U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-21-2015, 08:00 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,954 posts, read 27,377,612 times
Reputation: 8612

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

Could be - I wouldn't dismiss this observation outright.. For Quebec is France considered a "rival society" - I take that somewhat as a given but just curious about your perspective.
That's actually a very interesting question.

No France isn't really a rival society for Quebec.

On this particular front, this is one case where Quebec actually does have English Canada on its mind. Chiefly because Anglo-Canada (or at least a reasonable facsimile of it) is the society that a portion of the population living on Quebec territory see themselves as being a part of. That's a good chunk of the anglophone and allophone-immigrant population here.

It's not a huge chunk of the population, perhaps 10% of the total Quebec population. But in Montreal it makes up a larger share, perhaps as much as a quarter or maybe a bit more. So that makes it more visible I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-21-2015, 08:44 PM
 
Location: London, UK
3,458 posts, read 4,012,365 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
You are either not very bright, or just not getting this. Poor scissors shouldn't play with blimps.

The SCOTUS decision did not change ACA at all. It just let it remain law as written. Now go use your calculator and in put $10,000 in income with no kids in Alabama. No subsidy at all.

... any questions?
You are very dense and I better back off before I get another warning (Thanks btw ).

But...why on earth would you plug in 10k when that is a federal subsidy calculator? Medicaid covers anyone who earns under 100% of the FPL. Alabama as per their own Medicaid site has defaulted to the Federally Facilitated Marketplace as of 2015 (Alabama | Medicaid.gov) Which means the Federal Government is determining Medicaid eligibility because they refused to expand Medicaid.

Now I will grant you this, eventually this will run out and the Federal Government will no longer pick up the tab (Similar to the situation in Florida) So they will either expand Medicaid or people will fall back into that coverage gap once again.

The ACA subsides are for those who do not qualify for Medicaid in those states? So to repeat a person who earns 10k in Alabama would be on Medicaid, regardless. It is not that complicated.

Your earlier example of 15k was a better one, because that is the gap you are speaking about and would no longer qualify for FLL Medicaid. So once you type in those numbers you get this result:

results
Your state has not decided to expand Medicaid, but you or some members of your family may still be eligible
Based on the information you provided, you or some members of your family may be eligible for Medicaid. Medicaid is a health coverage program run by states and the Federal government. Under the health reform law, states have the option to expand Medicaid coverage to everyone under 138% of the poverty level. (The federal government pays nearly all of the costs of Medicaid expansion).

At this time, your state has not decided to expand Medicaid. This means that you or members of your family may need to meet special criteria set by your state in order to qualify for Medicaid.

Keep in mind that these results are estimates based on your income and state. For more information and to see if you qualify, visit Healthcare.gov, your state’s Health Insurance Marketplace, or Medicaid program office.

You are likely eligible for financial help through the Health Insurance Marketplace
Based on the information you provided, you are likely eligible for financial help through the Health Insurance Marketplace. Because your income is equal to 129% of the poverty level, you may be eligible for tax credits in the exchanges. This type of financial help is only available to people who cannot get Medicaid and whose incomes are between 100% and 400% of the poverty level. The information below is an estimate of your cost if you buy subsidized Marketplace coverage in 2015:

Estimated financial help: $219 per month ($2,627 per year)
as a premium tax credit. This covers 90% of the monthly costs. Your cost for a silver plan: $25 per month ($302 per year)
in premiums (which equals 2.01% of your household income). The most you have to pay for a silver plan: 2.01% of income for the second-lowest cost silver plan Without financial help, your silver plan would cost: $244 per month ($2,929 per year)



As I said I will take a step back, because you are definitely baiting. But here is another calculator with the current 2015 FLL exemption built in.

ObamaCare Calculator: Subsidies, Tax Credits, Cost Assistance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2015, 08:54 PM
 
Location: Near Manito
19,521 posts, read 20,916,552 times
Reputation: 13858
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
You are very dense and I better back off before I get another warning (Thanks btw ).

But...why on earth would you plug in 10k when that is a federal subsidy calculator? Medicaid covers anyone who earns under 100% of the FPL. Alabama as per their own Medicaid site has defaulted to the Federally Facilitated Marketplace as of 2015 (Alabama | Medicaid.gov) Which means the Federal Government is determining Medicaid eligibility because they refused to expand Medicaid.

Now I will grant you this, eventually this will run out and the Federal Government will no longer pick up the tab (Similar to the situation in Florida) So they will either expand Medicaid or people will fall back into that coverage gap once again.

The ACA subsides are for those who do not qualify for Medicaid in those states? So to repeat a person who earns 10k in Alabama would be on Medicaid, regardless. It is not that complicated.

Your earlier example of 15k was a better one, because that is the gap you are speaking about and would no longer qualify for FLL Medicaid. So once you type in those numbers you get this result:

results
Your state has not decided to expand Medicaid, but you or some members of your family may still be eligible
Based on the information you provided, you or some members of your family may be eligible for Medicaid. Medicaid is a health coverage program run by states and the Federal government. Under the health reform law, states have the option to expand Medicaid coverage to everyone under 138% of the poverty level. (The federal government pays nearly all of the costs of Medicaid expansion).

At this time, your state has not decided to expand Medicaid. This means that you or members of your family may need to meet special criteria set by your state in order to qualify for Medicaid.

Keep in mind that these results are estimates based on your income and state. For more information and to see if you qualify, visit Healthcare.gov, your state’s Health Insurance Marketplace, or Medicaid program office.

You are likely eligible for financial help through the Health Insurance Marketplace
Based on the information you provided, you are likely eligible for financial help through the Health Insurance Marketplace. Because your income is equal to 129% of the poverty level, you may be eligible for tax credits in the exchanges. This type of financial help is only available to people who cannot get Medicaid and whose incomes are between 100% and 400% of the poverty level. The information below is an estimate of your cost if you buy subsidized Marketplace coverage in 2015:

Estimated financial help: $219 per month ($2,627 per year)
as a premium tax credit. This covers 90% of the monthly costs. Your cost for a silver plan: $25 per month ($302 per year)
in premiums (which equals 2.01% of your household income). The most you have to pay for a silver plan: 2.01% of income for the second-lowest cost silver plan Without financial help, your silver plan would cost: $244 per month ($2,929 per year)



As I said I will take a step back, because you are definitely baiting. But here is another calculator with the current 2015 FLL exemption built in.

ObamaCare Calculator: Subsidies, Tax Credits, Cost Assistance
Either that calculator is wrong or I'm being badly swindled by the ACA. Me, Age 69. My wife, age 54. Annual income $45K. Washington state. Your calculator gives my wife's silver plan premium as $341 with subsidy. We currently pay $477 with subsidy. What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2015, 08:58 PM
 
Location: New York, NY
430 posts, read 677,165 times
Reputation: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
You are very dense and I better back off before I get another warning (Thanks btw ).

So to repeat a person who earns 10k in Alabama would be on Medicaid, regardless. It is not that complicated.
I didn't "warn" you about anything, and it's humorous that you continue to not understand how ACA works. I'll keep correcting your nonsense here.

A person earning $10,000 in Alabama is not on Medicaid. The very site you linked says...

Quote:
Eligibility levels:
Parents: 13% of poverty level
Individuals: 0% of poverty level (ineligible for Medicaid)
So again, I ask, do you need anything else explained to you about ACA? You seem to have very little understanding of it for promoting it so much. There's a huge coverage gap, today, and I personally know several people in these gaps who are both ineligible for Medicaid and ineligible for ACA subsidies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2015, 09:06 PM
 
Location: New York, NY
430 posts, read 677,165 times
Reputation: 618
Star-Press, September 19, 2015. That's this past weekend.

Quote:
Here are some losers post-ACA:
• The young and healthy who do not qualify for an exchange subsidy may be paying more (sometimes much more) in insurance premiums, co-pays, and deductibles.
• Those who had their policies canceled because they did not meet the minimum ACA standards and are now possibly paying more for exchange policies. However, many are receiving additional benefits in the ACA-compliant plans.
Those who have had their work hours cut below 30 hours per week because employers are not required to provide insurance to those working below this threshold.
Low-income people in non-Medicaid expansion states in “the coverage gap” who do not qualify for Medicaid but do not make enough to qualify for a subsidy (100 percent of poverty).
See here.

I don't need to tell you that these many, many, many problems that the childless poor have finding coverage under ACA in the U.S. (or keeping jobs that are 40 hours a week rather than 30) are not seen in Canada. And I'll remind you that even if you are one of the lucky ones with coverage, you will pay (1) co-pays and (2) deductibles of thousands of dollars per year on top of the premiums and on top of the same taxes that just pay for nearly everything health related in every other post-industrial society. That's if you can successfully manage to get coverage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2015, 10:16 PM
 
Location: London, UK
3,458 posts, read 4,012,365 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
I didn't "warn" you about anything, and it's humorous that you continue to not understand how ACA works. I'll keep correcting your nonsense here.

A person earning $10,000 in Alabama is not on Medicaid. The very site you linked says...

So again, I ask, do you need anything else explained to you about ACA? You seem to have very little understanding of it for promoting it so much. There's a huge coverage gap, today, and I personally know several people in these gaps who are both ineligible for Medicaid and ineligible for ACA subsidies.
Blimp, just attempt to turn to the correct page before you comment. No one is arguing that states like Alabama do not have a Medicaid gap. What I am saying is until 2016 their eligibility is being operated by the FFM. Do you understand the difference between state vs FFM
eligibility? No wonder people you know are still in this gap because you are most likely advising them to focus on their state when they should be looking elsewhere. I have an uncle that fell into that gap in Florida. He sought the proper advice and now has affordable coverage and is undergoing prostate cancer treatment as we speak.

Of course this expires in 2016 and if states like Alabama do not expand by then, we will have problems. Let's hope they come to their senses by then. Or the federal government decides to continue with the patchwork exemption process they have in place.

Until then until you can separate FFm v. state, we really don't have much more to discuss. Please tell me you understand the difference. For the sake of your "friends" in the gap.

Last edited by edwardsyzzurphands; 09-21-2015 at 10:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2015, 10:24 PM
 
Location: London, UK
3,458 posts, read 4,012,365 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Either that calculator is wrong or I'm being badly swindled by the ACA. Me, Age 69. My wife, age 54. Annual income $45K. Washington state. Your calculator gives my wife's silver plan premium as $341 with subsidy. We currently pay $477 with subsidy. What gives?

Tough to say Yeledaf. There are other factors like personal assets, tax returns, etc...you should contact your state exchange next enrollment period and ask them which insurer was quoted on the HC.gov calculator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2015, 11:37 PM
 
Location: Canada
5,692 posts, read 6,543,509 times
Reputation: 8193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Either that calculator is wrong or I'm being badly swindled by the ACA. Me, Age 69. My wife, age 54. Annual income $45K. Washington state. Your calculator gives my wife's silver plan premium as $341 with subsidy. We currently pay $477 with subsidy. What gives?
I knew there was a reason I never enjoyed math.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2015, 06:51 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
430 posts, read 677,165 times
Reputation: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Blimp, just attempt to turn to the correct page before you comment. No one is arguing that states like Alabama do not have a Medicaid gap. What I am saying is until 2016 their eligibility is being operated by the FFM. Do you understand the difference between state vs FFM
eligibility? No wonder people you know are still in this gap because you are most likely advising them to focus on their state when they should be looking elsewhere. I have an uncle that fell into that gap in Florida. He sought the proper advice and now has affordable coverage and is undergoing prostate cancer treatment as we speak.

Of course this expires in 2016 and if states like Alabama do not expand by then, we will have problems. Let's hope they come to their senses by then. Or the federal government decides to continue with the patchwork exemption process they have in place.

Until then until you can separate FFm v. state, we really don't have much more to discuss. Please tell me you understand the difference. For the sake of your "friends" in the gap.
Do you understand that no one is magically eligible for Medicaid through the marketplace? Please tell me you understand that the FFM can only determine eligibility for ACA. Please. NO ONE is on "federal" Medicaid. That doesn't exist.

So tell me again how someone making $10,000 with no kids in Alabama is on Medicaid? Maybe provide a citation that I don't have to point out to you is proving my point this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2015, 07:28 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
430 posts, read 677,165 times
Reputation: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Either that calculator is wrong or I'm being badly swindled by the ACA. Me, Age 69. My wife, age 54. Annual income $45K. Washington state. Your calculator gives my wife's silver plan premium as $341 with subsidy. We currently pay $477 with subsidy. What gives?
Ouch. Sorry that Obamacare is happening to you. Several insurers, including very large ones, have dropped out of the ACA marketplace so it may be an old quote from a company that no longer participates in the marketplace.

And wow. $500 premium, per month, even with "subsidy." That's like paying a second rent in some areas. That's two extra cars, two extra car payments, in all areas of both our countries. I don't have to tell you that the equivalent premium is $0 in Canada and you get all that coverage through your taxes, and in some or all provinces those Canadian taxes at your income would be lower than you are already paying in the USA even in your state with no state income tax.

We've seen edwardsyzzurphands argue falsely that "every citizen in the nation qualifies for a subsidy through the federal exchange, no matter if their state expanded Medicaid or not" before he abandoned that argument with his tail between his legs. We've seen Annuvin argue that Canadians get nothing more than we do because it comes "out of you taxes,which add up to several thousand dollars a year per Canadian," only to learn that in the USA we pay several more thousands of dollars a year in taxes per American, and even then we also pay these enormous premiums even after subsidy, and even then we still pay co-payments and huge deductibles of thousands of dollars more per American per year even after being covered.

American healthcare, gentlemen. The sad part is that this isn't a case of you get what you pay for. There's just nothing about it that anyone can say is remotely competitive with international standards. EVERY SINGLE OTHER POST-INDUSTRIALIZED SOCIETY GETS MORE FOR LESS. Did I mention that the average lifespan for a Canadian male is 80 years, while the average lifespan for an American male is only 76 years? And it's not just the cold weather. Australian males live to 80 on average, too.

What would we all do with four extra years? And what would we all do with all the extra money from no longer paying premiums or deductibles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top