U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2015, 06:05 PM

430 posts, read 676,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonwind View Post
Not that I would ever live in either Calgary or Denver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Ditto
I'm not the first to think Calgary has got it going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 07:16 PM

579 posts, read 468,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonwind View Post
I believe people think America is so great is because what it says in the brochure (having a car, having a house in the suburbs, having a backyard, having a front yard, etc...) and yes that is cool and all, but what I've experienced and witnessed is that kind of life usually leads to a universal demise (regardless of country, but mostly in the USA) which is basically developing an obscene level of materialism that starts off with mortgaging a house, leasing cars, spitting out a bunch of kids, getting divorced, paying off leased cars, paying child support, commuting out of the burbs to the city, still paying off said house in the burbs, and then just dying early.
That happens regardless of whether one lives in the suburbs or downtown.

Quote:
There was once someone proudly told me she lives in big house in a gated community in Florida. I was like: if a city needs gated communities, that constitutes great urban failure already.
How is the presence of gated communities an urban failure?

Quote:
People say SF is becoming a niche city for the rich - but I am sorry, if I am a rich person, there are 20 more attractive cities to be than SF.
What could be more attractive than SF?

Quote:
Other than the weather and its natural location, I don't see anything particularly attractive about that city.
That alone is the single largest factor for why people even want to live in SF in the first place, especially if they can't stand either cold or humidity, let alone both.

Quote:
Let's also not forget that the average American college student is VERY likely to have at least 40,000 in college debt after graduating.. double that for people going out of state... that they normally pay off for the rest of their lives, on top of what they pay for the "American dream" (leasing cars they can't afford and the 500k house in Saint. nowheresville Suburbia-land).

I believe Univ. of British Columbia (which is an equally fine public institution) costs like 4k a year or something...
That tuition is undergraduate tuition for Canadian citizens. Internationals pay much more than that.

High undergraduate tuition might be a curse for an undergraduate, but that very tuition money provides a cushion for PhD students in the event their supervisors' research funds get cut, in which case they TA or, less commonly, work other on-campus jobs. In fact, American PhD programs in the humanities and the social sciences are bankrolled by undergraduate tuition money to a much, much greater extent than in the sciences (or in Canada, and probably both)...

Old 09-18-2015, 08:01 PM

58 posts, read 117,367 times
Key differences?

Canada = crap
USA = slightly less crap

Old 09-18-2015, 08:33 PM

3,458 posts, read 4,007,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Just glanced at this as I have to run...but it looks like Canada does pretty good considering you have 9 time the population.

https://www.quora.com/What-countries...-past-20-years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
Good point. Looks like Edward was wrong.

So yeah, the point is taken. Canada pays lower tax rates, covers 100% of its population. The U.S. pays higher tax rates, covers less than 1/3rd of its population.

And yet Canada additionally still manages to put out its fair share of medical research even after covering all of those additional people. Amazing.
How exactly was I wrong? Do you understand how to even read that chart? (I am not being offensive, it is an honest question) Are you able to differentiate between a citation, what actually gets to trial and is published? Also have you factored in early stage medical research, which would not be reflected in that data? As well citations do not tell the whole story, it does not show where the research was conducted? There is a thing called a visiting researcher.

Everyone knows the lifeblood of biomedical research is early stage and typically funded by Venture capital funds. Google "early stage venture capital" The USA and any other country not named Switzerland or Israel and tell me what you find?

Basically if you swing for the fences early and often, you tend to strike out more than someone who sits on the sideline and waits until the research is proven. For comparison purposes, the city I live in secures more VC funding for biomedical research than ALL of Canada. Much of it is early stage. Do you find no benefit in that?

Also your comment about HC inflation earlier made me laugh. I am going to take you at your word and trust that you have an Economics degree. How on earth could you not know that HC expenditures never follow CPI. Try and find one country not named Cuba that has medical inflation that matches CPI. Canada for example in FY14 registered HC inflation that TRIPLED CPI. But the US should not criticized for exceeding expectations?

Also covering 1/3rd of the population? The uninsured rate all of a sudden spiked to 66.6%? Once again more hyperbole.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvanung View Post
That happens regardless of whether one lives in the suburbs or downtown.
I'm not sure it does. People actually have fewer if any children in city centres, and they have lower marriage rates (which probably means lower divorce rates too).

Old 09-18-2015, 08:45 PM

58 posts, read 117,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
How exactly was I wrong? Do you understand how to even read that chart? (I am not being offensive, it is an honest question) Are you able to differentiate between a citation, what actually gets to trial and is published? Also have you factored in early stage medical research, which would not be reflected in that data? As well citations do not tell the whole story, it does not show where the research was conducted? There is a thing called a visiting researcher.

Everyone knows the lifeblood of biomedical research is early stage and typically funded by Venture capital funds. Google "early stage venture capital" The USA and any other country not named Switzerland or Israel and tell me what you find?

Basically if you swing for the fences early and often, you tend to strike out more than someone who sits on the sideline and waits until the research is proven. For comparison purposes, the city I live in secures more VC funding for biomedical research than ALL of Canada. Much of it is early stage. Do you find no benefit in that?

Also your comment about HC inflation earlier made me laugh. I am going to take you at your word and trust that you have an Economics degree. How on earth could you not know that HC expenditures never follow CPI. Try and find one country not named Cuba that has medical inflation that matches CPI. Canada for example in FY14 registered HC inflation that TRIPLED CPI. But the US should not criticized for exceeding expectations?

Also covering 1/3rd of the population? The uninsured rate all of a sudden spiked to 66.6%? Once again more hyperbole.
Just ignore them. They are Canadians. Their DNA makes them delusional about the US. They are bred from birth to be anti everything USA.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:

You're really not showing much insight or understanding here. I didn't say 2/3 of Americans were uninsured, I said only 1/3 of Americans are on Medicaid or Medicare. Many (but not all) other people are insured by footing the bills of insurance themselves through private means. Given that is the case, U.S. taxpayers are getting screwed over by being taxed at higher rates than Canadians and yet not being covered by Medicaid or Medicare for all those many, many dollars they send to the government in hope they will receive something for it that doesn't also benefit the rest of the globe (like R&D, which helps people in Australia as much as it helps Americans).

And U.S. HC is more than quadrupling CPI this year, and you want to give it credit for slowing down? I'll give it credit when it retracts instead of maintaining its non-stop outpaced growth.

The Canadian rate of growth, by the way, is fairly irrelevant, given that it is starting at a point where U.S. HC costs are 200% higher per capita with demonstrably subpar health results.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:59 PM

678 posts, read 663,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcasey25raptor View Post
Key differences?

Canada = crap
USA = slightly less crap
And that would make Africa, what?

Old 09-18-2015, 09:29 PM

3,458 posts, read 4,007,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
You're really not showing much insight or understanding here. I didn't say 2/3 of Americans were uninsured, I said only 1/3 of Americans are on Medicaid or Medicare. Many (but not all) other people are insured by footing the bills of insurance themselves through private means. Given that is the case, U.S. taxpayers are getting screwed over by being taxed at higher rates than Canadians and yet not being covered by Medicaid or Medicare for all those many, many dollars they send to the government in hope they will receive something for it that doesn't also benefit the rest of the globe (like R&D, which helps people in Australia as much as it helps Americans).

And U.S. HC is more than quadrupling CPI this year, and you want to give it credit for slowing down? I'll give it credit when it retracts instead of maintaining its non-stop outpaced growth.

The Canadian rate of growth, by the way, is fairly irrelevant, given that it is starting at a point where U.S. HC costs are 200% higher per capita with demonstrably subpar health results.
Actually it is you that is showing the lack of understanding.

A few questions:

Are you provided insurance through your employer?
Did you purchase insurance through your state health connector?
Do you receive treatment at a health center or system that receives any federal or state funding?

If you answered yes to any of the above, then your HC has been subsidized by the government. So no, it does not strictly go to people on Medicaid or Medicare.

And if you are waiting for HC inflation to retract, then you better leave the planet, because that will never happen....anywhere on this planet we live on.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Actually it is you that is showing the lack of understanding.

A few questions:

Are you provided insurance through your employer?
Did you purchase insurance through your state health connector?
Do you receive treatment at a health center or system that receives any federal or state funding?

If you answered yes to any of the above, then your HC has been subsidized by the government. So no, it does not strictly go to people on Medicaid or Medicare.

And if you are waiting for HC inflation to retract, then you better leave the planet, because that will never happen....anywhere on this planet we live on.
Not to repeat myself, but no, actually, it is you. LOL.

I'm not saying government doesn't "subsidize" things in some small ways here and there. I'm saying that I pay more in taxes than Canadians do, and I deserve full coverage for it. Not little subsidies while I pay several thousands per year just for the insurance that other countries' citizens receive without paying anything in addition to (lower) taxes.

For the very high taxes Americans pay, Americans should be covered by Medicaid or Medicare. Can you argue with that? Because that's what people get in EVERY OTHER POST-INDUSTRIAL SOCIETY but America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or