U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 10:06 AM

430 posts, read 676,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Their role is to help the host country's culture become richer and evolve, but not to make it go diametrically in another direction, or set up parallel societies that are isolated from the mainstream.
I rather like these "parallel societies" isolated from the mainstream. It's like visiting another country to go into a Chinatown or Little India and not hear any English (or French) on the streets. That isolation does help the host country's culture become richer and more diverse.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:19 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,360,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
I rather like these "parallel societies" isolated from the mainstream. It's like visiting another country to go into a Chinatown or Little India and not hear any English (or French) on the streets. That isolation does help the host country's culture become richer and more diverse.
Oh, that's not really what I had in mind. What you describe is generally totally benign and as you say, is often enriching for the host society.

This is more what I was talking about:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lev_Tahor

Old 09-16-2015, 10:24 AM

7,248 posts, read 6,588,771 times
Quote:
For the record, I am a pro-immigration, pro-diversity, anti-racist, left-wing progressive who nonetheless does believe there is an onus on immigrants to adapt to their host country to some degree. Their role is to help the host country's culture become richer and evolve, but not to make it go diametrically in another direction, or set up parallel societies that are isolated from the mainstream.
Based on the posts I've seen from all of the same Canadian members that have been posting regularly on this board for the past few years I'd say you are speaking for the majority of us.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:36 AM

7,248 posts, read 6,588,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
I agree that the parallel societies do help the host country's culture become richer, and yes sometimes it's like visiting another country, but honestly I don't feel like they are isolated though, at least not here in Canada. Speaking for the majority of cultures within Canada they may each be running parallel alongside several other diverse societies but there's nothing isolated about them. It's been my experience that they're quite open, inviting and sharing of their cultures towards people from other societies. I've never been made to feel as though I "don't belong" or that the way they live or do things is none of my business.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:42 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,360,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I agree that the parallel societies do help the host country's culture become richer, and yes sometimes it's like visiting another country, but honestly I don't feel like they are isolated though, at least not here in Canada. Speaking for the majority of cultures within Canada they may each be running parallel alongside several other diverse societies but there's nothing isolated about them. It's been my experience that they're quite open, inviting and sharing of their cultures towards people from other societies. I've never been made to feel as though I "don't belong" or that the way they live or do things is none of my business.

Yes, for example there are a number of Lebanese groceries near where I live, and one of them has seized an opportunity and has a big sign in the window that says SE VENDE PRODUCTOS LATINO AMERICANOS, and so they've become the local place for products from Central and South America. They also carry products from African countries as well.

BTW I am not saying this doesn't happen in other countries, including the U.S. of course.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:39 AM

18,277 posts, read 10,380,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
I think it was pretty clear that Machjo meant it as a satire to mock those racist posters on here.
Why then are we giving full credence to the racist posts? If I've learned anything on these forums it's certain individuals portray themselves as nutz just to get our blood going. Giving them the benefit of a satirical response is wasting bandwidth on them. They're merely here to deliberately fart in the crowded elevator.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:29 PM

12,691 posts, read 8,759,917 times
Quote:
For the record, I am a pro-immigration, pro-diversity, anti-racist, left-wing progressive who nonetheless does believe there is an onus on immigrants to adapt to their host country to some degree. Their role is to help the host country's culture become richer and evolve, but not to make it go diametrically in another direction, or set up parallel societies that are isolated from the mainstream.
I knew there was a reason why I never really get mad at you

Old 09-16-2015, 12:41 PM

12,691 posts, read 8,759,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

My experience as well. Go to Richmond and the Asian malls. It's a great way to see another culture in action in it's modern sense and not the old Chinatown sense if you know what I mean.
Either way people there are always nice and welcoming.

When Little India in Vancouver was a bit more cohesive than it is now, I used to go there to shop to pick up certain items that are now available in most grocery stores, but weren't then. The shop keepers asked what I was making. Their questions were not just to sell me more, but a genuine interest in sharing their cuisine by giving me tips etc.

Maybe it was the neighbourhood I grew up in. A real mix of immigrants. Scottish, Japanese,Italian, Polish, Chinese, and others. We all got along, we all played together as kids and even our parents would get to know the other parents through school and our neighbourhood baseball games where parents and kids played together sometimes.

This mix of cultures that didn't overtake my Canadian culture but was a huge part of my Canadian culture.

Diversity is a banquet. Once you have it and enjoy it, you will miss it when you go to place that lacks it.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:56 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,268,124 times
Quote:
Ok, then when the English and French settled in Canada, did they adapt to their host country instead of setting up parallel societies?

People should be allowed to set up whatever they want as long as they obey Canadian rules and regulations. One reason people set up parallel society is probably that the mainstream culture is not considered attractive to them. For example, I don't eat hamburgers or steaks or potatoes not because I want to be different, but because that kind of food is considered by me as inferior and unattractive - exactly the reason why the British and French didn't adopt the culture and lifestyle of the aboriginals.

Just to provide some perspective. Many immigrants simply don't find the mainstream culture attractive, so why not choose something better? They are helping to make the host country's culture richer in this way.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:04 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,008,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to Chicago View Post
Big deal....When every other race/group/minority religion says it it's fine, but when Whites do it it's "racciss".....Who cares

I wouldn't want to live in a 99% White community, but I wouldn't want to live in a 30% White community either.....To much (Southern California/South Florida) or to little diversity sucks....

White Canadians don't owe Paki's, Blacks, Arabs, Asians a damn thing...They are simply immigrants who migrated to Canada in the last 60 or so years (most of them)....
I don't think anyone argued that immigrants are owed anything, though.

Also, there's very few places in Canada that are even close to being 30% white outside of maybe parts of Vancouver and Toronto and adjacent suburbs of those cities. Most other sizable Canadian cities like Montreal, Edmonton, and Calgary have a "visible minority" percentage close to the non-white percentage of Portland, Oregon or Seattle, Washington(which are known in the US as being two of the "whitest" major citiers)--close to being 65% to 70% white. I don't state that as a good or bad fact--I've lived in Vancouver, Calgary, and Montreal in points in my life, and enjoyed them all for what they're worth(and lived in a pretty international feeling area of Montreal).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada