Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2015, 03:49 PM

242 posts, read 242,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post
I don't care if it's a commandment of faith or not. Even if it were, my opinion would be the same. As far as I'm concerned religion is a part of culture, not separate from it, so a given practice being a religious requirement rather than being "merely cultural" doesn't improve (or worsen) my disposition towards it.
This is exactly right. Why is this a shocking matter to some people? Religion is like a bedrock of culture. Even atheistic individuals in Canada derice their culture from the tradition of christians. It is linked together as one.

Old 11-24-2015, 04:10 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour185 View Post
This is exactly right. Why is this a shocking matter to some people? Religion is like a bedrock of culture. Even atheistic individuals in Canada derice their culture from the tradition of christians. It is linked together as one.
really? Then how come in most developed countries religion is becoming less and less important? Go to Paris or Barcelona or Helsinki and ask how imporant religion is. Are all these countries losing their culture?

The Chinese are largey irreligious for their entire history, so are you saying China doesn't have a culture? Most Japanese don't have a religion either and their culture seems to be well liked by westeners.

Why is it shocking? Because it is 2015, not 1820. Religion ceases to be as important in defining culture. I will be shock if you really believe that Virgin Mary got pregnant without having sex with a man or Jesus came back from life. Isn't that the foundation of your religion?

Old 11-24-2015, 04:16 PM

242 posts, read 242,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
really? Then how come in most developed countries religion is becoming less and less important? Go to Paris or Barcelona or Helsinki and ask how imporant religion is. Are all these countries losing their culture?

The Chinese are largey irreligious for their entire history, so are you saying China doesn't have a culture? Most Japanese don't have a religion either and their culture seems to be well liked by westeners.

Why is it shocking? Because it is 2015, not 1820. Religion ceases to be as important in defining culture. I will be shock if you really believe that Virgin Mary got pregnant without having sex with a man or Jesus came back from life. Isn't that the foundation of your religion?
Religion still dictates these cultures. China would not have it's current culture without buddhism and other religions greatly shaping it. This is a fact. France might be atheist in name but all of it's culture derives from the Catholic influence and the same with Québec. Why do we not work on Saturday and Sunday...it's because we come from a Catholic background. Stores closed on Sunday because it's a holy day even in so called atheist Germany. Go see how many people in Sweden are working on Christmas. Culture and religion is linked as one. We can pretend it doesn't but for every atheist their culture is ironically rooted in the religion they are rejecting.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:57 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,485,216 times
Personally, I couldn't care less if everyone were tartan in Canada, or anywhere else. People are just people, after all. We're all born, we all die, we all cry salt tears, and we all bleed red. Who cares what color someone's skin is, or eyes for that matter, or hair?

Old 11-25-2015, 12:36 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,051,858 times
My grandparents would agree. Ugh.

Old 11-25-2015, 06:50 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,016,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
My grandparents would agree. Ugh.
You just hate white people so much, don't you? Even your poor white grandparents, you hate them for being white. Surprised that you don't just commit suicide and do away with yet another terrible white person.

Old 11-26-2015, 03:07 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

I believe that the Virgin Mary became pregnant without sex and yes I believe our Lord Jesus Christ died on a cross for our sins and rose from the dead. Most people around here do believe that. I know this could be used for cheap shots against the US but Christian belief is still strong here, at least here in the Southern US. So the statement that in developed countries religion is losing its importance just does not hold water down here. I believe you would find a lot of religious people across North America, even places you may not expect to find it.

Old 11-26-2015, 07:36 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I believe that the Virgin Mary became pregnant without sex and yes I believe our Lord Jesus Christ died on a cross for our sins and rose from the dead. Most people around here do believe that. I know this could be used for cheap shots against the US but Christian belief is still strong here, at least here in the Southern US. So the statement that in developed countries religion is losing its importance just does not hold water down here. I believe you would find a lot of religious people across North America, even places you may not expect to find it.
I hardly call southern US "developed world". Coastal Chinese cities are more developed than Kentucky, Mississippi, or Alabama. They are simply backwater to me.

I don't deny many people still believe those stories. can't expect everyone to be intelligent at the same time.

Old 11-26-2015, 07:49 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
This thread sucks.

Old 11-26-2015, 07:54 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times
Who cares what Canadians think? They're mostly whimsical idiots. 'White' isn't a culture, and 'white' encompasses a lot of countries that probably have nothing to do with one's own European origin, so what difference does having a higher proportion of one particular skin colour make in any possible way? Racist junk that shouldn't be taken into any kind of democratic consideration now or ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada