U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 01:08 AM

387 posts, read 271,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
C'mon now, the apocalypse or World War III could happen and there still would be Tim Horton's and hockey in Canada...

Also plenty of us "brown" Canadians(including second generation Chinese-Canadians like me) love hockey and grew up loving and playing hockey. (And we're trying to get better at it, okay?)

There's some smoke coming out your bum, perhaps.
I doubt anyone is really complaining about the Chinese through...

Same thing is true in NYC....I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain about Chinese people....Other than the so called "bad driving" which I don't even think is a true stereotype from my experience (some of the worst drivers I have ever known have been White guys).....

From what I have seen in Canada most White people complain about Arabs/Indians not assimilating and in America most White people complain about Blacks.....

Old 09-16-2015, 05:16 AM

18,301 posts, read 10,390,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charwo View Post
I'm really astonished anyone could look at racial demographics and race relations of America and say "Hey, we should be more like them!"

I'm an American, I'm deeply conservative by inclination, and yes something close to a "white nationalist" if White Nationalism wasn't a movement populated by by hateful, never-my-fault retards. I see a world of Hobbes, where the "war of all against all" is imprinted in the human psyche, and hopefully not the human soul. We're all a bunch of gang banging, murderously territorial shaved monkeys. This mutliracial thing doesn't work, it's never worked, and it's cruel to everyone to pretend it ever will.

Let's get this out of the way: there is no such thing as race. We're all same part of the same compost heap, the all singing, all dancing crap of the world. But, where race does become an issue is that humans are lookist. Specifically, figuring out who is kin and who isn't. There is only 'Could be part of my tribe' and 'Most definitely is not part of my tribe MURDER STAB KILL!' This is amigdala level aggression response, real crocodile brain crapola.

Why are 'white' immigrants OK and non-whites aren't? Because as the American black can testify, assimilation doesn't work past the color line. Assimilation into an ethnic group isn't about aping the clothes, the lingo, the language, it's the total submersion of a person into a culture where they cannot be told apart from the 'natives.' Usually it's a three generation project but it works. Not with the color line. In 1866 my Irish ancestors and freedmen in the South had the exact same social position, the bottom. Why did my ancestors make it into the mainstream? Skin tone. Please learn from our unmitigated failures on this one. It's disgusting to see the fallout, all the cruelty, all the economic oppression, even if it's unavoidable

Short of genetic tampering to turn everyone white, you will never, EVER have a hope of assimilating your non-white immigrants. And it will give rise to a Canadian Trump. Then there's the wonderful issue of social trust. You know how you Canadians, among others, mock us Americans for having the least developed social welfare system in the developed world, and among the worst schools. This is all justified. Can you guess why? Because for some reason (the war of all against all), welfare payments of any kind, healthcare, schools, unemployment across 'racial lines' is seen as tribute. IN America we have a saying: "Millions for defense, not one cent for tribute!" And that's why you see white flight, a prison system so extensive and so blatantly radicalized it would make 19th century Afrikaners blush. There will always be libertarians, but they had no traction at all in America before 1964. Civil Rights probably broke the our liberal consensus. Worth it, but still, there has to be a day after.

Look at this:
The downside of diversity - The Boston Globe

America's present your future, Canadians. Total collapse of social trust, surge of the far right, illiberal animus. I'd tell you we're prepping for civil war down here, but I'd be lying. The feeling is there though; people are looking around and their flailing for answers. I'm personally on Bernie Sanders' side but the important thing is the Establishment is thoroughly discredited at this point, and we are entering what De Tocqueville called the most dangerous part of corrupt governments: the point when they just begin to entertain reform. That we have, and this is just one point, a trillion dollars worth of infrastructure backlogs should show you how destructive to social trust diversity is, even if it doesn't lead to balkanization.
Very interesting assessment of present day America.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Trump?
Well, at least they're not talking about Rob Ford anymore down there.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:15 AM

5,664 posts, read 4,888,168 times
IMO
when you plan to go to another country and become a part of their society it is prudent to accept their culture and leave one's failed culture behind.
But that's not what happens here.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machjo View Post
I'm of mostly French blood with some Algonquin blood and am white, but my fiancée has Chinese and Japanese blood; and the preferred language between us is Mandarin.

My sincerest apologies to the opponents of race-mixing on this site. Not only will they have to see yet one more Far-Eastern face at the supermarket, but possibly a mixed face later that will blur the dividing line between white and non-white, the only solace being that we usually shop at Chinese supermarkets where opponents of race-mixing are not as likely to shop.

I also apologize for the fact that opponents of race-mixing might now have to hear not only yet another Far-Eastern face speaking Chinese in public, but the greatest act of treason of a white man speaking Chinese in public.

I sincerely apologize for breaking Canada's secular-nationalist tradition of choosing my spouse nbased not on the compatibility of our characters but rather on race, language, and ethnicity.

Given that we'd met while she was visiting family in Canada, maybe it's time for Canada to require all travellers to meet the ethnic immigration litmus test lest they meet a white Canadian during their travels.

Maybe we could borrow some ideas from the policy of Apartheid by keeping ethnic groups apart to reduce the likelihood of inter-ethnic marriage?
You really should ratchet down the rhetoric.

