U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 01:13 PM

21,956 posts, read 27,377,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Ok, then when the English and French settled in Canada, did they adapt to their host country instead of setting up parallel societies?
No, they didn't. And it was wrong.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:15 PM

21,956 posts, read 27,377,612 times
Quote:

People should be allowed to set up whatever they want as long as they obey Canadian rules and regulations. One reason people set up parallel society is probably that the mainstream culture is not considered attractive to them. For example, I don't eat hamburgers or steaks or potatoes not because I want to be different, but because that kind of food is considered by me as inferior and unattractive - exactly the reason why the British and French didn't adopt the culture and lifestyle of the aboriginals.

Just to provide some perspective. Many immigrants simply don't find the mainstream culture attractive, so why not choose something better? They are helping to make the host country's culture richer in this way.
Oh, I am not suggesting anything significantly more coercive than what already exists.

Generally speaking, I don't think Canada has much of a problem with integrating its immigrants these days.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:21 PM

12,697 posts, read 8,769,158 times
Quote:
Ok, then when the English and French settled in Canada, did they adapt to their host country instead of setting up parallel societies?

People should be allowed to set up whatever they want as long as they obey Canadian rules and regulations. One reason people set up parallel society is probably that the mainstream culture is not considered attractive to them. For example, I don't eat hamburgers or steaks or potatoes not because I want to be different, but because that kind of food is considered by me as inferior and unattractive - exactly the reason why the British and French didn't adopt the culture and lifestyle of the aboriginals.

Just to provide some perspective. Many immigrants simply don't find the mainstream culture attractive, so why not choose something better? They are helping to make the host country's culture richer in this way.
You're sounding like a food snob. LOL

I don't think for most, it's a matter of choosing what's better, but choosing what's familiar. Integration for immigrants of course varies widely depending on where they are from and what stage of life they are at...and of course what type of person they are.

It only lasts a generation anyway. If and when you have kids Botti, I can guarantee they will eat hamburgers and not think it " inferior ".

Old 09-16-2015, 01:32 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,276,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Oh, I am not suggesting anything significantly more coercive than what already exists.

Generally speaking, I don't think Canada has much of a problem with integrating its immigrants these days.
As I argued previously, the concern over integration is mostly unnecessary. Second and third generation are much more integrated. I know a few Muslims and all of them act just like regular Canadians, most don't pray and some even eat pork. I think just because the extreme religious people have more exposure, their presence is exaggerated.

One can't require the first generation to integrate. It is unnecessary and serves absolutely no purpose. Just imagine if a white Canadian moves to Thailand (many do) and is asked to live and eat just like a Thai, abandoning all her own customs, how does that help anything? I myself simply have no interest in hockey, and I don't see the point of forcing myself to like it, but my children might grow up liking it, but I will make no attempt to make him like it just because it is a "Canadian thing to do" (many immigrates actually do that).

On the other hand, I admire countries like Canada which are handling multi-culture quite well. In reality, there are few country that is as multi-culture as Canada and didn't have major issues. Australia is way more racist than Canada. I appreciate the fact that the Canadians government and the people are treating immigrants quite well and have laws to forbid discrimination. If put Asian countries in the same shoes, I doubt people can coexist largely in harmony if Shanghai or Tokyo were 50% foreign born. We might be used to different faces every day but it is not really something easy to achieve.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:43 PM

10,425 posts, read 8,791,019 times
https://themuslimissue.wordpress.com...m-hate-crimes/ Get A Grip! People https://muslimstatistics.wordpress.c...of-population/

Old 09-16-2015, 01:43 PM

11,265 posts, read 13,172,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I've applied for a government grant to provide an educational format to teach all these interlopers our ways, starting with how to correctly pronounce "about" so it approximates ABOOT. The cheques in the mail I'm told.
I bet the cheque is tied up in Abootsford, Bru.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:50 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,276,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
You're sounding like a food snob. LOL

I don't think for most, it's a matter of choosing what's better, but choosing what's familiar. Integration for immigrants of course varies widely depending on where they are from and what stage of life they are at...and of course what type of person they are.

It only lasts a generation anyway. If and when you have kids Botti, I can guarantee they will eat hamburgers and not think it " inferior ".

Snob or not, the real Canadian food sucks and lacks in variety. if a restaurant only serves "Canadian food", or "Anglo-Saxon", the menu would be limited to less than 15 items composed of different burgers. That's a fact. In reality, Anglo-Saxons contributed hardly anything to the world in terms of food.

Canadians should really stop eating so many burgers and start eating more of other good food. Maybe some real fish to start. Also do beef always have to be grilled in big chunks? For Christ's sake there are 25 other ways to cook beef! Canada is a developed country, but why "Canadian food" is stuck in the primitive stage involving nothing more sophisticated than big chunks of grilled/baked meat is beyond my IQ . I mean, we do have modern kitchens and don't hunt on horseback any more.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:50 PM

18,301 posts, read 10,390,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I bet the cheque is tied up in Abootsford, Bru.
Well it better get here soonest as the first class has been struck and I've already explained to the Muslim segment that we do not bake cakes out of bacon. Somebody's been maliciously stoking their angst.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:56 PM

18,301 posts, read 10,390,605 times
Quote:
Snob or not, the real Canadian food sucks and lacks in variety. if a restaurant only serves "Canadian food", or "Anglo-Saxon", the menu would be limited to less than 15 items composed of different burgers. That's a fact. In reality, Anglo-Saxons contributed hardly anything to the world in terms of food.

Canadians should really stop eating so many burgers and start eating more of other good food. Maybe some real fish to start. Also do beef always have to be grilled in big chunks? For Christ's sake there are 25 other ways to cook beef! Canada is a developed country, but why "Canadian food" is stuck in the primitive stage involving nothing more sophisticated than big chunks of grilled/baked meat is beyond my IQ . I mean, we do have modern kitchens and don't hunt on horseback any more.
I beg your pardon? Where would the modern world be without Yorkshire Puddings, Toad in the Holes, Scottish eggs, and the perennial favourite, Beef Wellington?

Old 09-16-2015, 02:03 PM

12,697 posts, read 8,769,158 times
Quote:

Canadians should really stop eating so many burgers and start eating more of other good food. Maybe some real fish to start. Also do beef always have to be grilled in big chunks? For Christ's sake there are 10 other ways to cook beef! Canada is a developed country, but why "Canadian food" is stuck in the primitive stage involving nothing more sophisticated than big chunks of grilled/baked meat is beyond my IQ . I mean, we do have modern kitchens and don't hunt on horseback any more.
In some chain restaurants no doubt. You've got to go to real restaurants and not burger joints.

I'm not going to try and defend one cuisine over another, as I love a huge variety of cuisines. The best are usually a progression of cuisines...like pasta from Asia to Italy.
Canada is just way too young to have a huge cuisine as it's own. What we do well, is fusions of cuisine.
The same in the US. We take from everywhere and make great things. From the simply ridiculousness of Japadog here in Vancouver, to utterly sublime places.

That said, I do love a Devonshire Cream on a scone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada