U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-16-2015, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,703 posts, read 8,775,044 times
Reputation: 7319

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I beg your pardon? Where would the modern world be without Yorkshire Puddings, Toad in the Holes, Scottish eggs, and the perennial favourite, Beef Wellington?
...the Bacon Botty. Don't forget the Bacon Botty!!

The Great British Bacon Butty - Bacon Sandwich Recipe - Food.com

 
Old 09-16-2015, 02:16 PM
 
Location: State of Grace
1,583 posts, read 1,139,643 times
Reputation: 2619
Quote:
Originally Posted by limelightkid View Post
41% of Canada say there are too many non-white people in Canada, and just under half say there are too many immigrants. Almost 2/3 also want to ban religious wear called niqabs at citizenship ceremonies. Is Canada becoming less welcoming to immigrants or what? I admit I am really disappointed to see this. This type of racism shouldn't stand in a multicultural nation.

The EKOS poll: Are Canadians getting more racist?

These kinds of polls aren't remotely representative of what most Canadians think and feel. I certainly wasn't asked for my opinion on the matter, and neither was my husband, nor anyone else we know, and we're all Canadian Citizens.

Personally, I couldn't care less if people are black, white, or tartan. I do prefer to be around people who are caring and giving than people who are self-absorbed with an entitlement attitude though, but that would be true no matter where I lived.

Most people I know are too busy getting on with their own lives to care what color or culture other people hail from. As I've said before on this forum, there are both nice people and a$$holes everywhere on the planet, and like most others, I'm partial to nice people.

Have a spectacular day, y'all!


Blessings,


Mahrie.
 
Old 09-16-2015, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Montreal
579 posts, read 469,388 times
Reputation: 256
I know Islam is causing issues in some areas, Quebec is definitely one place in Canada where Islam is an issue (even though Quebecers otherwise don't talk about religion much)...

On the other hand, Quebec will never be as islamophobic as Japan. IIRC Japan is the most islamophobic first-world country, and is pretty upfront about its islamophobia, despite not keeping track of religion at all. Russia is another country that is almost as islamophobic.
 
Old 09-16-2015, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,703 posts, read 8,775,044 times
Reputation: 7319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
These kinds of polls aren't remotely representative of what most Canadians think and feel. I certainly wasn't asked for my opinion on the matter, and neither was my husband, nor anyone else we know, and we're all Canadian Citizens.

Personally, I couldn't care less if people are black, white, or tartan. I do prefer to be around people who are caring and giving than people who are self-absorbed with an entitlement attitude though, but that would be true no matter where I lived.

Most people I know are too busy getting on with their own lives to care what color or culture other people hail from. As I've said before on this forum, there are both nice people and a$$holes everywhere on the planet, and like most others, I'm partial to nice people.

Have a spectacular day, y'all!


Blessings,


Mahrie.
I think BruSan is a tartan


Joking aside, I agree.
 
Old 09-16-2015, 03:52 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,156,879 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I beg your pardon? Where would the modern world be without Yorkshire Puddings, Toad in the Holes, Scottish eggs, and the perennial favourite, Beef Wellington?
I actually loved Haggis, neeps and tatties when I was in Edinburgh... Bangers and mash anyone lol...
 
Old 09-16-2015, 04:30 PM
 
Location: State of Grace
1,583 posts, read 1,139,643 times
Reputation: 2619
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I actually loved Haggis, neeps and tatties when I was in Edinburgh... Bangers and mash anyone lol...

Don't forget 'bubble and squeak' (leftover cabbage and mashed potatoes fried in butter). Yum! And not to nit pick, but it's SCOTCH eggs, not Scottish eggs.

Hey, fusion; I too love haggis, and mashed up carrots and neeps (rutabagas) and tatties! You're making me homesick! Ontario has a large percentage of Scottish immigrants, and in the city in which my parents lived they even had (have?) a Scottish butcher, who sold everything from plain and pan bread to black pudding and (chip shop) mince pies. I can almost hear all those arteries hardening from here, LOL!

In the Whistler area, they tend to be a healthy bunch, eating only good-for-you stuff (if we don't count alcohol). It's... depressing!

Blessings,


Mahrie.
 
Old 09-16-2015, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,156,879 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
Don't forget 'bubble and squeak' (leftover cabbage and mashed potatoes fried in butter). Yum! And not to nit pick, but it's SCOTCH eggs, not Scottish eggs.

Hey, fusion; I too love haggis, and mashed up carrots and neeps (rutabagas) and tatties! You're making me homesick! Ontario has a large percentage of Scottish immigrants, and in the city in which my parents lived they even had (have?) a Scottish butcher, who sold everything from plain and pan bread to black pudding and (chip shop) mince pies. I can almost hear all those arteries hardening from here, LOL!

In the Whistler area, they tend to be a healthy bunch, eating only good-for-you stuff (if we don't count alcohol). It's... depressing!

Blessings,


Mahrie.
It was the first time I had Haggis in the mother country Mahrie and I've been hooked ever since... It really is delicious I also miss the Fish bars.... I must say, sometimes our hearty and arterial clogging food is exactly the type of comfort food needed to fill you up on a cold day

Oh yeah not technically a food but what the heck - SINGLE MALT SCOTCH - nothing better on a coooold day
 
Old 09-16-2015, 04:45 PM
 
18,327 posts, read 10,398,747 times
Reputation: 13391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
In some chain restaurants no doubt. You've got to go to real restaurants and not burger joints.

I'm not going to try and defend one cuisine over another, as I love a huge variety of cuisines. The best are usually a progression of cuisines...like pasta from Asia to Italy.
Canada is just way too young to have a huge cuisine as it's own. What we do well, is fusions of cuisine.
The same in the US. We take from everywhere and make great things. From the simply ridiculousness of Japadog here in Vancouver, to utterly sublime places.

That said, I do love a Devonshire Cream on a scone
Clotted? With or without Strawberry preserves?

Eons ago I got dressed in my number one's and took a date to High Tea at the Empress Hotel in Victoria. She was mightily impressed.

Fast forward to 2003 and a visit west with friends and I talked them into partaking. What a colossal disappointment that was! Gone was the quiet reserved setting with people dressed semi-formal. The new High Tea involves tour buses all disgorging throngs of folks wearing shorts and flip-flops, seated, served, here's the bill, now on yer bike!

Gone are the dainty little cucumber sannies and silver service with tiered serving trays full of pastries.

Cripes; what a rip-off they're actually selling people that's even a facsimile of a genuine High Tea.
 
Old 09-16-2015, 05:15 PM
 
Location: State of Grace
1,583 posts, read 1,139,643 times
Reputation: 2619
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
It was the first time I had Haggis in the mother country Mahrie and I've been hooked ever since... It really is delicious I also miss the Fish bars.... I must say, sometimes our hearty and arterial clogging food is exactly the type of comfort food needed to fill you up on a cold day

Oh yeah not technically a food but what the heck - SINGLE MALT SCOTCH - nothing better on a coooold day

Oh, yeah! My personal favorite is THE GLENLIVET 18. You have to watch the movie The Angels' Share -- you'll love it! (Don't forget the subtitles for Glaswegian - seriously!)

BTW, haggis w/mashed up carrots and neeps, and mashed tatties is GOOD for you-- no artery clogging there!

Blessings,


Mahrie.
 
Old 09-16-2015, 05:35 PM
 
18,327 posts, read 10,398,747 times
Reputation: 13391
Mushy Peas, Rumbledethumps, Dundee cake.

And while on the Dundee cake.....where would we be without a traditional fruit cake at Christmas? Rum Sauce aaaah goodness me I'm gonna talk the better half into and early treat this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top