No one is asking for an apology from you for anything.

This particular white (mostly grey all over now) 70 yr old Anglo-Saxon has nothing but admiration for your ability to act on a desire to be multilingual. It is probably easier for you due to your chosen mate but nevertheless; you represent the future of the world, not just Canada. You're a member of an ever growing demographic.

I care even less that you've chosen a (hopefully) life partner of foreign extraction. Peoples likes and dislikes are something we put up with throughout our lives and are the measure of our tolerance when deciding which will upset us and which will simply cause us to shrug and move on with out lives. I've had to tolerate a neighbour who planted nothing but ugly trees while I have Maples. Sheesh! Can you imagine?

You need to be very careful to not let this displayed chagrin spill onto your children, if and when. It will be they who will carry forward whatever patterning you imbue them with.

Getting all bitter and twisted over what ideas fuel other peoples lives is a fool's errand. Focus instead on what your life brings to the table and ignore the disparity criticisms other people make which in the long run, negatively affect only themselves.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
IMO
when you plan to go to another country and become a part of their society it is prudent to accept their culture and leave one's failed culture behind.
But that's not what happens here.
I'll match your opinion with one of my own: we are grappling with the impossible task of differentiating between those who arrive bent on a mission of bringing us into religious compliance and those who are simply seeking a better life and willing to adapt large parts of theirs to assimilate.

How do we tell 'em apart?

The classic catch 22, baby bathwater, conundrum.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:30 AM

2,564 posts, read 2,183,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
You really should ratchet down the rhetoric.

No one is asking for an apology from you for anything.

This particular white (mostly grey all over now) 70 yr old Anglo-Saxon has nothing but admiration for your ability to act on a desire to be multilingual. It is probably easier for you due to your chosen mate but nevertheless; you represent the future of the world, not just Canada. You're a member of an ever growing demographic.

I care even less that you've chosen a (hopefully) life partner of foreign extraction. Peoples likes and dislikes are something we put up with throughout our lives and are the measure of our tolerance when deciding which will upset us and which will simply cause us to shrug and move on with out lives. I've had to tolerate a neighbour who planted nothing but ugly trees while I have Maples. Sheesh! Can you imagine?

You need to be very careful to not let this displayed chagrin spill onto your children, if and when. It will be they who will carry forward whatever patterning you imbue them with.

Getting all bitter and twisted over what ideas fuel other peoples lives is a fool's errand. Focus instead on what your life brings to the table and ignore the disparity criticisms other people make which in the long run, negatively affect only themselves.
I think it was pretty clear that Machjo meant it as a satire to mock those racist posters on here.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:03 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,009,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to Chicago View Post
I doubt anyone is really complaining about the Chinese through...

Same thing is true in NYC....I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain about Chinese people....Other than the so called "bad driving" which I don't even think is a true stereotype from my experience (some of the worst drivers I have ever known have been White guys).....

From what I have seen in Canada most White people complain about Arabs/Indians not assimilating and in America most White people complain about Blacks.....
Apparently you haven't spent much time in British Columbia then...or on this forum. People of Chinese descent are blamed for ruining Vancouver, even those of us actually born in Canada get thrown into the mix with the mainland Chinese condo buyers(meanwhile there were people from China in Vancouver and Victoria long before a lot of the more recent European immigrants showed up).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy999 View Post
Don't forget about hongcou--- whoops I mean *vancouver" too and it's surrounding areas.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:23 AM

4,699 posts, read 8,498,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to Chicago View Post
Big deal....When every other race/group/minority religion says it it's fine, but when Whites do it it's "racciss".....Who cares

I wouldn't want to live in a 99% White community, but I wouldn't want to live in a 30% White community either.....To much (Southern California/South Florida) or to little diversity sucks....

White Canadians don't owe Paki's, Blacks, Arabs, Asians a damn thing...They are simply immigrants who migrated to Canada in the last 60 or so years (most of them)....

The only people White Canadians may "owe" for past discrimination/persecution are the First Nations people....All these other "minority groups" came to Canada very recently and were never really discriminated against.....Completely different history than America....

And that's NOT even factoring in all the "New Immigrant" White people from Italy, Greece, Eastern Europe etc who came to Canada very recently (as remember Canada was settled by the British and French) and were never involved in the original discrimination that the British and (to a lesser extent) French Canadian Whites did to the First Nations people...So those White owe 0 people anything....
Yeah, nobody has suggested white people owe non-white immigrant populations anything out of the ordinary based on their race. You're the first to bring that idea up and it's not part of the common rhetoric. Some of us are just arguing we shouldn't care about race when it comes to selecting immigrants, and that it doesn't matter if people aren't white. You'd think these would be uncontroversial statements, but apparently not.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:50 AM

21,956 posts, read 27,377,612 times
For the record, I am a pro-immigration, pro-diversity, anti-racist, left-wing progressive who nonetheless does believe there is an onus on immigrants to adapt to their host country to some degree. Their role is to help the host country's culture become richer and evolve, but not to make it go diametrically in another direction, or set up parallel societies that are isolated from the mainstream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada