are considered "white", mostly because they're indistinguishable from most other white folks.
Well, at least you recognize that Western NY (a place I'm kinda fond of, actually, having spent countless weekends and holidays there with my Buffalo cousins throughout my childhood and teen years) isn't exactly the most sophisticated, picturesque place in the world. But do you also realize that Canadians in southern Ontario consider Buffalo and Western NY, overall, to be a laughable "backwater"?

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 11-28-2015 at 06:45 AM..

Old 11-28-2015, 06:40 AM

Quote:
really? Then how come in most developed countries religion is becoming less and less important? Go to Paris or Barcelona or Helsinki and ask how imporant religion is. Are all these countries losing their culture?

The Chinese are largey irreligious for their entire history, so are you saying China doesn't have a culture? Most Japanese don't have a religion either and their culture seems to be well liked by westeners.

Why is it shocking? Because it is 2015, not 1820. Religion ceases to be as important in defining culture. I will be shock if you really believe that Virgin Mary got pregnant without having sex with a man or Jesus came back from life. Isn't that the foundation of your religion?
I'm not religious, but even I can admit that a religious belief system, whatever it is, CAN provide personal and social benefits. BTW, not all Asian countries are irreligious, and China's irreligiosity isn't entirely a good thing, apparently:

World Giving Index Names Myanmar As The Most Charitable Nation (The U.S. Is Second) : Goats and Soda : NPR

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 11-28-2015 at 06:56 AM..

Old 11-28-2015, 08:16 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Canadians, too. Perhaps I'll copy and paste the ugly things some of my family members and childhood friends in Canada (mostly from diverse, "tolerant" southern Ontario) have been recently posting about Syrian refugees. .
Not everyone represents your family or childhood friends in Southern Ontario - myself and many of my friends and family included.

Last edited by fusion2; 11-28-2015 at 08:28 AM..

Old 11-28-2015, 08:57 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Aren't most Jews ''white''?
The Nazis didn't think so, and they spent far more time studying eugenics and "racial purity" than most of us would ever care to.

Personally, I have no idea what constitutes "white" these days. It seems the Jews are in and the Irish are out, at least on this forum...

Old 11-28-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Not everyone represents your family or childhood friends in Southern Ontario - myself and many of my friends and family included.
I know that those friends who posted on FB don't represent everyone in Southern Ontario. They don't speak for me or for most of my friends and family there. Thank you, though. My point is that xenophobes ARE represented in every race, every nationality, every religious and cultural background. They include people of every political persuasion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, and educational level. Yes, they're in Canada. And, yes, they even are residents of a diverse, fabulous place like Southern Ontario.

Do you disagree with me?

I'll add that, in my experience, it's often the people who most quickly point an accusatory finger, shouting "Racism!" or "Bigot!" who are the most prejudiced.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 11-28-2015 at 09:53 AM..

Old 11-28-2015, 10:14 AM

170 posts, read 182,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
No, because if one of the tens of millions of desperately poor, illiterate migrant workers from rural China lived in Chicago or LA, they'd HATE living among the millions of blacks and Latinos. That's the cold, hard truth. You've said yourself that the Chinese are very racist. Well, no, duh. Most of us who've lived in cities with sizeable Chinese immigrant populations know that already, though we've been too polite to say it. Heck, caucasions are inferior enough in the eyes of the Chinese.
Botticelli has said these horrible things about black people himself. All kinds of racist things. But now he is suddenly an anti-racism champion when he feels threatened by it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada