U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2015, 04:15 PM

430 posts, read 676,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
A Hyundai Accent costs a fraction of what a Ferrari does. Are you seriously arguing that the Hyundai is "free" to those who want one?
I think it's fair to say that your analogy is borderline nonsensical.

Were you planning to cite any evidence for your assertion that U.S. health care, which ranks poorly by virtually every global metric, is... a Ferrari... whereas Canadian health care is... a Hyundai?

One area I can see that Canada doesn't rate highly is infant mortality. But of course, the U.S. infant mortality rate is even worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 04:22 PM

2,986 posts, read 3,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
I think it's fair to say that your analogy is borderline nonsensical.
So is this moronic assertion that Canadian health care is free. I suppose you also think that our doctors work strictly for charity and our hospitals run on black magic.

Old 09-18-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Soe is this moronic assertion that Canadian health care is free. I suppose you also think that our doctors work strictly for charity and our hospitals run on black magic.
Pretty sure we covered what "free" means (marginal cost = $0 for the patient). I do have a degree in Economics hanging on my wall here if you need more explanation in layperson terms?

And you don't feel like presenting any evidence at all for your ridiculous "Ferrari" assertion, eh? I understand.

Old 09-18-2015, 04:30 PM

2,986 posts, read 3,319,495 times
Seeing how you don't understand what free actually means, why would I waste my time debating ideas with you that require something higher than a grade 2 education?

It's called a "dictionary". Look into it.

Old 09-18-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Seeing how you don't understand what free actually means, why would I waste my time debating ideas with you that require something higher than a grade 2 education?

Cute. I do suggest you take some Econ courses, as you wouldn't be harping on this if you had. Since you brought up my education, I've taken about 17 of them. And several more tangentially related (mostly Securities Regulation related) in law school. Twenty in all.

But hey, what do I know right?

You've completely missed the point, of course, which is that Canadians get marginal cost of zero (would you have known what that means? That's why I said "free" to dumb it down for you) health care through their taxes. Americans pay even higher taxes and most do not receive any health care for it until they reach age 65.

It's not really something that can be substantively argued, which is why you are trying to make a purely semantic argument.

Old 09-18-2015, 04:57 PM

678 posts, read 663,204 times
Quote:

Why do we need to repeat it to you..

We know its not "free", but it still assures that everyone will get it. That doesn't happen in America. Jeez it's like beating a dead horse.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:24 PM

678 posts, read 663,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
No you're not. In the first line you gave them $125K Canadian v. $100K US in Denver.

What your fantasy doesn't note is that it's significantly more expensive to do anything in Calgary v. Denver, so your theoretical windfall doesn't really get you much.

Now in the real world where you work, you get paid $100K, whether it's in Canada or the US, there's an even greater disadvantage as your hampered by your currency of payment.
Not that I would ever live in either Calgary or Denver.

Cost of Living Comparison Between Calgary, Canada And Denver, CO, United States

Old 09-18-2015, 05:32 PM

12,680 posts, read 8,743,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
It's all pretty much waste, but it's a matter of perspective of course. You made an argument that it's fine for American taxpayers to subsidize research for the entire rest of the world instead of covering more U.S. citizens for health care. I don't think that is fine at all. But it works out great for Canadians! They benefit from the U.S. research, and they get covered. For "free" (i.e., a marginal cost, to them, of $0). Better than free, really, when you consider they pay a lower rate of tax and get benefits that are significantly greater in return.

Also, "only" 4% to 6% is absurd when you take a moment to realize that inflation is around 0% to 1%. This is a time when health care costs should be flat, not increasing at a 5% premium to CPI.

But yeah, agree to disagree.
Just glanced at this as I have to run...but it looks like Canada does pretty good considering you have 9 time the population.

https://www.quora.com/What-countries...-past-20-years

Old 09-18-2015, 05:33 PM

12,680 posts, read 8,743,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonwind View Post
Not that I would ever live in either Calgary or Denver.

Cost of Living Comparison Between Calgary, Canada And Denver, CO, United States
Ditto

Old 09-18-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Just glanced at this as I have to run...but it looks like Canada does pretty good considering you have 9 time the population.

https://www.quora.com/What-countries...-past-20-years
Good point. Looks like Edward was wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
The fact remains that the US subsidizes much of the R&D expenses and the entire world benefits as a result.
So yeah, the point is taken. Canada pays lower tax rates, covers 100% of its population. The U.S. pays higher tax rates, covers less than 1/3rd of its population.

And yet Canada additionally still manages to put out its fair share of medical research even after covering all of those additional people. Amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or