U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 10:15 AM

12,581 posts, read 11,130,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I know that those friends who posted on FB don't represent everyone in Southern Ontario. They don't speak for me or for most of my friends and family there. Thank you, though. My point is that xenophobes ARE represented in every race, every nationality, every religious and cultural background. They include people of every political persuasion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, and educational level. Yes, they're in Canada. And, yes, they even are residents of a diverse, fabulous place like Southern Ontario.

Do you disagree with me?

I'll add that, in my experience, it's often the people who most quickly point an accusatory finger, shouting "Racism!" or "Bigot!" who are the most prejudiced.
I agree with your overall point about prejudice being everywhere - just not sure why you needed to emphasize Southern Ontario by putting tolerant in quotes or throwing around the word fabulous about it.. Its a slight and you know it - its cheeky and its something you seem to do with frequency about the region. Almost like you have a chip on your shoulder regarding southern Ontario.. Id be surprised you saying Southern Ontario is fabulous is being anything but cheeky... Am I wrong.....

Are there racists and bigots and prejudiced people all over the world - obviously and obviously southern Ontario has representative nobs. Would I say in a general sense its more tolerant and accepting than most places, probably simply by sheer number of different types of people vs many other places. This is particularly the case with younger people in the region because like me they have grown up with people from around the world so its simply normal conversing, dating, marrying people who are different than what you are.

Last edited by fusion2; 11-28-2015 at 10:31 AM..

Old 11-28-2015, 10:22 AM

18,265 posts, read 10,362,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I live in Southern Appalachia, East Tennessee to be exact. Is there poverty here??? Of course there is. Up in Kentucky it is worse, you are right that parts of Eastern Kentucky are very poor. However much of Southern Appalachia is doing fine. The unemployment rate in my state is 5%, most people have jobs. Our houses cost a lot less than they do in Canada. ( I have seen that Love it or Leave it show that reveals Toronto real estate costs) We drive modern cars, we have modern healthcare, modern homes, cell phones and cable TV just like yall do. The cities of east Tennessee like Knoxville and Chattanooga are growing and very modern places. Some of the far out communities do have some issues, but all places have certain areas where poverty exists. I guess it really got my goat to hear that poster say that the Southern US was not part of the "developed world". I just thought that was really low and rude. There is a lot of history and culture here, and yes a strong Christian faith is part of that. I think that was part of his basis for that cheap shot. People who know nothing about the Southern US should not be trashing it on an internet forum.
I couldn't agree with you more.

I'm up for the challenge of any country presenting the ability in certain regions to drive a mere half hour from an economically thriving urban area to an area demonstrating abject poverty.

As I attempted to illustrate with my earlier post; if all one does is cherry-pick those that suit a particular agenda, you can make whatever you wish out of a sow's ear.

The poster that offended you has forgotten the world was inundated with information about Asian countries being so far behind in societal development, whole regions were found with people never having contact with outside until some natural disaster happens and we see scenes of helicoptered aid arriving to scenes of open sewer ditches running down the centers of the streets and local streams polluted beyond ability to see the water beneath the scum on top.

Taking the economic demographics of any continent and comparing them across the board would show North America as a whole, more than holding it's head above most of the Asian continent.

I'll still take the rural south over MOST of rural Asia any day of the week.

I am also from an era that saw this up close and personal when visiting with a friend from the Navy whose family lived here when he signed up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africville

Canada, being relatively young, presents an excellent opportunity to get it right but we cannot ignore the fact we've already gotten it wrong on occasion.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:34 AM

5,689 posts, read 6,532,688 times
I like the south. And botti is given to being provocative but he also did specify coastal China as opposed to all of China. Not that I'm agreeing with him but I also think, in botti's defence, that people don't realize how great cultural differences can be to immigrants and that one doesn't become suddenly a born-again Canadian or American, but acclimatizes a bit at a time, or in the case of botti, one hamburger bite a a time. Botti is an equal opportunity offender.

In the realm of stories about racists, I agree they are everywhere.

Last edited by netwit; 11-28-2015 at 10:43 AM..

Old 11-28-2015, 10:40 AM

5,718 posts, read 3,197,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I agree with you - just not sure why you needed to emphasize Southern Ontario by putting tolerant in quotes or throwing around the word fabulous about it.. Its a slight and you know it - its cheeky and its something you seem to do with frequency about the region. Almost like you have a chip on your shoulder regarding southern Ontario.. Id be surprised you saying Southern Ontario is fabulous is being anything but cheeky... Am I wrong

Are there racists and bigots and prejudiced people all over the world - obviously southern Ontario has representative nobs. Would I say its more tolerant and accepting than most places, probably simply by sheer number of different types of people.
Yes, you are wrong. I am very proud to have been born and raised in Southern Ontario, and I'll defend it (and often do) to those who unjustly criticize it (usually people from other parts of Canada). No chip on my shoulder about it, whatsoever. I'm not being the least bit cheeky when I call SO "fabulous."

But I'm also not being unfair when I state the obvious, which is that, even though I agree that it's a heck of a lot more tolerant than plenty of other places, it's not a pristine example of acceptance, either. No place is. That's all.

As for chips on one's shoulder, botti's got one the size of the CN Tower on his, but you're not calling that out. I'm the first to agree that his posts are smart and often refreshing (I love strongly opinionated people who dare to think outside the box), but his endless complaining about the evils of the West (to which he chose to emigrate and where he chooses to remain) and of people of European extraction DOES become unfair.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 11-28-2015 at 10:55 AM..

Old 11-28-2015, 10:58 AM

12,581 posts, read 11,130,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Yes, you are wrong. I am very proud to have been born and raised in Southern Ontario, and I'll defend it (and often do) to those who unjustly criticize it (usually people from other parts of Canada). No chip on my shoulder about it, whatsoever. I'm not being the least bit cheeky when I call SO "fabulous."

But I'm also not being unfair when I state the obvious, which is that, even though I agree that it's a heck of a lot more tolerant than plenty of other places, it's not a pristine example of acceptance, either. No place is. That's all.

As for chips on one's shoulder, botti's got one the size of the CN Tower on his, but you're not calling that out. I'm the first to agree that his posts are smart and often refreshing (I love strongly opinionated people who dare to think outside the box), but his endless complaining about the evils of the West (to which he chose to emigrate and where he chooses to remain) and of people of European extraction DOES become unfair.
Fair enough about the first two paragraphs and thanks for clarifying.. Nothing more needs to be said about it and if I ask someone something directly and they answer the way you have I take them for their word and with respect and I agree with you to boot!

As for the last part - me not calling Botti out on things LOL... Dixie you are just as wrong about that as I was about your feelings about Southern Ontario! I call him out all the time on things - but sometimes I give him a break - sometimes.. lol. He is a good guy though - really!

Last edited by fusion2; 11-28-2015 at 11:13 AM..

Old 11-28-2015, 04:57 PM

325 posts, read 295,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I like the south. And botti is given to being provocative but he also did specify coastal China as opposed to all of China. Not that I'm agreeing with him but I also think, in botti's defence, that people don't realize how great cultural differences can be to immigrants and that one doesn't become suddenly a born-again Canadian or American, but acclimatizes a bit at a time, or in the case of botti, one hamburger bite a a time. Botti is an equal opportunity offender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTjFbKJYkkw

Old 11-28-2015, 05:31 PM

17,252 posts, read 10,176,823 times
Do some of the people on this thread not realize this is City Data and not Stormfront?

Old 11-28-2015, 05:58 PM

7,216 posts, read 6,570,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Do some of the people on this thread not realize this is City Data and not Stormfront?
LOL. It's a civil enough conversation otherwise it wouldn't have gone on for 7 pages already. I guess you don't visit the Canada forum very often.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:01 AM

6,509 posts, read 7,454,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I have never visited the website Stormfront, but it is often cited here in CD land. I still hope I never see that website. The best way to make stuff like that disappear is to ignore it.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:57 AM

8,575 posts, read 11,065,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The best way to make stuff like that disappear is to ignore it.
I'd wager the best way to make it disappear is to keep turning over the rocks and exposing the cockroaches to the light of day, and ridicule of the general public.

Nasty things tend to grow well in ignored, dark little corners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada